Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Kendra
Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 64585
Comments: 0

jbirdmo is offline IP: 207.135.173.225

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Here are a few new ones for you to take a look at. Let me know what you think!

View Public Profile Send a private message to jbirdmo Find More Posts by jbirdmo

Re: Kendra
Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51183

mjp321 is offline IP: 173.30.39.44

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Cute model, but I'm left wondering why you put her in the right third of the image in that first photo. Right now, I'm not sure if the tree trunk or the model is supposed to be the main subject.:-) If you made a vertical shot out of the image by cropping just to the left of her, I'd like it a lot more, although I do wish some of the wrinkles had been smoothed out on the jacket. Photo #2 - I like the blurred background, but her face seems kind of soft here. To me, her jeans seem to be a bit more in focus than her face. Even though I've never really been fond of the "I'm going to show you my armpit" pose, and she also doesn't show much expression here, I think it's an okay photo. Photo #3 looks a tad underexposed to me and her face also looks a bit soft here as well. When you focus, are you focusing on the model's eyes?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mjp321 Find More Posts by mjp321

Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

jbirdmo is offline IP: 166.223.69.82

mjp321,
Thanks for the thoughts! The placing of Kendra in the first image was one of my many attempts to work on photos that have a lot of space off to one side of the subject. I've often liked many of the photos that I've seen that are done this way and have been working to figure out what works and what doesn't. I can readily see though that with this being a glamour forum, tightly cropped intimate feeling photos are more the desired result. I'll keep working on it, and yes I would agree, the tree does take some of the attention away from the model.

Regarding focus, I do focus directly on the eye closest to me in most cases, and that certainly is what I was attempting to do here. Most of the soft issues that you are seeing here are due to downsizing the image to 800 pixels on the long side before uploading on to the site. I'm not completely sure, but I think the forum downsizes even further resulting in what we get to see above. The second photo was the only one that was slightly out of focus, and was only noticeable when viewing near full size. Even then the soft look is due to camera movement instead of focus due to the slow shutter speed, large f-stop, and lack of flash. 1/60 hand held @ f2.8 non IS lens.

You're probably right about the underexposure on number three as well. I'm still figuring out how to use the histogram when there is so much variance in the scene. For instance, all the black in the tunnel between the model and the end of the tunnel make for a leftsided histogram. More experience with these kinds of scenes I'm sure will help. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jbirdmo Find More Posts by jbirdmo

Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 65932
Send a message via Skype™ to Wheel*E Industies

Wheel*E Industies is offline IP: 184.1.107.61

Do you mean doing something like this?

I also have better/high quality pics on my Flickr account!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Wheel*E Industies Visit Wheel*E Industies's homepage! Find More Posts by Wheel*E Industies

Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

jbirdmo is offline IP: 70.131.100.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel*E Industies View Post
Do you mean doing something like this?
Well not exactly, though that is kind of a cool concept. I've often seen some photos where the model was off to the far side looking at the camera with a wide open ocean view filling the rest of the frame. Now while I know that above was not ocean this idea was more what I was practicing for. I think I miscalculated just how much presence the tree had...

---Jude

Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 60607
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to Boutdat

Boutdat is offline IP: 71.166.7.7

Nice image Jesse!
I have to agree with MJP and he seem to hit on everything I see in the images. The focusing is the biggest issue with me here and I would wonder if it was me (the shooter) or the camera or settings. Focus lock? Sometimes I use the focus lock feature when a model is moving around in a tight area, but forget to turn it off or on for other types of shots. This has me blowing captures when model moves their head out of the focus spot and leaving me with well focused legs or arm and out of focused head.
My 2 cents...
BTW
Good to see some clean untouched photos.
FlossyFlick photo
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Boutdat Find More Posts by Boutdat

Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

jbirdmo is offline IP: 166.229.165.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boutdat View Post
Nice image Jesse!
I have to agree with MJP and he seem to hit on everything I see in the images. The focusing is the biggest issue with me here and I would wonder if it was me (the shooter) or the camera or settings. Focus lock? Sometimes I use the focus lock feature when a model is moving around in a tight area, but forget to turn it off or on for other types of shots. This has me blowing captures when model moves their head out of the focus spot and leaving me with well focused legs or arm and out of focused head.
My 2 cents...
BTW
Good to see some clean untouched photos.
Derrick,
Thanks for the comment. When uploading pictures to this forum if the original file is larger than than 600 x 600 pixels the board will re-size the file which will result in a soft looking image. In this case, the above images had been re-sized once already to 800 pixels on the long side, and then the board cut them again. When I uploaded these photos I didn't really think there was going to be a problem with that, but have since learned that I never want to re-size a jpg more than once. The loss of information each time is exponential. Now when I re-size photos for various websites, I will check on the specifications of that particular site and re-size from the original image to that size. This has helped a great deal in maintaining sharp images even in low res placements.

---Jude

Old 01-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39818

JohnWalsh is offline IP: 99.132.124.232

Nice images. Her waist needs to be touched up though.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JohnWalsh Visit JohnWalsh's homepage! Find More Posts by JohnWalsh