Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Illyse
Old 05-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35797
Comments: 0

glhstudio is offline IP: 65.12.105.164

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

comments welcome

gary

Re: Illyse
Old 05-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35219

chunglee is offline IP: 67.86.111.115

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

gary,

unless there is some context to the blue ball, it's a little distracting. less is more.

cl
  View Public Profile Send a private message to chunglee Visit chunglee's homepage! Find More Posts by chunglee

Old 05-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.162

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunglee View Post
gary,

unless there is some context to the blue ball, it's a little distracting. less is more.

cl

Circles were used in some retro pinups, and most of the time the photographer, or artists (if it was a sketch) did not place them in any context.

I didn't google for an example. There is some enjoyment to be had in looking for them.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 05-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 75.25.30.234

Didn't the ball typically reflect some color that was found in the rest of subject imagery?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 05-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35219

chunglee is offline IP: 67.86.111.115

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post

Circles were used in some retro pinups, and most of the time the photographer, or artists (if it was a sketch) did not place them in any context.

I didn't google for an example. There is some enjoyment to be had in looking for them.

the ball is the least significant element in a retro pinup. this image it's the most prominent and doesn't even match. using stylistic elements in a haphazard way is worse then not using it at all.

cl
  View Public Profile Send a private message to chunglee Visit chunglee's homepage! Find More Posts by chunglee

Old 05-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.162

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Didn't the ball typically reflect some color that was found in the rest of subject imagery?
Sometimes. Keep in mind this was not a technique widely used.

This one (below) seems to have nothing more to do with the subject than become the background, and the color doesn't match anything the model is wearing.

http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/donrust012LG.jpg

This orange ball might represent the setting sun, who knows? Other than that it is just there, floating.
http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/...get-018-LG.jpg

A "double whammy" on this one, but white goes with everything, I guess.
http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/...gue-100-LG.jpg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 06-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37651

rdavis is offline IP: 69.15.164.92

The ball does make the viewer think Pinup since that is the only genre I've ever seen use it, but IMHO I don't think this image is pinup.

The model looks great and I really like her swimsuit. Not so sure about her expression. If it had been more over the top "ohh, surprise" it would have pushed the image more into pinup.

But pinup is retro and requires retro hair, and clothing as well as expression.

Nice image and the model looks great.

Practical Pinup Online Workshop
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rdavis Visit rdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by rdavis

Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.167

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis View Post
The ball does make the viewer think Pinup since that is the only genre I've ever seen use it, but IMHO I don't think this image is pinup.

The model looks great and I really like her swimsuit. Not so sure about her expression. If it had been more over the top "ohh, surprise" it would have pushed the image more into pinup.

Your comment about the hair, etc, is correct. I mentioned that fact earlier, about another shot. I was only referring to the use of the circle.

glh didn't mention whether he was going for an authentic vintage pinup look or if this was more a copy of the style, with a modern twist.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 24.197.124.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post
Sometimes. Keep in mind this was not a technique widely used.

This one (below) seems to have nothing more to do with the subject than become the background, and the color doesn't match anything the model is wearing.

http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/donrust012LG.jpg

This orange ball might represent the setting sun, who knows? Other than that it is just there, floating.
http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/...get-018-LG.jpg

A "double whammy" on this one, but white goes with everything, I guess.
http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/...gue-100-LG.jpg
Other pin up samples.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/list.php?list_id=195403
http://www.modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=15033&view_all=1
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 96.27.144.221

I agree that a retro pinup image should have retro hair and clothing as well however, we all have to start somewhere. Retro clothing is pretty hard to find in my area. The hair is easier, but you still have to find a stylist that can do it and on my budget thats not easy. I'll eventually get there, but in the mean time I progress a little at a time. Here's one from one of my recent shoots. Ball and all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis View Post

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper