Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Helmut Newton inspired series
Old 05-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 70.149.19.163

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys,

In one of my classes we have to recreate the styles of different master photographers. This last week we had to shoot in the style of Helmut Newton. He seemed to have such random stuff in his photos sometimes, so we had the idea of playing a video game, and, well this is what we came up with.

Sorry, I know, it's a little wide. But anyways, I've got more, just gotta work 'em up, so as soon as I do I'll post 'em here.

For anyone interested, these were shot with a barebulb strobe with a diffusion gel over it to soften it up just a hint. There were also some barndoors on there too, but I THINK at the time they were set to where it didn't make much difference. I shot these on 35mm black & white film, too (first time I'd shot 35mm in a while), HP5+. The contrast was bumped up quite a bit in trying to keep with Newton's style.

You know the drill -- good or bad, lemme know.

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Helmut Newton inspired series
Old 05-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625
Comments: 0

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.59.131

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This looks superb on a 24" wide screen monitor, but I doubt it would fit on much less

I really like the idea, and the execution. About the only change I'd make would be to lose the gloves - they confuse the image around the hands, making it a bit harder to see that it's a video game controller.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.145.181

I would also expose for richer tones rather than the blown out look.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 05-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 71.60.65.171

If I may...and I know you'll understand that not only is this not personal, it's also worth possibly less than it's costing you...
Too much contrast on my screen - there's no texture to her skin on her belly or between her legs. I also don't see any texture to her hair. Newton did have some contrasty stuff, but a lot of his work is nowhere near so contrasty as what seems popular today. Another issue is that reproduction in print magazines added contrast, so his originals were less contrasty than many of the printed versions.
Personally, I like the gloves; might add a garter belt (and lose the bra and panties, model willing). A bit more "clutter" - a picture, a lamp, a table with wineglass - something to give the feel of lived-in room, not set. Great model, btw.
The idea is very good, and worthy of the assignment. You're doing real well, IMO.

BTW, Sam - Please excuse the patronizing tone. I didn't mean to sound quite so "Chin up, old bean. You can do it." as it comes across 24 hours later. You've just come so far so fast.
Last edited by jford; 05-14-2007 at 02:50 PM..

Old 05-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58595
Comments: 0

Ms. Muffy is offline IP: 72.24.239.23

Helmut Newton being my favorite photographer, I enjoyed these photos. I could tell where the inspiration came from before I even read it!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Ms. Muffy Find More Posts by Ms. Muffy

Old 05-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.225.51.93

Hey thanks everybody for the comments! Sorry it took so long to reply...

CatCynic -- Thank you! And the gloves, yeah, I flip-flopped about those before we shot, and I don't think we did get any shots without them...

kgphoto and John -- Yup I see what you're saying as far as exposure/contrast goes, and I think a lot of that is also the settings I had my scanner software set on too. In the negatives there's quite a bit more detail then what you see here (highlights in the hair, detail in the lightest parts of the legs). Oh and John we did actually test shoot some of these topless before I added the strobe (I tried some using the actual light from the TV, but the light was too soft and too low for a decent shutter speed). She doesn't post any nudes in her portfolio anymore, so I didn't wanna post any 'til I get a chance to talk to her first, and we did some nudes of other sets but no full nude on this set -- she's cool with nudity as long as no crotch is showing in the image. And I've got another set where there's a little more clutter, but I see what you're saying here, especially related to Newton -- it's kinda bare.

Oh and John, no need to apologize for anything! I didn't take it as patronizing or negative at all. I really do appreciate everything and always value your thoughts! My next style is to tackle Bruce Weber (but with women, lol), and then Ellen von Unwerth. That oughtta be fun.

Ms. Muffy -- Thank you very much, I'm glad you like 'em.
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley
Last edited by SamBeasley; 05-15-2007 at 12:21 PM..