Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Judith
Old 07-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Calgary Model Judith Aldama in Heritage Park, Calgary Alberta.

The shot was taken on Friday, 27 July 2007 on a very hot, bright, sunny day at 32C (90F).

All lighting is natural. No reflectors or fill flash were used.

I am looking forward to your critique.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Re: Judith
Old 07-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 75.40.239.155

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

There are a couple things that bother me a bit. First I think a reflector throwing a little more light into her eyes could help a little bit. Not a biggie though.

Next, the hair, mostly on the models right side. That big loop is just bugging me alot.

And finally the necklace should be centered.

Other then those little things I like it. Keep up the good work.

Click for larger version

Old 07-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory View Post
There are a couple things that bother me a bit. First I think a reflector throwing a little more light into her eyes could help a little bit. Not a biggie though.

Next, the hair, mostly on the models right side. That big loop is just bugging me alot.

And finally the necklace should be centered.

Other then those little things I like it. Keep up the good work.
Great comments, thank you.

I'd like to ask a follow-up question of you and others.

When working with models for casual shoots, where you do want a slightly nature, almost unposed look, do you a) meticulously examine every image before pressing the shutter, or b) take several photographs as the model poses?

In my situation, Judith went from pose to pose quickly and effortlessly. I took several photos. Some were three quarter length, others were as above, and others were close-ups.

Also, do you tend to work using a tripod? I find it helpful. I like getting the camera in place and just making subtle adjustments as the model moves. I also like being able to turn off the image stabilizer. For the shots with Judith, I was using a Canon 70-200 L IS lens.

I am curious as to others' responses. Do you like using a tripod or not and why?

The reason for my questions is that I am still trying to work on my style of shooting. What works best for those who know best? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages?

Best regards,
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.165.230

I like to use a tripod. It helps hold the camera frame level so I don't accidentally tip it while chasing expression. I prefer to use large apertures and it is easier to hold focus if the camera is not moving. I can always tilt it on purpose if I want to.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 07-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 75.40.239.155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecyk View Post
Great comments, thank you.

I'd like to ask a follow-up question of you and others.

When working with models for casual shoots, where you do want a slightly nature, almost unposed look, do you a) meticulously examine every image before pressing the shutter, or b) take several photographs as the model poses?

In my situation, Judith went from pose to pose quickly and effortlessly. I took several photos. Some were three quarter length, others were as above, and others were close-ups.

Also, do you tend to work using a tripod? I find it helpful. I like getting the camera in place and just making subtle adjustments as the model moves. I also like being able to turn off the image stabilizer. For the shots with Judith, I was using a Canon 70-200 L IS lens.

I am curious as to others' responses. Do you like using a tripod or not and why?

The reason for my questions is that I am still trying to work on my style of shooting. What works best for those who know best? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages?

Best regards,
Kevin
1, You have to pay attention to the details when you are shooting. Whether you let the model move and you just shoot or if you pose her each time. You still have to see what you are shooting. I tend to do a combination of both. I will pose and get the shots that I see in my head and I will let them move around on their own. I am however still trying to watch the details.

2. I use a tripod when the situation warrants it. But as a general rule I dont like being tied down by a tripod. Typically what happens for me is that when I am shooting on location I will start with a tripod and then after a little bit I pull the camera and move around. I dont think there is a right or wrong answer that applies to all situations. If a tripod is needed because of low light or any number of other reasons then use it.

Click for larger version

Old 07-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

kgphoto & RSStory: Thank you very much for your answers.

I agree with you RSStory about the details.

Again, thank you.