Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Your thoughts (NSFW)
Old 09-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 65416
Comments: 0

SteveSweeter is offline IP: 74.226.132.63

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I love getting and giving critiques. Since I plan to make a few comments, it's only fair to hang myself out for criticism.

This is one of my favorites, though it is fraught with technical problems. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it. To save repetition, I already know that it is a bit underexposed and that I amputated the poor girl's toes. I have a bad habit of doing that, but I'm working on it.

Hit me with your best shot!

View Public Profile Send a private message to SteveSweeter Find More Posts by SteveSweeter

Re: Your thoughts (NSFW)
Old 09-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40641

DanNV is offline IP: 75.142.241.77

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, the first thing that hit me was the tree grwoing out of her head. Her fiongers look a little odd, too.

Dan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DanNV Find More Posts by DanNV

Old 09-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 71.60.63.140

Why do you say it's underexposed? I see detail in her hair, and the whites of her nailtips and thong strap seem truly white.

The problems is see are mostly posing, composition and styling - the tree, like Dan pointed out, and her hands and left arm, her feet tensed, and so forth. I think the exposure is fine.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

This is why I love getting critiques. The tree never entered my mind, but now that you point it out, it looks exactly like it's growing out of her head.

As for the posing, she is not a model, though I have been trying hard to get her to go that way. She was pretty nervous. I had to resist the temptation to grab her hands, arms, and legs and put them where I wanted them.

I adjusted the exposure before I posted it. There is detail in her hair, but there are several places where it is bottomed out around her hair and in the tree.

Thanks for the critiques guys!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SteveSweeter Find More Posts by SteveSweeter

Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSweeter View Post
=====================

As for the posing, she is not a model, though I have been trying hard to get her to go that way. She was pretty nervous. I had to resist the temptation to grab her hands, arms, and legs and put them where I wanted them.

==========
It is important to know how to inform a model how they look and how to move or change their position.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 09-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35279
Comments: 4
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Earl53

Earl53 is offline IP: 71.169.150.190

What Iíve found over the years is when a photographer has a pretty nude woman or even just a pretty woman in front of his camera that they lose sight of whatís in the photo. Things like the background, amputation of body parts, lighting, shadows and anything that makes up a photo. The eye is on the subject and thatís as far as it goes. When I started out I did the same thing and learned to look at the whole picture. I still do it so its hard to break.

I try to go into a shoot with the thought of its better to get one great shot than 150 bad ones.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 61.32.46.9

It may be a tad underexposed, but it's fairly flat lighting as well. Where you using a flash on a bracket above the camera? You really need to get the light off the camera and use a reflecor or second flash for fill.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 09-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 60758

luisv is offline IP: 65.12.234.50

I have to say, like some others, what hits me is mostly composition, set and pose. I don't feel the lighting is flat but rather the set colors are. You have shadows to give definition. You notice the breast line, abs a bit and her ribs. If it was flat you'd see none of that.

Look into getting some bolder or, at least, darker color to set her off. Right now everything is in a middle earth tone, including her. A chocolate colored chair for example, would have given you more contrast.

On the poses, I agree that you have to get to a point where you know what you are looking for and direct the model. To make it easier for newer models is to show them the pose somehow. For example, in the studio, I have a TV where I post photos with pose concepts. I give the model a starting point and we work from there. All models and figures are different, so don't fixate on copying a pose, but rather on fine tuning it for the model. When not in the studio, I carry a book with tear sheets. It's a 2 inch binder with magazine shots i've seen with poses similar to what I have in mind. Again, we work from there. The shoot is then typically shooting the model and showing her how to fine tune the pose. For example, relaxing the toes, changing the hand positions, ect.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to luisv Find More Posts by luisv

Old 09-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl53 View Post
What Iíve found over the years is when a photographer has a pretty nude woman or even just a pretty woman in front of his camera that they lose sight of whatís in the photo. Things like the background, amputation of body parts, lighting, shadows and anything that makes up a photo. The eye is on the subject and thatís as far as it goes. When I started out I did the same thing and learned to look at the whole picture. I still do it so its hard to break.

I try to go into a shoot with the thought of its better to get one great shot than 150 bad ones.
You nailed it Earl. This was my third session with a model. I think I was paying more attention to capturing how pretty she is, than to setting up the shot and getting the composition right.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfharper View Post
It may be a tad underexposed, but it's fairly flat lighting as well. Where you using a flash on a bracket above the camera? You really need to get the light off the camera and use a reflecor or second flash for fill.
I shot this before I picked up a better lens and before I read Rolando's book. It's from my third photo session with a model. I was from the "light everywhere" school of photography, having learned to shoot outdoors and on the open ocean. It was shot with a small softbox on the right, well above the subject, and a barn doors and grid arrangement immediately behind me and to my left. There was a small background light behind the chair to give the boxes on the right some detail (yep, I know, too busy). The ambient coming in the window was very strong as well.