Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Glashion or therabouts - C&C - 5 images
Old 01-03-2007, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41850
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to DannyZ

DannyZ is offline IP: 72.69.81.12

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This may or may not be my first post for C&C. =P
Model is Kat. She is a friend, and this was her first shoot. Makeup and styling was all her. Thanks for looking!

DZ

...about the picture frame. Took it down eventually... =P

...tried to get artsy

View Public Profile Send a private message to DannyZ Visit DannyZ's homepage! Find More Posts by DannyZ

Re: Glashion or therabouts - C&C - 5 images
Old 01-03-2007, 02:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.165.240

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

#1 bad angle and shadow problems on leg.
#2 shadow problems, especially on face.
#3 too busy. harsh shadows. She looks uncomfortable.
#4 Same as #3, and also the light cord.
#5 Best of the group.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-03-2007, 02:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38963
Comments: 2

timmerjean is offline IP: 69.178.53.81

My esteemed collegue has pretty well nailed it. On the plus side, you have a friend who is easy on the eyes, and willing to work with you. Go back and try again, taking what you've learned from this post. The only thing that I can add, because I'm always guilty of it, too, is try to watch out for "tunnel vision", meaning, don't get caught up with the model in the viewfinder, be aware of the background, foreground, shadows, and even, is she framed the way that you want her to be.
Trust me, I'm always guilty of this one. I anxiously await your next post.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timmerjean Find More Posts by timmerjean

Old 01-03-2007, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
Comments: 0
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 67.139.53.39

Actually I have no problem with the shadows on #1 & #2, I think it ads to the photos. You did a good job of balancing the ambient and fill lighting so you just see minimal shadows.

Nice job

Old 01-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.225.253

Sames as RFS with these exceptions. I like #3 & #4 with some changes and I don't get a sense the model is uncomfortable. If you have a chance to re-shoot them, you've already stated you got rid of the picture in #3 but I'd get rid of the table in the shot as well. #4 could be a great shot with a straightened lamp shade, cord hidden and I would try that shot with the lamp on. Exposed properly, I think the lamp would add to the shot's mood.

Great effort and beautiful friend/model.

Cheers,
LSC
Click for larger version
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 01-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 72.153.131.73

I like what's going on in #4, but I do agree with LSC about hiding the cord. And I'd either straighten the lamp shade too, or maybe try making it REALLY crooked, just for fun. Who knows, it could work maybe? Either way, just slightly crooked makes it look more like a mistake. Also maybe her expression -- it looks like her lips are kind of puckered, which I don't think is necessarily working with the overall feel of the image.

Anyways, I think you're on the right track! Keep it up,

Sam

http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41850
Send a message via AIM to DannyZ

DannyZ is offline IP: 72.69.81.12

Hey Everyone!
Thank you all for taking the time to advise and encourage! It is sincerely appreciated, especially since I did post quite a few images in this thread.

Mr. Smith, your points are all good, thank you. I was wondering if you could elaborate more on the bad angle in #1?

Mr. Timmerjean, thanks for the encouragement!

Mr. SteveB, yes, thank you! You noticed the effort to fill in the shadows a little before noon. =) The fill was with an AB in a softbox at the foot of the stairs, but on a lightstand telescoped to her level. This was shot on top of a new parking garage. Power was from a homebrew inverter/battery setup.

Mr. lsc1 and Mr. Beasley, I did see the crooked lampshade when I took the picture. I liked the way it tilted opposite the way Kat's facing. I will remember to make things like that more apparent next time for emphasis. Thank you Mr. Beasley. =) I also thought the tilt would add more "grit" to the feel of the photo.

Here's a little bit of background info for these photos. =) These shots were done after Kat and I looked through several fashion magazines to get a feel for fashion since I've only really studied glamour. I found myself disliking many of them, and didn't realize why until I noticed they "broke the rules" of good glamour photography.

For example, one photo I remember was shot looking down a desolate, decrepit street with one vanishing point. There were rusty old buildings, telephone poles and all. The model fills, from head to toe, only the center third of the image, and her side is towards the camera. The sky is overcast with no fill lighting. So the background seemed busy to me and the composition seemed off according to what I've learned about taking a good glamour photo.

In another image, the model is in a dimly lit stairwell with what appears to be green ambient lighting (like from fluorescent?) She's leaning against a wall, and there appears to be fill lighting from camera left, but her face disappears into the shadows on camera right. Behind her is an overexposed doorway with glare spilling around her frame. Again, the photo seemed off to me because the subject's face was not well lit.

I guess I'm relating all of this information because I'm curious if we, as glamour photographers, look at photos according to what makes for good glamour photography.

I am not disagreeing with any of your comments/critiques. I understand what you mean and can agree with them, especially relating to paying attention to the objects in the photo's environment, even the shadows, expressions and poses. Just curious what you think... =)

Thank you all again for your time and for helping me learn/grow. Have a great day!

Yours,
DZ

P.S. An attempt at something closer to traditional glamour...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DannyZ Visit DannyZ's homepage! Find More Posts by DannyZ