Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Color or B/W?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42326
Comments: 0

DeanP is offline IP: 67.161.141.163

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Couple images for your critique. Still working on my b/w conversions. Appreciate your thoughts on these.

Thanks,
Dean

Re: Color or B/W?
Old 10-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52222

heavenly_light is offline IP: 74.129.19.141

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey,

I love B & W but, here I would say if the conversion was different because on my monitor it is really dark. (It may be me because I used Adobe Gamma and not a color monitor software as of yet $$$) I would have to say I like the color between these two images you have. The color image looks soft to me but, it could be the was you intended it to be.

Take care and be safe.
God be with you,
Tony

View Public Profile Send a private message to heavenly_light Visit heavenly_light's homepage! Find More Posts by heavenly_light

Old 10-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 67.139.53.39

I prefer the B&W, however I think you need to work on the contrast a bit.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Still learning how to get the conversions right. Really didnt like how just using the desaturate looked so I tried playing with the channel mixer. Mental note.... lots of buttons and sliders on that window that makes it easy to mess things up Anyone use the channel mixer? Looking for a starting place to use it. Appreciate the comments folks.

Dean

Old 10-08-2006, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 71.137.157.237

Hey Dean,
IMO, the black and white is a stronger image, but I am kind of biased though. But the reasons I say that in this case is because there is something lacking in the color, not much pop to it, but with the b&w, there is something there. But, that's just me.

Isaiah

Old 10-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks Isaiah. Kinda biased myself in that I prefer b/w images. Leaves a bit more to the imagination.

Dean

Old 10-09-2006, 12:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54653

Ozzie is offline IP: 70.127.155.191

Dean I really like your soft color version here, but alas I'm here to learn glamour too, so take my comments for the 2 cents they're worth.

I have a tool that I feel is indespensible for creating b&w images and it works very much the way some of the PS channel mixer techniques do, but without the hassle.

Go here;
http://www.optikvervelabs.com/

Download the free "Virtual Photographer" plug in to use with Photoshop and play with the settings.

The steps are;

1. Go to presets in Virtual Photographer and select B&W from the drop down
menu
2. On the right, select red filter or green filter, or use the slider to create a custom effect. This is where, the filters are similar to channels.
3. Click on the effect button to add effects like soft focus, etc.

Good luck.

Hope you find it usefull.

Ozzie
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Ozzie Visit Ozzie's homepage! Find More Posts by Ozzie

Old 10-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 54301

jewltronics is offline IP: 166.82.151.140

I too like the B&W...

and also here to learn posing and such...that plugin is really easy and i love being able to scroll through the presets and see what works...

julian
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jewltronics Find More Posts by jewltronics

Old 10-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks, just downloaded it. Question, seems it only works with jpeg files. Anyway to have it active when working with RAW or Photoshop files? Noticed that alot of the filters are not available unless you are working with a jpeg file.

Looks to be a pretty cool plug in.

Dean

Old 10-10-2006, 01:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54653

Ozzie is offline IP: 70.127.155.191

Hey Julian, thats exactly why I like it too, way easy to see what looks the best without a lot of fiddling.

Dean, I'm using CS2 and I believe it works with raw files, but let me clarify that comment because I may not understand CS2 completely.

When I open a raw file (Nikon), there is a an initial dialog box to the right that lets you adjust wb, color, contrast, exposure, shadows, brightness and sharpness, etc. Once I select the appropriate setting I then click on "Open" and the file is then sent to photoshop from bridge? right? Anyhow, at this point my image on the top of the screen is still identified as *.nef and the filter works on it at this point. This is still a raw file at this point, no?

Short answer is I think it works on raw files, because on my screen it shows *.nef and I can apply all the filters at that time.

Sorry, for the complicated reply but Photoshop is my weakest link in my skill set.

Ozzie

PS my favorite is the b&w anvil effect.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Ozzie Visit Ozzie's homepage! Find More Posts by Ozzie