Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Your Honest C&C Requested
Old 01-21-2007, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48023
Comments: 1

bc_shutterbug is offline IP: 70.66.195.104

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just finished sorting the shots from Thursday night with one of my favorite models, and one of my first. Rachel is back from International assignment and made some time to come see me for a fresh set to see if we could improve on our folios. Your honest feedback is, as always, appreciated.

Many Thanks in Advance.

njw
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug

Re: Your Honest C&C Requested
Old 01-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.103.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

What was the intent of these shots?

I understand they are for your book, but what are they simulating. For example if you are shooting catalog work, I would have different comments than if you were shooting fashion...

Things that immediately come to mind? The images appear to have a lack of styling, from the clothes to the hair to the makeup. The outfit in the first two shots really doesn't go - at least not on her. Her posing in the first two doesn't work either, especially the second in which she kills her hair with her hand - that looks awful. The first one just looks awkward, don't really care for either.

The next to are better, but again to what purpose. If you were shooting the jacket, neither really works, if shooting the girl, again, more attention should be paid to hair and makeup (actually that should be done in either case). Also in context with your other shots the background to these two is grey.

The next shot (patterned blouse) is the same. Why did you take it? To show the top? If that's the case you may want to watch your spill from the background and you're blowing out the edges of the top. White on white is a bitch, I know I'm building an all white set, you may want to rethink that, especially if the purpose of shooting on white seemless was to extract the model - it would be very difficult to do that with this shot.

I like the last shot the best, good pose, wardrobe has a catalog feel to it and it's a well composed 3/4 shot which showcases the jacket nicely. If doing the catalog thing I would have lit her a bit flatter (more on axis) to eliminate the shadows you have going on. Also watch for wrinkles in the jaket and jeans. It helps to have a stylist nearby watching and adjusting. This is one of the things I rarely notice while shooting and it always bites me in the ass later.

Best,

Matt
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Old 01-21-2007, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Matt:

Thanks for the very detailed reply. Lots of excellent advise there. I didn't really have a style in mind, and have learned from your comments that I really need to set my mind clearly on what the intent of a shot is before I compose the image. The greying of the background on the 2 closer shots was with intent... I wanted to keep some detail in the jacket, but the model is the intended focus. I don't have access to any support staff as yet, but will be building relationships with local stylists and hair / makeup artists this year. I know that the results will only get better with proper styling.

Thanks again for taking time to comment! It is very much appreciated.

njw
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug

Old 01-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 68.108.104.221

i'll go with matt's comments.

also, these images seem a little flat. i don't mean that you shot them flat, i think it's more from the post-processing. the blacks don't seem right and the mid-tones might be a bit too much to the white side.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 01-23-2007, 03:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks JimmyD!

I still seem to have some issues when I convert images to post, but I see what you mean. They do look have a little more contrast when I view the original files than when I view the posted ones.

I appreciate your time.

njw