Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Lingerie Model - Critique
Old 05-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54083
Comments: 0

OhioPhotography is offline IP: 69.135.193.44

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Your thoughts please. I am new & I am trying to improve. If you have nothing positive to say then please say that, but I would prefer to hear more specific thoughts good or bad.

View Public Profile Send a private message to OhioPhotography Visit OhioPhotography's homepage! Find More Posts by OhioPhotography

Re: Lingerie Model - Critique
Old 05-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 68.159.40.146

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Cute model. The lighting in #1 is better than 2 but the wall sconce is distracting. The lighting in number 2 just doesn't make sense to the eye so I'm guessing there was some serious PS work done on it.

These are a nice start for being new. Keep playing with various lighting and work to get it right in the camera with minimal PS work.

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 05-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404
Comments: 2

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

The light isn't bad in either photo, but not particularly good either. Plus the wall thingy's shadow is a distraction. for the First photo I would suggest moving the light to your right and edge light her. And if the shadows are too harsh to the left use a fill card to open them us some. This would get rid of the thingys shadows and give you some more interesting light. Of course you could take the thingy off the wall, but I would still light from the right here.

In the second photo she looks a little weird, not sure what it is... the shadows above her eyes are kinda distracting. And I think I'l like to se the lamp in the foreground lit.

I'm guessing these are made with evening sunlight coming in a window so you can't move it around and you are having to deal with it as you find it. So in that case... in the first photo, move yourself to the right of here so that she's edge lit. In the second, still turn on the lamp.

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR

Old 05-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

To add a couple of specifics to what's been said above, her angle in #1 and the shadows it's created on her stomach make her look like she's a bit pot bellied. She's clearly not, but the way the shadows fall tend to make her look that way. And I keep thinking "what's that thing growing out of her head?"

i REALLY like #2 (I'm a sucker for square crops anyway lol), the only thing that I immediately noticed is that the shadow line going up her body and up the wall is incongruous with the level of light on her face. It's like the stripe goes, disappears, then reappears. My eyes are going "wait, what?"

I can see where you're going with both of them, and I like it, and you're just a hair away from dialing it in. These are not, however, "do overs" - just keep dialing it in. Almost there (wherever that is lol).

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 05-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35219

chunglee is offline IP: 67.86.111.115

your photography is working for after seeing more of your stuff. your point of view is coming through.

cl
  View Public Profile Send a private message to chunglee Visit chunglee's homepage! Find More Posts by chunglee

Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.192.130

I like the first one. Unlike Chung, I don't "feel" the second at all.
Thanks for sharing. Overall, nice stuff.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54083

OhioPhotography is offline IP: 69.135.193.44

Thanks for all of the insight!

These were photographed with a single flash being shot through a cuccaloris. I see what JonScott is saying about the stomach issue created by the angle of light, and other than her stomach and the shadow from the wall sconce I really like the angle the light is coming from and how it is being broken up.

The Photoshop work done on the second image is only on the face where the exposure was lifted for a bit of a face light effect. Apparently it doesn't work, live and learn. The candelabra could be lit in PS, but not as a practical. We did not have permission to touch, move, ...breathe on any of the set pieces or props at this seasonal attraction. I had the intent of sending these two images off to a retoucher (shadows in first image, candles in second) but wanted to hear feedback on the images before I dedicated money and time to developing them further. ...suppose I will think about it.

As for the motivation of the light, yes evening-ish light coming through a window was the general effect, but not how it was created (artificial flash), I typically prefer a secondary edge light in my photos, but had neither the time (5 min. at end of day) nor the space in the room and the image suffers for it.

Anymore critiques/comments?
Thanks to everyone who's commented so far! It's always hugely appreciated.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to OhioPhotography Visit OhioPhotography's homepage! Find More Posts by OhioPhotography