Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Carrie
Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 64585
Comments: 0

jbirdmo is offline IP: 72.161.140.8

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A shot I did with available light. Large bay window camera left, reflector camera right.

And another with the same setup

This one is a lot more complicated with the lighting.

5' umbrella as the main from front camera left (just our of frame), small shoot through umbrella camera left from behind subject, and a bare speedlite, camera right from behind subject. Reflector for fill on face, camera right (just out of the frame).

I'm a little nervous about posting for the first time, but most of you seem like pretty easy going guys, so here it is. I'm here to learn, and I'm interested in your thoughts for how I could have improved these photographs.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jbirdmo Find More Posts by jbirdmo

Re: Carrie
Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 96.27.135.211

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The lighting is very nice in these images. Compostition is nice as well. The only thing I would have changed is the frame behind the model in the last image. It's kind of distracting so I would have framed to eleminate it if possible.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 07-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

jbirdmo is offline IP: 72.161.140.8

Thanks Mark! I understand about the frame in the background. I didn't see it before as much as I do now. I would have just removed it from the wall, but alas it was one of those mirrors actually built in.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jbirdmo Find More Posts by jbirdmo

Old 07-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43624
Comments: 4
Send a message via MSN to numee

numee is offline IP: 74.241.226.99

Lighting is so good...in this shot it was your friend..beautiful lighting..
As Mark said the frame in the last photo aaaahh...Mask, clone or something to get it out..
Good luck, good shooting and much success.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to numee Find More Posts by numee

Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

jbirdmo is offline IP: 69.179.165.145

Thanks Numee. I might possibly fix the photo if I were to need it somewhere, but as it was I just took this quick shot while playing with light. Instead, I'll just consider the included frame as "learning experience" and do better on the next one. Personally, I really dislike "fixing photos". I strive to get it right in the camera and consider it done. If I encounter things like the frame in this photo later on it helps me remember not to do that again!
None of the above photos were post processed in anyway.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51183

mjp321 is offline IP: 173.25.218.59

I'll only address the third image. I'm not sure of the purpose of the shoot through umbrella from camera left (used to light the background or directed at the model?), but it looks to me like it added a lot of extra light to the right side of her face, making the general lighting pattern on her face look "off". Your bare speedlite camera right acted as a bit of a hair light and gave some nice rim lighting to her left arm, but it also seemed to have created a highlight above her left eyebrow. You need to use some type of flag/gobo to keep the light from going where you don't want it to go. As for your main light, I believe it's too low. I don't like nose shadows that take an upward turn, and it's generally not encouraged to set your main light that low.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mjp321 Find More Posts by mjp321

Old 08-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

jbirdmo is offline IP: 69.179.165.145

mjp321,
Thanks for the critique. One of things that had always bothered me about the photo were the way the shadows were on the face, and I do agree with you that the light was too low. I've spent considerable time going over the setup to see how it should have been improved. I think you're also on to something with the shoot through on camera left. While I don't think that it added much to the models face (it was too far back) it was aimed at the model. Not being completely used to shoot through umbrellas, I failed to consider how much light would go the reverse direction and spill all over the room. I noticed while shooting that I had a full range of shutter speeds that I could use, and it didn't change the exposure much. I probably would have been better off placing another bare speedlite on that side instead of the shoot through as it was the rim lighting that I was after that never actually showed up on that side. Thanks again for the critique, do you have images somewhere so that I might be able to view your work?

---Jude

Old 08-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51183

mjp321 is offline IP: 173.30.39.100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirdmo View Post
mjp321,
I noticed while shooting that I had a full range of shutter speeds that I could use, and it didn't change the exposure much.
---Jude
When you're using flash, it's basically your flash power setting and your aperture that control your lighting. Because of the duration of the flash, your shutter speed has minimal effect on exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirdmo View Post
Thanks again for the critique, do you have images somewhere so that I might be able to view your work?
---Jude

I'm pretty much a hobbyist and I used to have a few images in my portfolio here 4 or 5 years ago, but the constant upgrades to this site always deleted them. I mostly post images to another glamour forum, though. I wish I had the equipment that you do, as I'm still using hot lights (where the shutter speed does have an effect!). I work in the video field so I just use my Lowel DP lights with 1000 and 500 watt lamps. Just like you, though, I'm using a 5' umbrella as my main, but I also have a 4' umbrella that I usually use as a fill light (bounce, not shoot-through), plus two unmodified lights that I use as background lights or rim lights, depending on what color background I'm shooting against. I normally use the barn doors on the lights to prevent spill when using them as rim lights.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mjp321 Find More Posts by mjp321