Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Lynsey - White on White
Old 10-28-2006, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48023
Comments: 1

bc_shutterbug is offline IP: 70.66.195.104

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Trying to refine my white seamless use and lighting.

Your feedback is appreciated as always.

Many thanks

View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug

Re: Lynsey - White on White
Old 10-28-2006, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42326
Comments: 0

DeanP is offline IP: 67.161.141.163

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Let me start by saying I dont shoot much for high key images so take it for what its worth. I like the image, but you might try flaging some of the light that is hitting the models right side. The model blends into the bg and you can't see the details in the whites. What did you use for your lighting set-up?

My try with high-key

Dean

Old 10-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

That's a cool sweater!

Old 10-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 210.124.155.165

I can't offer much in the way of suggestions, but perhaps the blended look is what you're trying to achieve. I prefer contrasts like the photo Dean presented. Perhaps Lynsey could wear something lighter. The sweater just seems a bit "heavy" for a white on white. Either way Lynsey is pretty young lady with a nice shape.

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 10-29-2006, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifcap View Post
I can't offer much in the way of suggestions, but perhaps the blended look is what you're trying to achieve. I prefer contrasts like the photo Dean presented. Perhaps Lynsey could wear something lighter. The sweater just seems a bit "heavy" for a white on white. Either way Lynsey is pretty young lady with a nice shape.

JW
My major goal here was to find that happy balance where a subject in white would be properly exposed to show details in the sweater, while still maintaining good skin tone and a good white seamless background. It's a fine line (I'm not sure it's really 'high key' as such - but pretty close to it) and one I've been struggling a little with to get just right. My main concern here is - did I get it right?

And yes, Lynsey is a very pretty lady... and easy on the eyes. There are a few more of her (my muse!) in my port.

Dean! I really love that shot! I'll have to try something like that with Lynsey next time I get her in front of the white paper.

Thanks all for your feedback! It's helping me out tons as I explore new areas of expression.

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug

Old 10-29-2006, 02:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 210.124.155.165

You nailed the exposure! Again nice work and keep shooting!

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 10-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_shutterbug View Post
Trying to refine my white seamless use and lighting.
Norman,

Contrary to a couple of the other folks, on my relatively well adjusted monitor, there is just a bit of blending into the background on her right side... I can still see details just fine. So,I think, as someone else suggested, it might be the beginnings of some lens flare. I've found the key to doing high key, especially white on white, is to keep the background lights on the background, and off the model and the lens.

I I've found it beneficial to set the boundaries of a high key image by adding a frame to the image, like this:

The only other thing I can add is that I believe your logo detracts from the image, not only by its size, but by its placement. A smaller logo, down towards the bottom of the image, might achieve the same protection and ownership notification while not competing with the image, yes?

Nice image of Lynsey... very photogenic young lady!

Old 10-29-2006, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Once again my thanks to all for your replies.

Wayne: You are so right about the logo. I had changed it for repost but forgot to revise the copy on this site. So the new one is posted to my port, and to this post.

Also, and I almost hate to ask this, with regards to the term 'high-key' that has come up several times. Is this really high-key? In my mind, if I were shooting for a real high-key effect, I'd actually have my key light up hotter, right to the edge of losing detail, as opposed to lighting to retain and show detail. Am I off track on my understanding of this term?

Your Wisdom - as always - is appreciated and respected.

Cheers!

Old 10-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

I think you're well on your way to something good, but it needs refining. I like white on white because it gives one the chance to go for a more ethereal look. Here is an example of high key with Haley:

I usually try an get a little blow back from the background to burn out the white outfit around at least one edge as I think it give a bit of added softness to the photo. I do try and get a good catch light because I think that is important to high key glamour.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 10-31-2006, 12:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43289
Send a message via MSN to ProShotPhoto

ProShotPhoto is offline IP: 24.82.172.109

I think you did a geat job of achieving what you set out to do. I am impressed, however the image actually distubs my eyes ?? I feel it is the overall brigtness and she sheems a little soft - If I had this image to work with I would be trying to achive greater contrast.

I have not been competely successful at shooting white (as my whitepaper usually ends up a bit grey) on white effectivel yet yself so i am not about to make any suggetions

aMuseBook.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ProShotPhoto Visit ProShotPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by ProShotPhoto