Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Sabrina
Old 10-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42503
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to insanepinoy

insanepinoy is offline IP: 71.146.159.168

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Meet the beautiful Sabrina. Shes a total cutie and a pleasure to work with. We just finished our shoot a couple hours ago and I just had to work on this one.

Ok this is my first time using multiple lights so it was a bit of a challenge for me. Sometimes I have a short patience but this time I really had to get this workin right. I metered each light individually. Back lights both had barn doors and foiled on side of backdrop to control spill with amber? gel. Placed left and right behind of model and was metered a stop difference with my main camera right. I also used a reflector camera left for fill.

I'd like to hear some points on how to make this lighting better or is it fine as is. I'm not really diggin the shadow below her chest and was wondering if strip lights would work better.

I've been following JimmyD's blogs and read most of them when I get the chance. He has some great pointers on there too which are easy to follow like making cup of noodles. The lighting he produces in his work is just amazing so I try to study "his techniques" since he puts it out there for everyone. Hey Jimmy would like to hear your thoughts on this bud!

I just noticed her neckline. Back to photoshop...

Re: Sabrina
Old 10-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.225.53.219

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey Randy, I think it's great to be critical of your own work and all, but when you got it, you got it, and, well, I think you got it. I know, I ain't no Jimmy, but I had to put my 2˘ in.

Nice.

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 10-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.160.125

Since I usually burn cup of noodles, could you please tell me what you think is wrong with her neckline? I see it and think it's okay. It's a pretty good photo, and you should be proud of it.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 210.124.155.165

Wow!

Sorry you think your photo needs some work. It looks fine to me and I can only hope my first effort looks half as a nice.

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 10-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35737

David Bunch is offline IP: 216.231.162.9

Fine first multi-light effort. Some things to watch...

Your left kicker/rimlight is too strong, you're blowing too much detail. Remember when you are metering that the meter is reading 18 percent gray (theroetically). To read as a kicker, you only need 1 stop extra, not necessarily 2.

Light spill onto the tip of the nose bothers me a tad.

Her top looks out of place with the bottoms. A rubber band + lingerie? Nah.....

Watch the hair. Dark hair on a dark background soaks up a TON of light. Always tricky, especially in the beginning. Try raising the right kicker to give a bit of light on top.

Here's one I played with a bit. Sarah Elizabeth, Playboy's Miss November 2006. With regard to blown detail, this was purposeful, for the "Sin City" look.
MUA: Gayle Elizabeth

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch

Old 10-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

insanepinoy is offline IP: 71.146.156.92

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bunch
Fine first multi-light effort. Some things to watch...

Your left kicker/rimlight is too strong, you're blowing too much detail. Remember when you are metering that the meter is reading 18 percent gray (theroetically). To read as a kicker, you only need 1 stop extra, not necessarily 2.
Thanks. I know why the left kicker is strong now.

Quote:
Light spill onto the tip of the nose bothers me a tad.
Should my left kicker move further back or more to the right to avoid that?

Quote:
Her top looks out of place with the bottoms. A rubber band + lingerie? Nah.....
LOL Yah.. she didn't have a top to go with it so we used her belt.

Quote:
Watch the hair. Dark hair on a dark background soaks up a TON of light. Always tricky, especially in the beginning. Try raising the right kicker to give a bit of light on top.
Ok, I'll try that next time around. Thanks for taking the time David.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

I have come to think what looks good to some will not look as good to others. When I shoot, I try to control the ratio of the light and even when I think I have it just about right some will say I need more light here or I have to much light there. So take this with a grain of salt.

To me the light is to hard on the left side and on the back right side. I say this only because it is what I look for in my own work. And to others it may just be great the way it is..

Over all she looks great and you did light her face just right..

I have nothing with a black background to post but here is a shot of Katie..

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 10-06-2006, 04:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanepinoy
Thanks everyone.

Thanks. I know why the left kicker is strong now.

Should my left kicker move further back or more to the right to avoid that?

Ok, I'll try that next time around. Thanks for taking the time David.
I think it's not a problem that can be fixed by moving the light back or to the right. What I have found is the more back you move the light the harder the light will look. Move it in and maybe meter it again. I find by keeping the light close to the model you get softer light.. Play with it and let us know what you find..

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 10-09-2006, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

insanepinoy is offline IP: 71.146.144.219

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Look_Photo
I think it's not a problem that can be fixed by moving the light back or to the right. What I have found is the more back you move the light the harder the light will look. Move it in and maybe meter it again. I find by keeping the light close to the model you get softer light.. Play with it and let us know what you find..

Mike
Ok, I'll try metering over first to see if that works better the next time I have a victim for my experiments and then I'll try moving in closer too. The closer and larger the softer... I think thats the law right? Anyways, I'll mess around agan.. Thanks!!

You and David have some gorgeous models!