Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
HS Senior Shoot
Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37544
Comments: 0

srose911 is offline IP: 69.68.228.77

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

As always any critism, tips, & thoughts are welcome. All shot natural light, a bit breezy, with a reflector on occasion.

View Public Profile Send a private message to srose911 Find More Posts by srose911

Re: HS Senior Shoot
Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 60231

Used2Be is offline IP: 71.15.100.110

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Please don't take this wrong, but if this were MY daughter's senior pictures, you wouldn't be getting a dime... no makeup... no hair brush... she looks like she just walked in from a trip to the grocery store. And before anyone says "hey, critique the images and not the model"... I am. All of the above is under the control of the photog who's deciding whether to press the button or not.

As far as the images go... the exposures are fine, though having the subject centered in each of the pictures ignores the more active framing that can be achieved with the subject a bit on the left or right of center (think 'rule of thirds'). 2nd image cropping is a bit weird with the hand missing... 3rd image could would look better by bringing her left hand onto her hip and letting her twist her torso the same way.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Used2Be Find More Posts by Used2Be

Old 01-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.246.175.220

A large number of non-model females are a little flabby (not well toned) now days but they don't want to come off that way in their photos. In this case you've chosen poses and lighting that has not done much to minimize the flabbiness (particularly the arms). #3 is the best shot in this regard and #2 the worst (due to cropping and leaning back against the wall). Also for a "seniors" shot you want better control of hair and makeup.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Titan
This message has been deleted by Titan. Reason: .
Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.150

srose,

High school seniors is what I do mostly, and I now that telling those kids what clothing to select usually falls on deaf ears. The girls are gonna wear what they want to, then complain about how heavy they look, and the fact their bra straps show, right? They just do that,, who knows why???!!

As for hair, I do believe you need to try to watch it a bit more carefully, but don't see anything too upsetting about hers. Maybe a little flyaway, but in my part of Texas, and probably yours, many days are windy, some hairspray on your fingers rubbed across the unruly ones will help.

One thins you might work on is the location background. If you can keep that toned down, without so much sunlight behind the subject, I think you will be better off, and watch the hot spots on the skin, as in #3 and #4 especially. Good shallow depth of field in these.

And, as has been mentioned, the posing in 3 is awkward, and cropping in #2. #1 and #3 are, in my opinion the best, but those hot spots need working on.

Always try to stand the subject in complete shade, and try for shade on background also. Get the hands involved, instead of just hanging. I would also recommend retoucning for this age group.

Allin all, under the cirsumstances... wind and the speed usually required to work, combined with "real" people who have never modeled before, not bad at all.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

srose911 is offline IP: 96.24.54.157

Thanks everyone for your input, I learn alot by reading your replies, especially when you point out specifics. I really appreciate it!

Used2b I'm not offended at all, however I would tell you that if your daughter had listened to my advice prior to the shoot those issues would've been addressed. She did say that she's not much of a makeup person & wanted to "keep it real" as far as her look went.

Funny thing, when I saw her the next day I barely recognized her. Turns out she was actually quite made up for the shoot, although not as much as I would've liked.

Thanks again for all the comments, I hope all of you visit my future posts and not only watch me improve but find more ways for me to do so.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srose911 Find More Posts by srose911

Old 01-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 75.23.179.246

i think the one common problem amongst each of these images is the framing/cropping/composition, however you want to refer to it. it simply makes the images uninteresting and pedestrian. they would all be greatly improved by improving the composition... Hint: as already stated by another, think rule of thirds.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 01-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.150

I can understand the comments concerning framing., etc. and if this is all he ever shoots, he needs to work on all that.. However, keep in mind a couple of things.. this is not a fashion shoot, with a model, and it is in Texas. These are photographs of a high school girl.

Yes, there needs to be some of those ideas added, and the "rules" are good to work with, but 99% of the buying public cares less about all that, and will be more impressed with good quality.

I am NOT saying to never shoot for "arts" sake, using the rules, but that will come later. I think first the photographer needs to grasp the fundamental concept of portraits.. then go to the next step.

To me, more drama in the poses and lighting will help when it comes to selling.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 01-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.246.175.220

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post
I can understand the comments concerning framing., etc. and if this is all he ever shoots, he needs to work on all that.. However, keep in mind a couple of things.. this is not a fashion shoot, with a model, and it is in Texas. These are photographs of a high school girl.

Yes, there needs to be some of those ideas added, and the "rules" are good to work with, but 99% of the buying public cares less about all that, and will be more impressed with good quality.

I am NOT saying to never shoot for "arts" sake, using the rules, but that will come later. I think first the photographer needs to grasp the fundamental concept of portraits.. then go to the next step.

To me, more drama in the poses and lighting will help when it comes to selling.
I think we are dealing with glamour here. After all he said he was shooting Seniors. That is not just a casual photo or a snapshot of a pretty girl, but a portrait that is often going to be an important milestone type photo in some one's life. So I think that we need to go the extra mile when shooting "seniors" to give the subject something they will be proud of. I've seen seniors type shots that were "high art".

You are right, that 99% of the public won't care about the artist merits or rules of thirds, etc, but if those are not there (are missing from the photo) they may just not like the photo or sense something wrong with it but not be able to put their finger on it.

My suggestion to the original poster is to buy one of the several books on shooting Seniors. They each contribute a wealth of ideas to the genre.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 75.23.179.246

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I think we are dealing with glamour here. After all he said he was shooting Seniors. That is not just a casual photo or a snapshot of a pretty girl, but a portrait that is often going to be an important milestone type photo in some one's life. So I think that we need to go the extra mile when shooting "seniors" to give the subject something they will be proud of.
You're 100% right. Whether you're shooting glamour, beauty, fashion, art nudes, commercial, weddings, landscapes and nature or HS seniors, composition is paramount and should never be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
You are right, that 99% of the public won't care about the artist merits or rules of thirds, etc, but if those are not there (are missing from the photo) they may just not like the photo or sense something wrong with it but not be able to put their finger on it.
The problem is the bar: It's been lowered. It's not been slightly lowered, it's practically hit the ground. These days, much of the public--mostly, I think, because of what they see on the internet--have been so inundated with mediocre, pedestrian, and often times, downright awful images... and told (usually by the images' creators) how great the work is, they've been brainwashed into believing there's quality and skill brought to bear on the completely forgettable work they're looking at. Blame the internet, blame the digital camera (r)evolution, blame today's "instant pudding" generation, blame whomever you want, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how much the bar's been lowered.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 01-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

srose911 is offline IP: 96.24.54.157

Again very interesting input. My only excuse here for not using the rule of thirds is that most of the seniors in my area are looking for a good shot for their yearbook or wallets to send with invitations. I actually did shoot several of this girl using the rule and actually had to hold myself back & remember this is a high school senior, not a model.

Not as if I would turn out better work if it were a model.... Just saying sometimes I tend to get off track.