Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
First post first beach shoot
Old 03-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 60372
Comments: 0

babytarantula is offline IP: 201.160.33.108

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi i've been reading your forum with a lot of envy and attention. A week ago i bought a rebel xti 10mpx so i could start to shoot models. Here is my first try at it. I am planning on buying extra equipement as soon as i understand the main equipment : my camera and light. Currently my main light is sunlight hehe.

Here is the best shots of 100 of "not so nice" shoots. I would like your critics, don't spare me! hehe

First of it...why are all my pictures missing contrast. My gear is right, sun is shining, water is blue...

Thanks for all

View Public Profile Send a private message to babytarantula Find More Posts by babytarantula

Re: First post first beach shoot
Old 03-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.11.217

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Welcome to G1!

I wouldn't say your images are lacking contrast so much as a focus point. The first image especially lacks sharpness -- contrast is pretty good. It can be improved, but not every image has to have maximum contrast.

Just to be sure we're on the same page, contrast is the range of light to dark in the photograph. If you imagine that black is 0 and pure white is 100, you could give every pixel in a B&W scene a score of 0 to 100. If you did so and then looked back over the list of scores and saw that most pixels are huddled around the same score, your image is likely lacking in contrast. If however, a good (no magic number here, it's very scene dependent) percentage are near or at 0 and a good percentage are near or at 100, your image does not lack contrast.

In color photographs, contrast is not just black-to-white, but also all apposing colors: magenta-to-green, cyan-to-yellow, etc. Since the real world is analog, maximum contrast is rarely really there. But in digital photography, where contrast is finite and defined in even steps, it's easy to adjust in post.

Here is an example of low contrast, your original, and high contrast. Again, her eyes are not in focus which is what reduces the quality of the photo more than flat colors -- and unfortunately, cannot be fixed in post.

View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 03-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.157.219

Hi. Thanks for posting. First of all, your image sizes are too large, no reason for your images to be over 100KB in size, yours are 242 and 308KB in size. This size can be reduced by doing a "save for web" jpg instead as a "save as" jpg. There are many reasons why this is best and I'll soon have an article on it on http://www.shotcritic.com

Second, to help get your images down in file size, also make them with the longest side no larger than 600 pixels. You should always assume the general population has a smaller monitor and slower internet connection than you, besides, who wants to scroll looking at your images? Your images are not too bad, they are 800 on the largest side, but that's probably because Imageshack resized them for you.

Third, once you get them the right size, file and physically, then upload them here for free and that way you can post them in your post the right viewing size for critiques--and it keeps us from having to click on a thumbnail and going to another site and trying to reply here.

Now, with that all said, sincerely thanks for posting and thanks for being a part of the G1 community, and keep posting here we certainly are not trying to run you off and also check out our other site, http://www.shotcritic.com too.

Now, from what I can tell in your images, the obvious, don't center your subject, especially in a horizontal format. Try shooting these vertically. Try some fill light too. Crop tighter, compose the image tight, this will help make the face look sharper in focus as these images don't appear too sharp on the subject's face.

That's it for now, thanks again and please post again, thanks, rg sends!

Click for larger version
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 03-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.11.217

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandogomez View Post
Now, from what I can tell in your images, the obvious, don't center your subject, especially in a horizontal format. Try shooting these vertically.
Glad you added that, RG. I cropped the images and then forgot to make that point. A vertical crop works best for that image as it is. Crop tighter (in the viewfinder!) to make the shot more about the subject and give you more detail. It would also be interesting if it was horizontal and the model was off to one side of the frame.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 03-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 68.3.207.189

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandogomez View Post
Hi. Thanks for posting. First of all, your image sizes are too large, no reason for your images to be over 100KB in size, yours are 242 and 308KB in size. This size can be reduced by doing a "save for web" jpg instead as a "save as" jpg. There are many reasons why this is best and I'll soon have an article on it on http://www.shotcritic.com

Second, to help get your images down in file size, also make them with the longest side no larger than 600 pixels. You should always assume the general population has a smaller monitor and slower internet connection than you, besides, who wants to scroll looking at your images? Your images are not too bad, they are 800 on the largest side, but that's probably because Imageshack resized them for you.

Third, once you get them the right size, file and physically, then upload them here for free and that way you can post them in your post the right viewing size for critiques--and it keeps us from having to click on a thumbnail and going to another site and trying to reply here.

Now, with that all said, sincerely thanks for posting and thanks for being a part of the G1 community, and keep posting here we certainly are not trying to run you off and also check out our other site, http://www.shotcritic.com too.

Now, from what I can tell in your images, the obvious, don't center your subject, especially in a horizontal format. Try shooting these vertically. Try some fill light too. Crop tighter, compose the image tight, this will help make the face look sharper in focus as these images don't appear too sharp on the subject's face.

That's it for now, thanks again and please post again, thanks, rg sends!

Click for larger version
Rolando:

My apologies to you and to the OP for hijacking this thread but I want to inquire about a comment you have made.

You suggest using the "Save For Web" Photoshop function and this seems like a good thing to do but I haven't quite got that feature completely figured out yet.

What I do is resize an image to 72 Resolution at 800 x 533 pixels and then I save as a .jpg file at a Quality factor of "5" and this gives me a good balance of quality versus size. I actually have an Automated Batch that does this for me and this saves a lot of time.

From looking at the "Save For Web" function there are a lot of options (in my opinion too many) there and I am not sure which ones to use or how to set them up so if you have any advice on this I, as well as a lot of others I am sure. would love to hear it. Thanks.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 03-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 60372

babytarantula is offline IP: 201.160.33.108

Thanks for all your help, i want to become one of yours one day. About fill in flash, thanks for the tip. And also about cropping. I will be living in acapulco for a while so i was wondering how can i improve my beach shots beside your current comments?

Thanks again you guys are the best!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to babytarantula Find More Posts by babytarantula