Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Madison
Old 10-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 68.3.207.189

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is from a shoot I did yesterday and I think it is a great photo, and one of my best. I have already gotten a lot of compliments on it but I know the vipers on G1 will find a way to pick it apart but that's OK because that's the way I learn.

By the way, I had an opportunity to work beside an extremely talented local photographer yesterday and it was simply amazing to see him sweat each and every detail and it shows in his photos. Much to my surprise he tends not to use the Photo Vision target but rather he works with a light meter and his own experience and instincts and as I said it shows. To see him at work reminded me of the old days of film where you had to get it right the first time because you couldn't fix it in Photoshop.

Let's have a rousing hoorah for the old days and doing things right! Nuff said.

Click for larger version
Madison 
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Re: Madison
Old 10-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.122.159

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Its a nice soft portrait (and I am assuming that is what you intended).

As to the Photovision target, there are times it works very well and there are other times when a light meter is preferred. This is especially true when one is dealing with lighting ratios where the meter is essential. Also if the meter is well calibrated to the camera and the Photoshop you use, then it will work every bit as well as the target. The target can play an important part in getting that calibration done in the first place.

But over all, one of the wonderful things about digital, is that with a little experience you can usually get great results just by shooting a few test shots and looking at the histogram (with or without target). In almost all cases, whether you use a target or meter, you will end fine tuning the exposure based on the scene and the dominate areas you want to capture. I often find myself using a sort of modified zone system for getting the exposure I want. I sometimes use the target for this, but when I'm interested in moving one zone to another, I usually use my light meter in reflective mode and then adjust the exposure to shift the zone. Although this may sound like a lot of work, you soon find that you can do a good job of guessing the initial exposure just by looking at the scene or even just doing a quick check of what the camera's built-in spot meter shows you for an area.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 10-22-2007, 05:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43289
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to ProShotPhoto

ProShotPhoto is offline IP: 24.82.186.182

forgive me if I am wrong

but my own take on the good old days was you did what you could to buy the correct film and expose your photo accurately and took the shot.

Then someone maybe not you took it through the darkroom treatment where some variables could be applied to correct exposure and then it was printed and someone else maybe used thier best judgement to correct exposure issues and maybe adjust white balance to some extent.

What happened with digital tools is this process was inexpensively handed to the photographer IF he/she wanted to have this control.

So what is missing from the good old days is just the guy at the drug store or photo lab who processed your shots and corrected your errors for you, if you did not do it yourself in the darkroom.

I have seen images from over 100 years ago where the image had portions that were hand painted sometimes with more skill than many people can do with photoshop. There were artists who took pride in their work even back then before all the meters flashes and other advanced digital tools we have today.

All that happened in my mind with the digital era is that along with the added ability and flexability to work with the images came the added responsibility to do so.

The whole idea that great images came directly from the camera without expert handling is a fallacy to me, as there were always someone doing additional work after the shot.

this is just an image to keep with the rules in keeping with my support for the new abilities that make my artist expression possible.

aMuseBook.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ProShotPhoto Visit ProShotPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by ProShotPhoto

Old 10-22-2007, 07:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

"All that happened in my mind with the digital era is that along with the added ability and flexability to work with the images came the added responsibility to do so."

Unfortunately, Gus, as it seems with many things, a large number of the practitioners exercise the flexability without accepting the responsibility. But that was also true in the film era - GWC was an acronym long before the digital age.