Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
hey pros, nevermind. I'll get help elsewhere
Old 04-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57135
Comments: 0
My Mood:

JUSTA_NEWBIE is offline IP: 76.19.127.36

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

screw it
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE
Last edited by JUSTA_NEWBIE; 04-09-2009 at 12:32 PM..

Re: hey pros, your helps needed here please?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 173.22.219.19

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

What kind of PRO photographer?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Old 04-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Oehler View Post
What kind of PRO photographer?
lol well i can best explain it as " A KNOW IT ALL" kind of photographer. But please, whats your critique? was i way off? Was i spot on? what advise would you give on this photo to improve it?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE

Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54108
Send a message via AIM to DavidsStudio

DavidsStudio is offline IP: 76.253.68.142

Generally a good photo. I would deal with the stray hairs especially the one running across her right eye. I'm not a big fan of tattoos and find the one peeking in on the right a bit distracting. I might do a very light vignette to tone down the outer edges and help focus the image more on her face.

Is that the kind of critique you were looking for?

David

p.s. beautiful model
"A desire not to butt into other people's business is at least eighty percent of all human 'wisdom'...and the other twenty percent isn't very important." ~ Jubal Harshaw, in Robert Heinlein's Stranger In a Strange Land
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidsStudio Visit DavidsStudio's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidsStudio

Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 96.27.144.221

I think I would iron my background next time. The choice of posing props should be reconsidered. I think that chair is a little distracting. Highlights may be a little hot, but that may just be my monitor.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTA_NEWBIE View Post
OKAY, If someone who says they are a PRO photographer, presented you this pic, and says there isnt a thing wrong with it, what would you say to them about this pic please??
This pic, to me, the nose's shadow is to harsh, it gives a hook type look to it. and it's hard to tell on the right side of the pic where her nose and side of her nose seperate. and finally the nose tip is to shiney. Is that a fair and accurate critique in your eyes? Or am i out of my mind and wrong on it all? Please let me know?

Thanks
From reading your question, I assume this is not something you shot, but is something by another photographer that you want others to critique.
I am not sure what your reason would be, other than to maybe wave this under the photographer's nose and let him know he is not a pro and you can prove it.
If I am misreading or misinterpreting, I apologize. If I am correct, I do not believe this is a "professional" approach for obtaining critiques on anther photographer's work.
If it is your work, that is another matter, and I would be happy to give my thoughts.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post
From reading your question, I assume this is not something you shot, but is something by another photographer that you want others to critique.
I am not sure what your reason would be, other than to maybe wave this under the photographer's nose and let him know he is not a pro and you can prove it.
If I am misreading or misinterpreting, I apologize. If I am correct, I do not believe this is a "professional" approach for obtaining critiques on anther photographer's work.
If it is your work, that is another matter, and I would be happy to give my thoughts.
no, what I am asking is, was my critique a fare and accurate critique of the photo, and whats your critique if different than mine. I am not going to throw them in his face etc. I just want to know if I am seeing things that aren't there. Am I being to critical because I have a big nose?
When i gave my critique i was accused of not critiqueing the photo but instead, calling the model a hook nose. Then another person piped up and said there was nothing wrong with it at all.

So now I am second guessing myself and wondering was I wrong or right.

But to me, the shadow under the nose does in fact give her nose, a hook shape,( am I wrong? Am I making it up?) which i believe is easily corrected by just something to reflect a small amount of light into that area, making the shadow not so harsh and giving some detail to the dark area etc.
the brighter part of her nose(the tip and right side as we view it), looks odd shaped because there is no seperation from her nose and side of her nose. And finally the hot spot on the tip of her nose. It's shiney and I pointed that out also.
so was i right? Was I wrong? whats your take on it?

Old 04-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 24.99.255.31

Quote:
no, what I am asking is, was my critique a fare and accurate critique of the photo, and whats your critique if different than mine. I am not going to throw them in his face etc. I just want to know if I am seeing things that aren't there. Am I being to critical because I have a big nose?
When i gave my critique i was accused of not critiqueing the photo but instead, calling the model a hook nose. Then another person piped up and said there was nothing wrong with it at all.

So now I am second guessing myself and wondering was I wrong or right.

But to me, the shadow under the nose does in fact give her nose, a hook shape,( am I wrong? Am I making it up?) which i believe is easily corrected by just something to reflect a small amount of light into that area, making the shadow not so harsh and giving some detail to the dark area etc.
the brighter part of her nose(the tip and right side as we view it), looks odd shaped because there is no seperation from her nose and side of her nose. And finally the hot spot on the tip of her nose. It's shiney and I pointed that out also.
so was i right? Was I wrong? whats your take on it?
Not to be disrespectful but what does it matter if your critique was fair and accurate? It is your critique and your opinion as you see it and I have a feeling that by your post you are seeking validation of your opinions of the image.

People photograph in styles that suit them and the only opinions that truly matter are of the photographer, the model, and the client if there is one.

The purpose of Garage Glamour is for us as a community to help each other and not to judge the work of third parties. Had the photographer wanted this (or any) other photos critiques they could have posted it for themselves provided they are a member of Garage Glamour.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Re: hey pros, nevermind. I'll get help elsewhere
Old 04-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.98

Quote:
screw it

Why not post one of your own images, if you want to actually learn?

All I am saying is, in my opinon, to take another photographer's work and ask for a critique is not a professional thing to do.

What if some photographer took one of your images and posted it here and asked for critiques, how would that make you feel?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Re: hey pros, nevermind. I'll get help elsewhere
Old 04-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.191.15.133

Newbie,

Let me help you out here. First, printed words will always sound harsher than spoken words, don't take things so personal. Second, never post someone else's image without their permission or for critique. Third, lose the "screw it" attitude. That doesn't help anyone, not you nor this community and shows lack of professionalism.

Now, solution: One, post an image of yours for critique, but be prepared to not agree, that's ok, photography is subjective. Two, if you want to see how good your critiques pair up, then critique an image on a post here and see how others critique it too. You can learn a lot from that. Always critique constructive, not destructive. Three, welcome to the Internet forums, sometimes they can "feel" brutal, again, don't take it personally.

I hope that helps and have patience my friend it will go a long ways. Thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez