Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Wedding Butterflies
Old 10-08-2006, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52222
Comments: 0

heavenly_light is offline IP: 74.129.19.141

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey everyone,

I went today and took several test images at the chruch where my first professional wedding debut will be at on the 28th of October. Butterflies are already here. These images are of my wife but, try to think of a bride in her place. What do you all think? C&C's welcomed.

Take care and be safe.
God be with you,
Tony

View Public Profile Send a private message to heavenly_light Visit heavenly_light's homepage! Find More Posts by heavenly_light

Re: Wedding Butterflies
Old 10-09-2006, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54653

Ozzie is offline IP: 70.127.155.191

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tony,

You have some great light on your wife in image #1. The only nit I would suggest is a slightly higher camera level so that the your not looking into nostrils.

Although image #2 is interesting, I don't find it flattering from a portrait perspective. I try to avoid shooting so low and looking up into the nose.

If you shoot with image #3, bracket widely and use HDR or multiple levels to get your background and subject to get the light you need.

As for the butterflies, get used to them, they stick around awhile,even after you have a few weddings under your belt! Remember, don't drink at the reception. Good luck.

Ozzie
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Ozzie Visit Ozzie's homepage! Find More Posts by Ozzie

Old 10-09-2006, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 75.41.1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie
Tony,

As for the butterflies, get used to them, they stick around awhile,even after you have a few weddings under your belt! Remember, don't drink at the reception. Good luck.

Ozzie
WHAT???? No drinking at the reception? ok...that explains the weird images I keep seeing on my cards after I shoot a wedding. I know I dont remember taking them.

You are right though. Every wedding is a nerve wracking experience because we only have one chance to get the shots we need. This isnt gonna get a reshoot thats for sure.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54374
Send a message via Yahoo to racket4life

racket4life is offline IP: 24.159.62.56

I love the concept in all three images. Yes, the shooting up the nose has to be corrected through your choice of angles and maybe head tilt in the first and second. I would also maybe try and include some of the dress and boquet in the second image. Your focus should be on the bride, the flattering dress, and work the floralist went through in the boquet. (Is floralist a word? Sorry if it is not). The third image is great. Is there a way for you to shed a little light on the subject while still keeping the filtering light coming through the window? I think a soft glow on the bride would magnify the impact of the image as well as justify focusing primarily on the window and not the bride. You have some creative images here. Fine-tuning them will yield great results.

Cheers and good luck....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to racket4life Visit racket4life's homepage! Find More Posts by racket4life

Old 10-09-2006, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 52386

Arkie is offline IP: 207.119.234.127

After 25 years of shooting weddings (over 700 by now), I still get butterflies now and then. The secret to doing a good job at a wedding is to be a good Boy Scout...always be prepared. Make sure you have blank memory cards in one place and full ones in another (no mix-ups). Have extra batteries handy and check them before you leave home to make sure they are ready. Have an extra camera ready in case the unthinkable happens. Heck, I even bring an extra pair of pants in case I split my britches (yes, it has happened, TWICE). If you prepare well, you can relax a little knowing that you have all your bases covered. Plan to arrive 30 minutes early just to make sure traffic doesn't make you late.
A couple of other tips: go to the bathroom ten minutes before the wedding starts (so you won't be distracted during the wedding). Remember that the bride and her mother are the bosses...not you. Treat everyone with courtesy and you will book more weddings. At the reception, not only don't booze it up, but keep the bride in your line of sight all night. She might do something that deserves a shot or hug someone special or want you to "get a picture of us".
I book all of my weddings from referrals and a little yellow page ad and do from 25 to 30 a year. I have the attitude that I am not selling an image on a piece of paper, I am providing a service that they will always remember every time they look at a wedding picture. Arkie
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Arkie Find More Posts by Arkie

Old 10-09-2006, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 68.120.83.96

I like number one the best, but perhaps some CC is in order.

I would also take some shots similiar to #1, but drag the shutter to show more of the church. For example, I usually would light with an off camera strobe into a shoot through umbrella on a monopod held by an assistant. Drag the shutter though, to record some of the ambient light, thereby exposing more of the church architectural details. So many wedding shooters, just shoot tight and you never get to see the environment. Just my two cents.

R
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD

Old 10-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52222

heavenly_light is offline IP: 74.129.19.141

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the encouragements, comments, and tips. I am glad to see that it is not my nerves getting the best of me. I will be putting your tips and comments to use. I will post my images as soon as I am able to after the big day.

Take care and be safe.
God be with you,
Tony

View Public Profile Send a private message to heavenly_light Visit heavenly_light's homepage! Find More Posts by heavenly_light