Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
The Difference Between A Photographer And A Photoshopper
Old 04-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 68.3.207.189

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I had a photo shoot this morning with a talented local model and I was in a mood to really shake things up so I broke out the big gun, My Canon EOS 1-N FILM camera. Yes, you did read that right, a FILM camera and as they say, "the proof is in the pudding" and I am a damn good cook if I say so myself.

The model is a nationally ranked swimmer and tennis player attending school here in my area.

Shot with a Sigma 75-300mm F4-5.6 zoom set to 180mm, 1/125 @ F5.6 metered manually and scanned as a .tiff with an Epson Perfection 2400 scanner. Minimal post processing, the Histogram was bang on and I added a bit of Unsharp mask and saved as a .jpg and there you have it, a perfect soufle.

Nuff Said !

Click for larger version

Click for larger version
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Re: The Difference Between A Photographer And A Photoshopper
Old 04-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
Comments: 0
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.150.146

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Nice shots. However, the difference between a "photographer" and a "photoshopper " is not the use of film for image capture.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 04-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.255.55.71

I'm amazed at how far apart the color balance is between the two shots. But like robArtLyn, I wonder what this had to do with Photoshop. Photoshop is just a tool like your camera. If it can be used to add quality to a photo then I think that is an excellent tool to use. I know that when I used to shoot film, I still did lots of work in the darkroom (especially in B/w where you picked a paper type, developer type, time for developer, etc) to manipulate the photos. Photoshop is just like the darkroom in this case.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 24.11.214.199

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
... and as they say, "the proof is in the pudding" and I am a damn good cook if I say so myself.

... and there you have it, a perfect soufle.

Nuff Said !
And so modest too...

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 04-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 12.226.28.159

First off: I like film, but it looks like you might be getting some graininess. What film did you use? It could be cool to see the results from a drum scanner, too.

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Old 04-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45707

FlikFilms is offline IP: 70.189.75.113

There is something to be said for getting it spot-on in the camera, but I agree with RFS on this one. Photoshop is a tool, and a very effective one. A great photographer uses all of his resources to produce great imagery. The most notable example is, of course, Ansel Adams shot his photos for the darkroom process and would spend hours dodging and burning his photos to achieve his legendary look.

I personally love to shoot film. Medium format in fact... I have an RZ67 kit that I am adding to all the time. But I still have my slides scanned and work 'em over in Photoshop. They don't need much, but it makes the difference between "good" and "professional".

Mark pointed out the graininess of the image. That's the USM... Try tweaking some the settings in your unsharp mask box and see if you can knock it down a tad. Perhaps even do it on another layer and drop the opacity a bit. You could try masking off the parts that need obvious sharpening and just hitting them as well.

Last edited by FlikFilms; 04-07-2008 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-08-2008, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 70.133.197.84

Yeah, I too think that you should get as much right in camera and less post production in Photoshop. It's a great tool to have, but I rely on my main tool, my camera. I think the main difference between a so called photoshopper and a photographer is that a photoshopper dose heavy manipulation in photoshop and what happens in camera isn't as important.

Isaiah

Old 04-08-2008, 02:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.255.55.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahbrink View Post
Yeah, I too think that you should get as much right in camera and less post production in Photoshop. It's a great tool to have, but I rely on my main tool, my camera. I think the main difference between a so called photoshopper and a photographer is that a photoshopper dose heavy manipulation in photoshop and what happens in camera isn't as important.

Isaiah
I don't think that any "good" photographer thinks that "what happens in the camera isn't as important" as the photoshop. At least, I haven't met such a photographer. I believe, and I believe that virtually all good photographer believe, that we should get the best results we can, right in the camera. But I also believe, like Ansel Adams, that the ultimate vision of a scene is what is really important to our art form. Unless we are strictly journalist, we are looking for an expression of a scene that may only exist in our minds. We then use any means to reach that goal. If we fail to use the camera to its fullest ability, then we may not be able to reach that goal. If we fail in the darkroom work (or Photoshop for this age), then again we fail.

That being said, there is a difference between shooting in a studio and shooting outdoors in "natural" light. I submit that unless we are willing to bring to bear thousands of dollars worth of equipment, that we often just do not have enough control to get it totally right in the camera. Then Photoshop becomes even more important. Virtually all good landscape shots seem to fall into this latter category. There is no way to totally get it right in the camera because we can't control the lighting to match our vision. Ansel Adams is the proof of that pudding.

Now, I'll agree that there are "poorer" photographers who rarely get it right in the camera even at the basic level. They'll have bad exposure, and or bad in camera cropping, lack of focus, etc. They may be able to make something that is still reasonable using Photoshop --- but it will often fall short of the potential that was there.

The other part of the equation beyond trying to get it right in the camera is trying to get it right in Photoshop. If our Photoshop (or darkroom) skills are inadequate, then we may also fail. We often see such bad Photoshop work that it calls attention to itself and turns some people off. I think both factors have to be well done before we start reaching the art form that photography can really be when everything comes together.

So its like a puzzle where all the pieces have to come together.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-08-2008, 06:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 12.226.28.159

RFS: Is that photo post-processed? :-)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.11.217

I never really understand posts like this. I'm not sure if they're a jest or really intended to hold up images as epitomes of "getting it right" before the shutter is clicked. In this case, the bright patches on her chest in the first shot are technical errors in my opinion and the mascara (?) accident on her lower left eyelid on the second is a big oversight. They could be easily cleaned up in PS, unlike the decision to crop off half a hand in #2.

Don't get me wrong. Neither photo is bad. But to me they're not examples of getting everything right "in camera" either. So that leaves me still wondering...jest or no?
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck