Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Reviews and critiques?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.95

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I certainly hope no one thinks I am being rude or causing a problem.

Even after being a photographer for 39 years, I still realize there are many concepts and ideas I can or need to learn about photography, but when I look at the critique section and see comments like. "I love this one", or "my fav is #so and so", or some other comment with no explanation about why or what..... I get a bit discouraged.
Heck, I can go to many forums and see those comments.

At times I want to ask "Why do you love that one?", or "why is that your fav?", but my experience is by asking, the replies take on a non-constructive tone.

I know there are some really great photographers who come to GG, and I know I can learn from many of them.

I just wish this section would be more about reviews and critiques than the "attaboy" comments.

View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Re: Reviews and critiques?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52976
Comments: 43
My Mood:

soupman is offline IP: 75.41.1.101

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You're absolutely right and that is why we want to share on GG. Here are some excuses that flitter through my mind when I feel guilty for not spending the time to comment on every photo that is posted...

Excuse #1: I am tired many times when I get to GG and unless I am really inspired, I just say I like #2.

Excuse #2: It takes time to really study a portrait and form a critique that is meaningful. Of course, the critique can be technical (which I am weak at) or subjective (which I can discuss at length). Sometimes, I really don't like something in particular about the photo (I find the subject repulsive, I don't like the model, the photography is really off the mark or I don't like the style even though it is well executed).

Excuse 3: On another level, after you write several paragraphs for a number of posts and your photos are never commented on one begins to question whether their effort is equally appreciated.

Excuse 4: Also, when folks post three, four or more photos, some of which may be larger than my viewing area, I don't even want to start discussing why I like a photo. I figure if they wanted a real review, they would use one photo...their best effort and get a detailed analysis.

You did not even post a photo and look how much I wrote. I guess I should have used this creative energy to comment on someone's portrait. ;-)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to soupman Find More Posts by soupman

Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 24.255.140.101

oh come on!! lets all feel the love and get cozy!!!! Its not really about the images after all, its about where you shot them, who you were buddies with at the time you shot them, and who are they going to benefit!! you know, basic ass kissing! it seems to go a long way in the world of internet photography!!! ya just gotta remember who's ass to kiss and if it benefits you in the short term.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 02-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

You must have missed this post which explains how to give a critique. (Proper way to do an internet critique)

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.192.130

As "soupman" said - writing a meaningful criticism, or even meaningful comments on an image, is time-consuming. I like to think that at times I've made meaningful suggestions/comments on various images, but these days I mostly just comment briefly on images I like. I suspect, as was said, that many "critics" only write a long criticism/comment once or twice a session, and the rest of their comments are short and simple, "I like it."

Personally, I think that if a photographer wants meaningful comments, he should only post a single image and should include some information about how the shot was done AND what was intended as the goal for the image. I guess I would like to see some indication that the person posting wants serious input, not just "attaboys." I know that's not the case for you, but it does eventually affect my mindset - I comment a lot less frequently now than formerly.

I sympathize with you. One of the great things of the older GG was the constructive input. But even then there were lots of people with exactly your comment. It ebs and flows. Keep posting, keep asking for input, keep explaining what you're trying to achieve, and eventually, you'll get more consistent feedback.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupman View Post
You're absolutely right and that is why we want to share on GG. ...........

Excuse 4: Also, when folks post three, four or more photos, some of which may be larger than my viewing area, I don't even want to start discussing why I like a photo. I figure if they wanted a real review, they would use one photo...their best effort and get a detailed analysis.
Agreed. I believe one reason for the large images is one of the questions I had on another post about screen resolution. If one person has their resolution set at 1600x1400, and they post an image that can be viewed on their screen, when I look at it at 1024x768, it is too large to see without scrolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford View Post
As "soupman" said - writing a meaningful criticism, or even meaningful comments on an image, is time-consuming.
Personally, I think that if a photographer wants meaningful comments, he should only post a single image and should include some information about how the shot was done AND what was intended as the goal for the image

Thanks you two for the replies. Wow! If that much was said on a critique, I might learn something new.

I do agree with a lot of what you say. But my point is that if it is in a critique section then saying only "I like it" means absolutely nothing.

Why not say, I like the composition, or the color or the posing, or at least say why you like it? One item I do agree with is that a comment should be accompanied by an image of your own, but I realize that stops some people from making a critique.

No, I didn't miss it.

Thanks for the replies. Since my experience with critiques and print judging has been one of a very structured nature, I suppose I cannnot get out of that mode.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

The point is (heavily clouded by sarcasm) that a good critique and meaningful feedback is kind of a rare animal no matter where you go. It's not new.

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 02-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52976
Comments: 43
My Mood:

soupman is offline IP: 75.41.1.101

Starting today, I will try to provide at least one good critique on a photo whenever I log in to GG.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to soupman Find More Posts by soupman