Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Glamour, Fashion or other?
Old 12-09-2006, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48023
Comments: 1

bc_shutterbug is offline IP: 70.66.195.104

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'd appreciate your feedback on these, and your opinion on what category they fall into. I'm afraid I'm still not really clear on where to draw the line between fashion and glamour, or if these are more suited to a different category altogether.

Many Thanks in advance!

View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug

Re: Glamour, Fashion or other?
Old 12-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_shutterbug View Post
I'd appreciate your feedback on these, and your opinion on what category they fall into. I'm afraid I'm still not really clear on where to draw the line between fashion and glamour, or if these are more suited to a different category altogether.
To me, fashion is about the clothes, and glamour is about the subject.

If the girl is looking at the viewer, then generally that creates a perceived relationship between subject and viewer. If the subject does not make eye contact then it is less personal and so the view shifts to what the subject is wearing and what the rest of the scene looks like.

So in that case none of the 3 photos is glamour since there is no clear eye contact in any of them. I suppose in both #1 and #3 they may be looking a the viewer but it is not clear and thus, in my mind, not enough establish it as very personal.

#1 seems more fashion to me. It would work better cropped above the knee rather than below. The exposure also seems off and the lighting is too uneven. Need more lighting in the upper area of the torso and face.

#2 seems to be neither fashion or glamour but maybe more what I call your basic tattoo shot.

#3 has exposure problems with the white fur blown out in front. Also with the eyes so squinted you can't tell where she is looking.

In final analysis, any photo of a pretty girl could be called glamour by someone.

Click for larger version

cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 12-09-2006 at 04:17 PM..

Old 12-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks rfs for taking time to clarify and comment!

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug

Old 12-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.160.125

here's my opinion.

#1. I would say fashion, because it feels like it's more about the clothes than the model.

#2 I would say it's a tattoo shot because the tatt is the main element of the photo. Also a side critique, I would suggest cloning out the dress from under her arm, it's a bit distracting from what is otherwise a great photo.

#3 Glamour with a seasonal twist?

Keep shooting, and keep posting.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45608
Comments: 3

Brad is offline IP: 24.227.51.250

yeah... o.k.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brad Visit Brad's homepage! Find More Posts by Brad

Old 12-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390
Comments: 0

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.25.247.217

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_shutterbug View Post
I'd appreciate your feedback on these, and your opinion on what category they fall into.

Please take my harsh comments as something for you to read into your images with and not a personal attack. I am not trying to be arrogant by any means. Just something for you to take note.

1. . It's kind of an attempt at catalog type fashion in a glamour type hands in the hair pose. In my opinion It will not work in any fashion because of the spill in light, wrinkles in fabric and discoloration. So where does that leave it? Just a picture of a girl wearing a cotton dress with hands in her hair?

2. Tattoo Glamour or Just a picture of a tattoo? Please try and see her top left like that is not flattering. The wrinkles in her neck too. Bring her chin up and elbow down for better composition. It could be tattoo fashion. Fashion does not have to mean always clothes. Fashion can sometimes make a statement.

3. Glamour but it could be fashion for a costume company. Depends on what it's used for. Fun expression! Sorry but it looks like a toilet was photoshopped out.
J T Smith (refer to my online portfolio for examples of my work)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 12-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

J T (and everyone else for that matter):

I would never take a critique as anything but an opportunity to learn. I have a ton of respect for the photographers on this and other sites, and would not even consider posting images for review if I didn't expect to take a few bumps and bruises.

I offer my thanks for your time and honesty as I know that you give it for free, and I strongly believe that more people (not so bad here, but on some sites it seems that an honest critique can turn ugly!) need to remember that having free and easy access to experienced professional review is something of huge value to those of us that are learning and developing in a new direction.

So to RG for providing this site as a resource, and to all of the members that take time to comment, my current and ongoing thanks!

Cheers!