Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
First posted images C&C appreciated
Old 09-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57319
Comments: 0

firel7 is offline IP: 72.88.86.240

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello everyone this is the first post for me on this site. I do a ton of reading but not really into posting unless I really have something to add to a discussion or a question I cannot find the answer to. I admire a lot of the work on this site and would love some good C&C on some of my first images. Thank you everyone in advance for your opinions as I really appreciate them and I hope they help me to improve my work.

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

I hope I posted these right!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to firel7 Find More Posts by firel7
Last edited by firel7; 09-16-2007 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: grammar correction

Re: First posted images C&C appreciated
Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 69.255.252.166

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Here's one opinion. You know what they say about opinions and $.50:

#1 - I think the shot is well lit. I like how you basically lit her face and let the light fall off from there. I think the pose could use a little help. I wouldn't square her to the camera, but would turn one of her shoulders away from the image plane. This would slim her body a little bit.

#2 - Lighting is ok, maybe a tad flat, but not bad. Unlike your first shot, this one is basically the same brightness everywhere. I'd have gone for more shadows somewhere - shadows make for more interesting images. The pose and facial expression don't do anything for me. And in my opinion the eye makeup is a distraction. It pushes her eyes back into her head and makes them look small. I'd have gone for way less eyeliner on the lower lid to start.

#3 - Lighting-wise, there's too much contrast for my taste. There isn't any detail in the blacks (hair, chair, top) and not much in the whites. This looks like no-mans land. Either really punch the contrast out and go artsy-crazy over the top or pull back, light it more softly and put detail back in your light and dark tones. Again, the pose (especially the positioning of the hands) doesn't work for me, nor does the camera angle.

In summary, I think you're on your way technically, but need to work on your composition, camera angle, and model interaction skills.

Lastly, and a *most* personal opinion, I'd back off on the skin post-processing. Others like it, but I'm not a fan of the untextured skin look. First learn the lighting techniques applied to optimize skin. It will save you time in post.

Click for larger version

-Chip

Old 09-16-2007, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57319

firel7 is offline IP: 72.88.86.240

Thank you for the critique. I much appreciate that as it is the only way I will improve. Your suggestions are well noted and I can definitely see and agree with some of them.

I will be honest that 2 and 3 are not my favoriteas I found it very difficult to work with that model and probably for some of the reasons you suggested, maybe the make-up and the facial expressions. She is a new model and looking for input also so i will make sure to convey more information to her should we shoot together again. I did find I needed to do more post processing on those photos than I would have liked and now I can see why. 1 on the other hand actually was barely touched it was just that smooth straight from camera. If I remember correctly I did very minor smoothing if at all. I can see the pose suggestion and I wish I would have seen that clearer before, now I hope to so thank you very much!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to firel7 Find More Posts by firel7

Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 69.255.252.166

Quote:
Originally Posted by firel7 View Post
--snip--
She is a new model and looking for input also so i will make sure to convey more information to her should we shoot together again. I did find I needed to do more post processing on those photos than I would have liked and now I can see why. 1 on the other hand actually was barely touched it was just that smooth straight from camera. If I remember correctly I did very minor smoothing if at all. I can see the pose suggestion and I wish I would have seen that clearer before, now I hope to so thank you very much!!!
Establish a rapport with her, talk about ideas, and get her involved with the creative process. Go hit a bookstore and pick up copies of Vogue, Cosmo, V, Zink, and/or other assorted women's beauty and fashion magazines whose themes and styles you like. Tear out the eyeliner, lipstick, make up, and hair product ads that really show faces and put them in a binder that you'll use for reference. Show them to her (or give a few of them to her) and work on reproducing the makeup in the looks you see. Also look at ads that show more of the body. Look at how the body is positioned and from what camera angles the images are shot.

In general, start breaking down the images that you really like and reverse-engineer them.

#1 is definitely the best shot of the three. It has depth and looks like you were really photographing her rather than simply taking her picture.

-Chip

Old 09-29-2007, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 12.108.210.155

Definition of openion

"Opinions are like A-- holes. Everyone has one and everyone but mine stinks."

LOL.

Good start. Keep it up and post often.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto