Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
The Beautiful Lush
Old 12-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.225.153.53

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd post something up from last week. These were supposed to be for an editorial with 60s/70s-inspired clothes, but I'm not sure that really comes across. I dunno, but either way, I'm reshooting this whole thing 'cause I didn't get all the outfits shot that I need. But of all the best shots from this particular shoot, Sam (Samantha, the model, not me ) had a wine glass in her hand, so for now I'm calling this series the Beautiful Lush, heh.

These were once again scanned from the contact sheets (and geez my scanner's dirty!!), but I kinda liked the softness from that for this set, too... I think I'm liking soft pictures here lately for some reason. :P It's probably 'cause I'm just too lazy to scan in the negs, lol.

I've noticed something else, too. I've also noticed that I'm liking more and more where I can't see the model's eyes, or they're kinda obscured or something... Not really sure why. I think maybe because it makes it less about the model, and more about the mood, the feeling, etc.

But anyways, y'all know the drill -- good or bad, lemme know.

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: The Beautiful Lush
Old 12-06-2007, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52976
Comments: 43
My Mood:

soupman is offline IP: 75.41.19.222

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I like the first photo and I do think you captured the early '70s. I think what appeals to me is it has the feel of a photo lost in a trunk for years and recently found. It also reminds me of some old Poloroid photos.
Click for larger version
  View Public Profile Send a private message to soupman Find More Posts by soupman

Old 12-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54742
Comments: 0

Zipper7 is offline IP: 67.166.228.133

I have to agree that not having the model looking at you, or seeing her eyes, allows my attention to go to the wine glass. I've noticed that if the model is looking at the camera my attention is always to be drawn to her eyes.

I think that both photos are really good, and the softness works for me!

Thanks,
PTL,
Lee
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zipper7 Find More Posts by Zipper7

Old 12-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.192.130

I dunno, Sam. The context of the first image seems inconsistant - she's stylish and polished (and slim, toned, and sexy) but the setting shows paint off the woodwork, kind of beat-up walls - rather like an old hippie hang-out I frequented in the late sixies. But no one there dressed like she did - she's too "mod" for that. Unless there were a party going on. Just my impression. I like the image, but because of that inconsistancy and mystery, rather than because it evokes "60's" to me. Good use of color and texture.
Second image is very good, although there're fewer visual references to the timeframe, IMO. Somehow, the blue cast/tone seems more an 80's thing.
Sam's a beautiful model - excellent features and sense of body.
Man, your images are so much stronger it's incredible.
The Season's best.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 72.153.224.136

soupman -- Funny you mention about the Polaroid look. I had originally wanted to shoot this one in Polaroids (the peel-apart kind, not the instant spit-outta-the-camera kinda), but the fastest peel-apart type they make (iso 100) is just too slow for the light in that room when you're shooting a person. It needed to be at least iso 800, so I just shot film instead, but scanning from the contact sheets instead of straight from the negs helped with that "imperfect" kind of look I think...

Lee -- Thank you!

John --
Quote:
Originally Posted by jford View Post
I like the image, but because of that inconsistancy and mystery, rather than because it evokes "60's" to me.
Yeah, that's more or less what my teacher told me yesterday, too. And yeah I certainly can see what you mean about the second's lack of context. If anything maybe I can at least play with the color a bit.

And YES Sam's great! Love her to death, and hopefully we'll be shooting again soon. We'll kinda have to, as I need these reshot in time to have the film back and printed by next Friday.

Thanks so much John, I truly do appreciate it, and I always look forward to your helpful comments.

Have a good one!

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 12-09-2007, 06:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45232
Comments: 0

Driftwood is offline IP: 88.105.5.233

I have to agree with John. Your current work is excellent and I always look forward to seeing your posts.

I have particularly enjoyed your first image in this post. There is so much of a story in it for me. Enough detail of the rooms in the foreground and background for me to build the rest of the scene in my imagination. So many small details as I move my eyes around the frame.
For me it is almost a perfect shot but I am irritated by the way her right arm cuts through the frame. It is an image I want to study and scan, but I get stopped by that arm every time.

Great work though. It is a rare image that I can enjoy viewing for as long as I have been studying this one.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 72.153.91.43

Hey Kevin, thanks very much for the kind words sir! I really do appreciate it. And yes, I was wondering if anyone was going to mention the arm. Not only did I cut off the end of her arm, but I chopped her legs off at the knees too, lol. (And normally, as per "the rules", I try not crop through the knees, but in this case it didn't seem to bother me as much...) But it's funny, every shot on this roll of film, neither she or I liked very much, but then on the very lost shot I decided to flip the camera horizontal, and we ended up liking this one the best. But when we redo this shoot I wanna see if I can really nail this shot next time, 'cause yeah, to be honest the arm kinda bugs me too.

Thanks again Kevin!