Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Alice - honest CC please - thread open!
Old 11-22-2006, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43515
Comments: 0

DHDSP is offline IP: 80.69.192.135

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi everyone,

these pictures are from my first "real" model shooting in my home Studio. If I remember correctly, the lighting was extremely simple: an AB800 with hensel beauty dish, grid installed. The dish was positioned 4-5 feet higher than the model's head. I had to do some processing on the models skin.

Camera: 400D, 50mm 1.8mkII , f5.6 1/200s

What do you think about the result? What can i improve (oher than lowering the beauty dish some more - duh).

Please do not be gentle. I can get gentle on any other forum (like "fotocommunity.de ")

TIA
Peter

and the color version

Last edited by DHDSP; 11-22-2006 at 11:52 AM..

Re: Alice - honest CC please
Old 11-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

DHDSP is offline IP: 84.58.2.111

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Somehow this thread was closed (by me???, certainly was not meant to be closed).

I mean, I'v seen the "close thread" tickbox, and I know what it does.... Oh well.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TIA
Peter

Re: Alice - honest CC please - thread open!
Old 11-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48366

eoym is offline IP: 24.118.115.224

Peter, I think you did a pretty good job for your first go with a real model.

I think the composition is great. And with just a few minor "tweeks" the photo would be great as well.

You already mentioned having the light set up too high. I agree with that. I do think that the light is maybe just a bit too far off to the side as well.

Even with the light being that high, if the model had lifted her face up rather then having it tucked down, you would have gotten the light showing up in her eyes. Which I think would have really made this image. However, the shadow coming off her nose would still have been a little long, so moving the light closer to your position and having her lift her head would have really helped here.

The B&W seems to be quite blue, but I don't know if that is intentional or not?

Also, I'm not sure that the couch she's sitting on goes very well with the BG. The colors are just not going together very well.

All in all, just a few very minor changes would have really made for a great photo, so good job!

As per rule #10 ( I hate doing this!) :-)
But as long as I have to do it I might as we post one that demonstrates having the model direct her face to the main light in order to get the light hitting her face and eyes. The main light here is quite high and off to the side.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eoym Visit eoym's homepage! Find More Posts by eoym

Old 11-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

First of all the photo has a color cast to it (the color one), so you didn't get your WB correct. Second the photo is cropped a bit too tight. Third, the pose is awkward (a pose should look like something that might happen in real life and shouldn't leave the model looking strained). Fourth, blacks in many areas have no details at all. You need to try to set the lighting ratio so that you do have shadow details. Fifth, no catch lights (you should consciously try of catch lights in the eyes for most glamour shots).

For beginning glamour shots try an even lighting ratio of not more than 2 to 1. Add a fill light to even things out. Work on getting good shadow detail. Be sure to watch the white balance and try for warm flesh tones. Look for natural easy to hold poses that fit the scene. Don't jam the head against the top of the frame of the photo.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-23-2006, 02:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

First of all, thanks very much for taking the time to look at and comment my picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
First of all the photo has a color cast to it (the color one), so you didn't get your WB correct.
Now this as a first comment kinda surprises me. How do you measure colorcast? Both my monitors are calibrated (spyder pro) and I can't see(!) a color cast. I shoot in RAW , slide the WB to get nice skin tones and convert to jpg. Is the colorcast more red , oder more greenish ? (btw. the B/W version was supposed to be blue/green)

I agree on the cropping and probably on the pose.

Quote:
Fourth, blacks in many areas have no details at all. You need to try to set the lighting ratio so that you do have shadow details.
Understood, and I can see the problem.I already adjusted exposure in PS to get detail in the dress - but some of the shadows just were completely black. This is probably tricky when using a beaty dish with grid as the ON LY light, reflectors wouldn't suffice i think. Would you take e.g. a big octadome light for the fill ? My biggest softbox till now, is 24x35.

Quote:
Fifth, no catch lights (you should consciously try of catch lights in the eyes for most glamour shots).
Great that you mention this. I always asked myself if catchlights are produced by lights that do or do not add to overall lighting the subject. I mean, do i have to have a flash JUST for creating catchlights? Or do I just make sure the main light or fill are visible in te eye?

Quote:
For beginning glamour shots try an even lighting ratio of not more than 2 to 1. Add a fill light to even things out. .
Recap: a 2:1 ratio means 1 f-stop difference between the darkest and brightest part of the subject. Now I have a sekonic meter with retractable dome, do I measure the ratio with all the lights on , dome extended ? Just measuring the lights one by one won't help much, right ? My problem is probably going to be finding the darkest part of the subject. ..

TIA!

Peter

Old 11-23-2006, 03:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Ok.... Get the light down, and more to the center - or have her look into the light.. Probably better with a beauty dish anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoym View Post
The B&W seems to be quite blue, but I don't know if that is intentional or not?
Yes - that was intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoym View Post
Also, I'm not sure that the couch she's sitting on goes very well with the BG. The colors are just not going together very well.
You're right...

Thanks for taking the time looking at my photo and commenting.

CU
Peter

Old 11-23-2006, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

The color photo has a distinct reddish to magenta color cast especially in the skin. Even with proper white balance, you can have this happen due to the red that is so predominate in the props and backgrounds. You have to deal with this in some manner, often in Photoshop. As for catchlights, probably lowering the beauty dish would have helped in that regard as well as in evening out the lighting. I think you could have used a reflector to even out the lighting ratio but it is easier with a second light in a softbox or umbrella.
As to the ratio, you don't even need a meter if you have a good flash system. You just set one light, measure the fstop at the model position, then set the second light at the same distance on the opposite side and set it to one stop less than the power of the other light. To get the fstop of the first light I just use the camera's histogram and a gray card, or black/gray/white target.
The catch light usually comes from one or more of the lights used and is usually from the key or main light. You don't usually have to use a light dedicated to that purpose alone.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith