Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
male glamour?
Old 11-23-2007, 04:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38676
Comments: 0

David_L_Brown is offline IP: 70.173.221.237

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sorry its not a naked woman. Maybe a better title would be "one for the ladies". When Milan contacted me for a shot I was a little reluctant at first since I wasn't sure what I could do with him but I think it turned out all right. Let me know what you think or what I could improve on.

View Public Profile Send a private message to David_L_Brown Find More Posts by David_L_Brown

Re: male glamour?
Old 11-23-2007, 04:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 87.177.92.72

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

David,

I think the shots came out okay, but number two and three make him look somewhat feminine. The first and last shots could make nice fashion type photos for an ad campaign or something.

My 2-Cents,
JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 11-23-2007, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94

Way too feminine. Looks like "girl" poses. The last one is best because the couch forces him to hold his shoulders straight.

Lighting is good, and you stepped out of your comfort zone which deserves points...

First and last are by far the best in my little mind.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59999
Comments: 3

fugatephoto is offline IP: 80.148.25.249

Kudos to you for trying male shots. The second, imo, is too feminine for a male. The third is the best because it's masculine yet soft. I also like the fact that he is looking away from the cam.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to fugatephoto Find More Posts by fugatephoto

Old 11-23-2007, 07:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57204
Comments: 2

Absolutely Digital is offline IP: 202.33.109.12

Well first question for me is, how did the client like them? I think the poses were some what on the ladies side of the house and I cant believe how he pulled them off so well (if you catch my drift). I like all the poses except the one on the couch. The angle is amazing, as far as that image is concerned its just the way he is looking and the he has his head it just takes away from the image when I look at it.
On my second look I now dont like the first one and that is only because of the rolls in his stomach it detracts from the image and the fact that he is not toned enough to draw attention to his limbs, so whats left to look at, his hair? The set up is nice though.
The one with him against the wall is choice! The only thing is that specular highlight under his eye bothers me but that one is my favorite, I'm simply amazed at how you pulled the lighting off.
I concur on the way the poses make him look light in the loafers but maybe he is like that bottom line is I like them and if the intent is to make him stand out from the crowd then buddy you have done just that.
My recommendation is to add them to his portfolio and wait for the referrals.
Last edited by Absolutely Digital; 11-23-2007 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: additions to comments

Old 11-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am going to consider this a minor success since everyone seems to like a different picture. If you all picked on one particularly then I would feel otherwise. Yes, Milan is gay as some of you have hinted and these photo are just a few of the ones he picked for polishing. I do have some that are a little more macho but these are his choices.

As to individual comments I agree mostly, such as the belly roll in the first. He and I still liked the photo in spite of it. This was literally the last shot in the club we were using. We were out of time and were being asked to leave since they were getting ready to open. Even if I had noticed I wouldn't have had the chance to fix it.

On the second image I will tone down the highlight on his cheek and resend it to him.

In the third, I disagree about it being feminine. I don't get that vibe from it but we can agree to disagree.

Fourth was an attempt to convey a harsher message with the grittier processing. Since no one commented on it I guess its back to the drawing board.

Fifth is probably my favorite and I have lots of choices to work with but I tend to like the tighter crops so I went with the particular shot. Yes, we were going for "jeans ad".

All of these are one-light setups with a Canon 550EX on manual with a full CTO gel (to blend with indoor ambient light) with a cheap Ebay wireless trigger bounced into a 40" umbrella except the first which had an additional 550 with no gel (which looked blue because of my tungsten white balance) aimed at the background. I dragged the shutter as necessary to create fill or background ambience.

One last question, except for the fourth one do you guys think the processing looks okay?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David_L_Brown Find More Posts by David_L_Brown

Old 11-24-2007, 01:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57204
Comments: 2

Absolutely Digital is offline IP: 202.33.109.12

The processing looks fine on screen. I would like to add one other comment if I may. The Muthrfkr image.... it seems like he is being punished or held captive for what ever he did. The image seems to be missing that "I'm a captive" flavor. How about tape over the mouth, or bound hands yada yada yada. I'm not saying S&M him only suggesting adding to the concept.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

I completely understand what you are saying but these two strips of material were the only non-traditional wardrobe pieces he brought. When he pulled them out of his bag and asked me what we could do with them I came up with the idea of placing one over his face. In retrospect I suppose it would have been better to place it over his mouth so he could create some kind of appropriate expression with his eyes.