Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Taken in my Garage..
Old 07-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I need to make myself a little more room, but overall I impressed myself.
what do you guys think?

View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Re: Taken in my Garage..
Old 07-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 75.40.239.155

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

well.... This is just my opinion and is given in the nicest way.

My first thought was..."What about this impressed him?" For me it is boring and pointless. There is no story here, no drama, nothing of interest at all. So I am left wondering what impressed you about it?

Click for larger version

Old 07-30-2007, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 68.102.99.102

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory View Post
well.... This is just my opinion and is given in the nicest way.

My first thought was..."What about this impressed him?" For me it is boring and pointless. There is no story here, no drama, nothing of interest at all. So I am left wondering what impressed you about it?

Click for larger version
Meany Head!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 07-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

One this image suffers from background wrinkle... you could fix that in post(watch out for Glenn) by burning the background black and part of your flooring lower right...the pose is too straight to create a feel of interest in other words no lines to draw you into the image..she's missing a foot, because of an awkward crop..or bad framing in the camera.the detail in your whites is slightly blown and your image has on overall redish tone to it....
hope this was atleast helpful

Don

View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 07-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52976
Comments: 43
My Mood:

soupman is offline IP: 75.41.8.14

I think I understand why you are impressed. You took this in your garage and it looks like you have a studio. It is easy to pick at problems in the photo, but if your garage is anything like mine...the look of your photo means that you stand a chance to produce some studio-quality photographs at home. Now you can change the color of your backgrounds and have some success with the Plexiglas on the floor.

I sense that you are moving to a different level in your photography. I looked at your portfolio and most of your photos show natural lighting and outdoors. Now you have more options.

Good Luck!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to soupman Find More Posts by soupman

Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59301

codeblue is offline IP: 68.93.123.114

I agree with soupman. If this was taken in my garage, I would be impressed. The composition can be improved but you obviously have put a lot of work into getting a setup that allows you to take a step up in your photography. Congratulations and keep it up.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to codeblue Find More Posts by codeblue

Old 07-31-2007, 03:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94

Thanks guys!!
What impressed me from the photo is I got the light right. I thought I had all the wrinkle out of the background [shrug] dang, Don your monitor must be HUGE [grin]. The purpose of putting her in that position is she wanted to show off her ink. It probably would have worked better if I had her sitting on her heels, with her legs together.
As far as the "story" goes, a photo with so little content outside the girl herself lends more to the viewers imagination. To see a redhead pulling her shirt over her head gives my little mind plenty to "run" with.

RSStory: I have a black felt 6' x 12' background and a small sheet (3'x4') of plexiglass, and a curvy redhead that wants a photo that shows her ink. How would you have set it up?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 07-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 75.41.5.189

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEdens View Post
Thanks guys!!

RSStory: I have a black felt 6' x 12' background and a small sheet (3'x4') of plexiglass, and a curvy redhead that wants a photo that shows her ink. How would you have set it up?
I looked to see if I shot anything comparable this year and this is as close as I could come. No tat but I would have shot it in this way. Not that this is a great shot, and it is on gray paper not black felt and no plexi-glass. But I do think this is a bit more interesting.

As for your light, I thought that looked ok.

Setting up a studio in a garage is not a big thing to me. Try setting up a studio in a beer cooler. Now that can be interesting. I have done that. I have heard RG say in the past that wherever you are is a studio or something to that effect. I think that is true. If the garage is what you have then make it work for you. Good luck and keep shooting.

Click for larger version

Old 07-31-2007, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

Good idea, thanks!!

She lives a couple of blocks away, so I'll get the chance to shoot her again soon.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
I thought I had all the wrinkle out of the background [shrug] dang, Don your monitor must be HUGE [grin]. The purpose of putting her in that position is she wanted to show off her ink.
Its not the size that matters its how ..well you know
if you're going for a tattoo shot...make the shot about the tatoo! get in close she doesnt need the feet,(minus 1) or the negative space to show off her tattoo! Just my senseless cents
P.S. my garage is my full time studio and I love it!! but I took the time and expense to set it up properly...Garage can be goooooood!