Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Four From Today
Old 01-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 66.56.6.136

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

These are from a shoot I did today with Corinne. Comments are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Click for larger version
Four From Today 

Click for larger version
Four From Today 

Click for larger version
Four From Today 

Click for larger version
Four From Today 
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Re: Four From Today
Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 24.255.140.101

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

These are nice Dave, I only have a couple of issues, one a hair light would have helped a ton with her dark hair against a dark background, two, a lil powder on the face to knock down the highlights on her cheeks,nose,chin and forehead.
any way just a couple of tips from the nose bleed section..

Don.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 01-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.145.115

Pretty girl, but the lack of make up really effects the images. You could by a $5 compact at the drugstore and knock down the shine on her face. Keep it in your camera bag and use it when ever they don't have their own.

My EIXF reader doesn't work with Firefox III, so I can't tell for sure, but these images look underexposed. Since you have main and fill, there is no reason for that to happen.

While a lot of detail loss in the hair is due to no "hair light" there is very little detail on the front of her hair, which is why I think they are under exposed.

Shoot her again and if you fix those things and she works on her posture, you will have much stronger images.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 01-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 66.56.6.136

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Pretty girl, but the lack of make up really effects the images. You could by a $5 compact at the drugstore and knock down the shine on her face. Keep it in your camera bag and use it when ever they don't have their own.

My EIXF reader doesn't work with Firefox III, so I can't tell for sure, but these images look underexposed. Since you have main and fill, there is no reason for that to happen.

While a lot of detail loss in the hair is due to no "hair light" there is very little detail on the front of her hair, which is why I think they are under exposed.

Shoot her again and if you fix those things and she works on her posture, you will have much stronger images.
Thanks KG, when I did corporate events and photographed for the U.S. Navy I always kept a box of tissues handy for later in the evening. The people I photographed first never had any problems with 'shine' but as the evening wore it became an issue.

As far as a lack of makeup that is partly my issue. I advise models that I work with to not put on additional makeup. I try to photograph models looking as natural as possible. Still camera is not video so I don't generally think extra make up to be necessary but i will keep this in mind for future shoots.

As for the images looking underexposed that is a continuing and ongoing frustration of mine with my digital cameras. I have a calibrated, accurate light/flash meter that I trust with my life and I set up the studio lighting (two Alien Bee 800's shooting into 36" softboxes) to give me F8.0 at 125 sec and when I checked the in camera Histogram it indicated underexposed but I have had so much trouble with digital cameras and in camera histograms that I just ignore it and go with what looks right to me.

This is why I still have my film camera (Canon EOS 1-N) and on several occassions I have thought seriously about chucking my digital cameras for portrait work and only using my film camera and I almost did it yesterday but I didn't have enough film to do the shoot. Digital cameras are only good for sports where you have to fire off 100 shots to get 1 good one and nobody cares about quality because it's sports and it's supposed to be that way.

In the future when I absolutely have to use my digital cameras for portrait work I may add half a stop as a safety factor.

You wouldn't have been able to see the EXIF data because I use the PhotoShop Save For Web function which removes the EXIF data.

Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 01-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

Yeah, you need a hairlight/backlight on these.

Set one of those softboxes as a sidelight at least, so you get some depth out of her, that way she won't look like a cardboard cutout.

Click for larger version

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 01-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52976
Comments: 43
My Mood:

soupman is offline IP: 75.41.7.91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
Thanks KG, when I did corporate events and photographed for the U.S. Navy I always kept a box of tissues handy for later in the evening. The people I photographed first never had any problems with 'shine' but as the evening wore it became an issue.

As far as a lack of makeup that is partly my issue. I advise models that I work with to not put on additional makeup. I try to photograph models looking as natural as possible. Still camera is not video so I don't generally think extra make up to be necessary but i will keep this in mind for future shoots.

As for the images looking underexposed that is a continuing and ongoing frustration of mine with my digital cameras. I have a calibrated, accurate light/flash meter that I trust with my life and I set up the studio lighting (two Alien Bee 800's shooting into 36" softboxes) to give me F8.0 at 125 sec and when I checked the in camera Histogram it indicated underexposed but I have had so much trouble with digital cameras and in camera histograms that I just ignore it and go with what looks right to me.

This is why I still have my film camera (Canon EOS 1-N) and on several occassions I have thought seriously about chucking my digital cameras for portrait work and only using my film camera and I almost did it yesterday but I didn't have enough film to do the shoot. Digital cameras are only good for sports where you have to fire off 100 shots to get 1 good one and nobody cares about quality because it's sports and it's supposed to be that way.

In the future when I absolutely have to use my digital cameras for portrait work I may add half a stop as a safety factor.

You wouldn't have been able to see the EXIF data because I use the PhotoShop Save For Web function which removes the EXIF data.

Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.
Dave,

I can relate with your frustration with the digital camera and using a light meter. I could have written the same thing you did. One thing I think is happening (I haven't "proved" it yet) is that the area the camera meters is a very small as compared to what the light meter is measuring. I have noticed that in low light situations, I can get my camera results and light meter matching up, but I have to be very careful where I am measuring the flash.

It is probably just me. Anyway, I too have just gone with what looks right on many occasions...but I definitely won't go back to film.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to soupman Find More Posts by soupman

Old 01-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
When I switched to digital, I didn't change my light output or positions very much, and didn't see a great difference in what I was shooting with film. As I became more familiar with digital, I began to experiment with different lighting ratios and moved my lights around to see what else I was capable of doing.

One of the greatest benefits of digital is it does allow me to experiment without much fear of not getting something. Whereas with film, I sort of stayed in the little comfort zone of familiar lighting ratios and styles.

I never meter anything. I just set the lights, take the shot, and look at it after downloading. If it looks right, I go with it. I still use an old method of "stringing" my lights, so I can set them back in the same position for various lighting styles.

Of course I am talking about doing this on a "test" subject, and then I am ready to go for regular posrtrait sessions.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE