Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
first images at G1 - tessa
Old 02-03-2008, 06:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56745
Comments: 0

oz_beachside is offline IP: 124.168.124.16

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

this is my first set of images posted in here, looking for some C&C, so much appreciate the feedback from this group!

My brief was to make images for her portfolio with a fashion style, how'd I do?

thanks in advance for your feedback. (I hope I have posted this correctly).

looking forward to meeting some of you in a workshop in 2008
  View Public Profile Send a private message to oz_beachside Find More Posts by oz_beachside

Re: first images at G1 - tessa
Old 02-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.113.233

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

They are nice basic shots in the glamour category but to me they don't really seem very much in the fashion arena. I would recommend not having eye conntact if fashion is the major theme. #1 is the best, while the rest have cropping problems in my view. #2, #3 and #4 crop off part of feet. I think the balance would be better if the feet were not cropped off.

Click for larger version

cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 75.23.179.246

i don't see these as fashion either. They lean more towards glamour and tease. I don't necessarily agree that eye contact with the camera, or lack of it, suddenly a fashion shot makes, but these images definitely seem aimed at selling the model more than anything else.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 02-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.113.233

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
i don't see these as fashion either. They lean more towards glamour and tease. I don't necessarily agree that eye contact with the camera, or lack of it, suddenly a fashion shot makes, but these images definitely seem aimed at selling the model more than anything else.
I think if you are going to have the model looking at the viewer in fashion, then the clothes need to jump out at you and grab your attention. And the pose definitely should not be a "tease" type pose. So shooting fashion with eyes on viewer just means you have to take more care in the presentation of the clothing whereas with no eye contact, your job is not as difficult.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 75.23.179.246

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I think if you are going to have the model looking at the viewer in fashion, then the clothes need to jump out at you and grab your attention. And the pose definitely should not be a "tease" type pose. So shooting fashion with eyes on viewer just means you have to take more care in the presentation of the clothing whereas with no eye contact, your job is not as difficult.
Yah. I mostly agree with that altho classic "tease" poses--a la Victoria's Secret and others--are sometimes employed and the images still remain, for the most part, classified as fashion..

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 02-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.252.223

She's a lovely girl.

The cropping I can let slide... What I notice most is the dark eye shadows in shots 2 and 4, but especially 4.

You might have lowered the light a bit or used a reflector in front of her to kick some light into her eyes. It'd also add a highlight in her eyes which IMHO can make or break an image.

What got my attention in Shot 1 was the difference in the color of her hair between above her arms and below her arms. It almost looks like it's not her hair below her arms, but a long haired animal of some kind she's holding. If you had seen it at the shoot, you might have had her put her hair behind her shoulders. Too late now, and probably a real challenge to recolor it in PS... probably easier just to clone it out below her arms. And if you do that, I'd suggest a minor touchup on the end of her nose. That little "V" shadow doesn't help any.

As far as the fashion versus glamour issue... I look at Italian and Parisien Vogue, and frankly it's getting harder to draw the line. But these definitely draw my eye to the girl, not what she's wearing.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 02-04-2008, 05:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

wow, im very happy to get such solid feedback from members whos work I admire, thanks all!

agree, and I didnt mean to mislead on the "fashion" thing, these are to showcase her, for her expanding portfolio. cropping was a conscious decision in these, but I also show full width, we just preferred the closer in shots due to focal length perspective (and limits of my 3meter seamless versus room space etc).

agree on the lighting to eyes, I always go for nice catchlights in glamour, but I chose this time to work with one light only, all of these are single light, and sometimes a reflector.

cheers from down under
Oz.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to oz_beachside Find More Posts by oz_beachside

Old 02-04-2008, 06:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak View Post

What got my attention in Shot 1 was the difference in the color of her hair between above her arms and below her arms. It almost looks like it's not her hair below her arms, but a long haired animal of some kind she's holding. If you had seen it at the shoot, you might have had her put her hair behind her shoulders. Too late now, and probably a real challenge to recolor it in PS... probably easier just to clone it out below her arms.
thanks heaps, the hair color was her two toned hair style, in fashion here in australia at the mo...

im shooting with her again soon, so will post more then