Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
The hotel room
Old 11-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55838
Comments: 0

silverlight is offline IP: 86.134.11.4

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Please tell me what you think! pro and amateur opinions would be really appreciated.
Thanks for looking! and especially so if you can find the time to comment.

View Public Profile Find More Posts by silverlight

Re: The hotel room
Old 11-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

the pose is a little odd, especially the placement of the right arm. i would like to see that arm spread out, filling some of the negative space on the bed.

the crop is also odd in terms of where the image is cropped on her legs.

what's that electronic-looking thing on the bed? whatever it is, i found i spent more time trying to figure it out rather than admiring the model.

there's a lack of shadow detail in the bra and panties.

i would like to have seen her face cheated more to the camera, reagardless of whether or not she was making eye contact.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 11-28-2006, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Jimmyd hit most everything. Keep in mind the general rule of cropping people of cropping above the joint, not above it. Watch small details. For instance, the bra has some little black strings on the bottom of it. The remote or whatever it is, may give a realistic look, but in this case because its got the black box and wires to it that do make it very puzzling and so you look at it. The tones also tend to draw the eye away from the model (the bright white sheets are the brightest spot and tend to draw the eye). Etc.

Click for larger version

cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-28-2006, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54740

gunstar34 is offline IP: 74.39.17.24

I am going to put my amature opinion in there too since you asked for it. Id have to agree with the right arm, it looks very awkward and straining on the shoulder. I also concentrated on the...what I would think a phone on the bed? also, what is she looking at? I think if she looked twds the camera it would do much more for her facial features. otherwise she is very attractive and I like the idea of where your going with it. just my $.02

Old 11-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.40.50

I really like the concept, but I have to agree about:

1) The cropping. Should be above the knee or full length

2) The right arm. Stretched across the bed would be nice.

Another small thing: the messy bed is fine, but cover the mattress.

I like having the phone on the bed. (Am I the only one here who knows it's a phone? Bang & Olufson T1, I believe.) I would prefer to have it near her outstretched right hand. Seeing a bit more of her face would be nice, but I definitely don't think that her making eye contact with the camera with be appropriate for the scene.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 12-01-2006, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48366

eoym is offline IP: 24.118.115.224

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Jimmyd hit most everything. Keep in mind the general rule of cropping people of cropping above the joint, not above it. ........

Click for larger version

cheers,
rfs
So why doesn't that rule apply to this image?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eoym Visit eoym's homepage! Find More Posts by eoym

Old 12-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoym View Post
The so-called rules aren't set-in-concrete: They're more like general rules of thumb.

Another rule, one that applies to almost anything and everything, is called the 80/20 rule. When it comes to the rules of cropping, e.g., in terms of joints, i'd say the rule applies 80% of the time. But 20% of the time it can be broken to good results. That's where having a discerning and artistic "eye" comes into play, i.e., knowing when, 20% of the time, it works.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-02-2006, 01:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48366

eoym is offline IP: 24.118.115.224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
The so-called rules aren't set-in-concrete: They're more like general rules of thumb.

Another rule, one that applies to almost anything and everything, is called the 80/20 rule. When it comes to the rules of cropping, e.g., in terms of joints, i'd say the rule applies 80% of the time. But 20% of the time it can be broken to good results. That's where having a discerning and artistic "eye" comes into play, i.e., knowing when, 20% of the time, it works.
Thanks Jimmy. You pretty much proved my point here. I just found it curious that someone would criticize another for breaking a rule and then post a photo that breaks the same rule.
Truly, all of these so called "critiques" have to be taken with a grain of salt.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eoym Visit eoym's homepage! Find More Posts by eoym

Old 12-02-2006, 02:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoym View Post
It does apply, that's why I posted it.
But some photos have a better change of making it work.
Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-02-2006, 02:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

The other problem with critiques, is what photo to post when one makes a critique. I always wrestle with the issue because its a rule that we are supposed to post a photo with a critique. But when we do, several risks occur. One is that the photo is a great one and steals the thread and diverts it to the new photo which ruins he experience for the original poster. The opposite end is that someone start critiquing the required photo and again diverts attention from the original.
So when I chose a photo in this case, I did pick something that broke the same rule I had mentioned. But I know the rule and am always aware of it when I compose my shots in the camera and try to follow it generally. However sometimes the dictates of what one is shooting demand that one or more rules be placed aside.
Cheers,
rfs