Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Could use some advice - first time shooting humans
Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63991
Comments: 3

ajscalzitti is offline IP: 24.178.71.125

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Let me say hello first, Hello everyone. I have not shot anything really in 20 years, and I never shot people (wildlife/travel) so I am fighting the digital learning curve as well.

If you all would not mind letting me know what I am doing wrong please, it would help me greatly

Click for larger version
Could use some advice - first time shooting humans 

I also want's sure about what size I should link, sorry about that if I broke any protocols.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ajscalzitti Visit ajscalzitti's homepage! Find More Posts by ajscalzitti
Last edited by ajscalzitti; 12-07-2009 at 05:33 PM..

Re: Could use some advice - first time shooting humans
Old 12-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Wow, views and no comments - I could have done something right, or very wrong
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ajscalzitti Visit ajscalzitti's homepage! Find More Posts by ajscalzitti

Old 12-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 97.117.251.59

Hello, if you are a new member welcome to Garage Glamour and if you are an existing member welcome back.

It is best to post images in the GG Forums from images that you have uploaded to your Profile. When you post the image to the Forums look at the HTML (or some call it BB Code). In that code you will see the word "Large" and the word 'Small" in the code. These words affect how the image(s) are displayed in you Forum post. If you leave the HTML as it is the initial image will post as a thumbnail and viewers will have to click on the image to make it a usable size for viewing. If you edit the code so that both words say "Large" the image will post at its native size (ie: 640 x 480) in your post making it easier for members to view it.

Repost your image and give that a try. Good luck.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 64134

briankdonnelly is offline IP: 72.58.185.32

Yeah, I found I had a lot of views of my first shots I posted the other day, but very few comments. Like yours, mine are possibly too tame to get the comment mill excited. So I'm a newbie here, but I'll give you comment from a newbie's perspective.

First the obvious, the model is beautiful and I like the pose. I could do without the jacket though. While it does accentuate her assets, it makes her look too big to have fit in the jacket in the first place. Makeup looks good. I assume you jacked up the eyes in post - they might be a bit hot. If they're as shot, wow! If not, I might have backed them down just a bit to see if they blended a bit more with the feel of the image. The lock of hair hanging in front of her face might be bothering me, or it might not. Can't decide.

The lighting looks great to me. The skin tones look nice and help suggest shape to her face, glint on her lip is nice, hair looks terrific in that light. I might have liked a variation on the background. The color is fine, but the hard lines of the bell and structure , while guiding the eye to the face, are trying to distract me. Fortunately, the model is attractive enough that the bell loses that fight.

So things I might adjust: lock of hair, jacket, background (maybe just more diffuse?)

Things I like: lighting, clarity, model & pose, and the overall comfortable feeling of the image.

Post some others from this series if you have them. For what its worth, I'll comment!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to briankdonnelly Find More Posts by briankdonnelly

Old 12-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Dave, thank you - the native editor wasn't giving me access to the HTML (IE only maybe?). I haved around and hope that is better.

Brian, thank you as well. The feedback is great, I really don't know PS all that well or I would have adjusted the hair more. As for the eyes, I really didn't do much - I bumped the white a little, as there wasn't anything else I was impacting I got away with a little cheat. I really need to work on learning PS a bit more - she is just that pretty Maybe I could have used a little less DoF to blur that background more. Oh, it was only like 48f outside - so the coat was on and off a lot, we don't do cold well down south.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it all the help so far - and if anyone needs advice on taking pictures of things that want to eat you I am happy to offer my experience.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 97.117.251.59

Anthony:

I am glad you were able to get the image posted in a usable form. The HTML code is there and readily visible if you load photos from your Profile on Garage Glamour. You need to upload some samples of your work to your Profile and then if you want to post a photo for criticism you can load it from your Profile. If you need help with this let me know and I will walk you through it.

For some comments on your photo I think the background is way too busy and takes away from your model. She was too close to the background and even shooting wide open would not have fixed it. Next time try to put a fair amount of distance between your model and any hard objects in the background. Before you raise the camera to your eye scan around for things like that and if possible move right or left to minimize the distractions.

Something else to remember is when you are doing Headshots zoom in tight.

The stray hair is also a distraction as previously mentioned. When you have your camera to your eye always look at the model for things like that and the best way to resolve something like this is to ask the model if you can touch her to adjust her hair or necklace or earrings or whatever and always remember to ask first. It usually is not a good idea to have the model do something like this once you have posed her because it destroys the pose.

As far as PhotoShop is concerned don't worry about it. You need to learn how use your camera and get the most from it before you start getting fancy in PhotoShop. There are far too many Digital Debbies and Uncle Alberts out there giving those of us who are serious a bad name for one more to be added. Make your images as close to perfect as you can in the camera before you push the shutter button.

If you want to do some reading on PhotoShop techniques there are a lot of good ones on this web site posted by Rolando Gomez and the late Roger Smith as well as others.

I am attaching a couple of my photos and while they are far from perfect I hope they can give you an indication of what I am talking about.

Good luck, keep shooting, and feel free to post often.

Click for larger version

Click for larger version
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1
Last edited by PhotoDave1; 12-07-2009 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 12-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 96.27.144.221

I think it looks pretty good. I agree with the comment on the jacket. It looks like you may have underexposed just a little although the overall lighting ratio looks pretty good. What color space are you saving in for the web? If your not using SRGB you could be loosing a little pop there.

Model is Michelene, Makeup by Lori Rosas

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 12-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks again Dave, my skills are a bit out of date - dodge and blur for what felt like hours with the enlarger. Photoshop is so much simpler, but so far I only do the very basic (dodge and blur) as well as color balance etc. I understand about the backgrounds, I had several others I made the mistake on - but she had such a great look in this one I couldn't drop it

mfharper, thank you for you comments. I noticed my Nikon tends to overexpose a bit in outdoor high contrast shots, I may have over compensated a bit. I think I exported that in sRGB but may have left it in adobe - have to check that one