Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Your thought on this one of Crystal?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 96.27.144.221

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

We were trying for a retro pin up look. How could I improve on this in the future?

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Re: Your thought on this one of Crystal?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 58875
Comments: 7

Hdvannjr is offline IP: 72.184.10.69

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfharper View Post
We were trying for a retro pin up look. How could I improve on this in the future?

Mark I like it! I like it a lot! I am certainly not qualified to answer your question, but I think some of the purists might find fault with the scuffed sole of her shoe and the stocking run. Both an easy fix in photoshop. I truly applaud the photograph though. I keep a file of favorites on my computer. This will be added to it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Hdvannjr Visit Hdvannjr's homepage! Find More Posts by Hdvannjr

Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Thanks for the kind words. I see your point about the shoe sole.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 04-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.162

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfharper View Post
I really like the concept, and when I think of pin up, I usually visualize it with a white high key surrounding, as you have here, and with a few props, as you also have..

I believe when shooting any concept, the entire "look" needs to be as accurate as possible. Here are some suggestions for "in the future" as you mentioned :

Most pinup models had (by today's standards) an overabundance of make up, and most of the time bight red lipstick. The expressions were nearly always much more whimsical, and many times with partially open lips, almost as they were going to pucker up and give you a little kiss . The hair style might need some redoing.. more curly,.. for the 40' or 50s look.

The background reflection in the mirror might work better if it were also high key. And for some reason the wire soda shop chair and the wooden mirror are a bit out of character.

With that said, any attempt I had made would probably not have been this good. So, I have no image to post that validates my comments, but will post an obligatory one.

Click for larger version
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

All very good point BenE, thanks for the response.

www.hhphoto.net

Old 05-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62812
My Mood:

Atlas_Aus is offline IP: 124.177.138.194

Hi Mark,

I like this a lot I ma certainly not at this level to give it a go.. yet

Besides what has already been mentioned, I would have perhaps liked to have seen the models whole head in the mirror and the chair removed from background in the mirror.

Great work
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Atlas_Aus Find More Posts by Atlas_Aus

Old 05-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404
Comments: 2

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

I like it, lighting wise.. about the only thing I would suggest would be a little more dominant and harder main light. Your light is so all over soft it's kinda flat. I like her face in the mirror, but she looks a little blank.
A main component of Pin Up is the lets have fun/I'm so happy/lets's have sex look. And she doesn't have that look.

What you can do for this photo to make it pop is to up your contrast a little bit (preferably with an s-curve in curves so it doesn't hammer your highlights or shadows to bad) and up the color saturation a bit.

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR

Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37651

rdavis is offline IP: 69.15.164.92

The concept and wardrobe are dead on for pinup. Doing pinup on white is fine and the props you are using add to the image and the concept.

The thing that jumps out at me as a negative, is it seems tilted. Mostly this is with the mirror and the chair, though the model is probably titled a little too. A quick straighten by a few degrees would probably help.

You've got two images in this one image and one is really strong and the other less so.

The image in the mirror is hard to see. I think that is because it is less bright, something it would be hard to fix in the studio. Also she is hyperextending her arms. And the expression isn't very pinup.

There is something on the floor under the chair in the mirror, that isn't in the foreground image.

The image of her from behind is great and she looks close to perfect.

It's a good image and I don't want to come off harsh. Hope it helps.

Ron

Practical Pinup Online Workshop
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rdavis Visit rdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by rdavis