Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
This one needs some work, first critique posting
Old 09-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36902
Comments: 0

cospringsfotoguy is offline IP: 70.33.5.216

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I recently shot Misty http://www.glamour1.com/photopost/sh...hp?photo=23842
in my newly set up studio and in general am pleased with the "look" of it. But it clearly has some problems.
- The shorts bunched up in back, any ideas?
- Her hair isn't bad, but goes astray along her back.
- It's not full length, her legs are cut off. My studio is very small, and I couldn't really move back much farther, any input?
Those are the major things I see. Creative input would be most appreciated. I should have taken more time with it for sure, but would like to reshoot it with different models in the future.
Thanks- JD

Re: This one needs some work, first critique posting
Old 09-17-2006, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cospringsfotoguy
I recently shot Misty http://www.glamour1.com/photopost/sh...hp?photo=23842
in my newly set up studio and in general am pleased with the "look" of it. But it clearly has some problems.
- The shorts bunched up in back, any ideas?
- Her hair isn't bad, but goes astray along her back.
- It's not full length, her legs are cut off. My studio is very small, and I couldn't really move back much farther, any input?
Those are the major things I see. Creative input would be most appreciated. I should have taken more time with it for sure, but would like to reshoot it with different models in the future.
Thanks- JD
The biggest problem is the lack of focus. The eyes look very soft and since you didn't get a catch light they don't really engage the viewer. The eyes are the key to glamour photography when the model is looking at the viewer. Since you were shooting at f8 you had adequate depth of field, so I'm unsure why the eyes are soft. Is it possible that you focused on the eyes, then locked focus, and then recomposed. That will often give the soft eyes you have in the photo.

I would crop more off the left to give a better balance to the shot. The long hair is okay. The back leg is too far forward and because of the light falloff doesn't work too well. I would have that leg back a bit, and the model a bit higher so their is clearance between torso and back leg.

With this model you have a lot to work with. The hair is a wonderful asset and you should be able to really use it to your advantage.

Just watch the focus issue very closely. Make sure the yes are sharp and be sure to arrange the lighting so you have catch lights in the eyes.

[img]http://www.glamour1.com/photopost/data/500/candace-film.jpg[/img

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

I can't find the point of focus anywhere in this shot except maybe on that leather skirt somewhere. That's the biggest problem. Also, as you mentioned, the framing doesn't work. You could try cropping at mid-thigh but I think her left arm is extended too far for that to work. If your studio is too small to capture poses like this, then don't try. Save it for some outdoor work or in a room that's adequate. I don't think you need to find different models to try this again. The model in the image is great. She's quite pretty and I love the red hair.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 09-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.39.2

If you get her to lift her torso (as RFS suggested), then the shorts will sit better, and it will draw her left arm into frame. I'd lose the shoes, too - they add a bit of unnecessary fussiness.

The hair is a big plus, and she's a good looking model.
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Old 09-17-2006, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Gracias to all of you...
I like to use the "diffuse glow" feature in Photoshop perhaps to my detriment.
In addition I spot focused at mid-torso. Mistake, yes?
As for the lighting..I think I know what I need to do to fix that.
Lose the shoes, raise the torso and push the leg back, I get it.
I'll definately shoot it again in a larger area...with better fitting shorts.
I may have mistakenly implied Misty's a poor model which is certainly not the case.
I was just thinking about other models who would look good in the shot.
There's a lot for me to think about on...thanks again.
JD

Old 09-17-2006, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
...In addition I spot focused at mid-torso. Mistake, yes?
Holy frijoles, Batman! Focus on them eyez!

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 09-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Gracias to all of you...
I like to use the "diffuse glow" feature in Photoshop perhaps to my detriment.
In addition I spot focused at mid-torso. Mistake, yes?
I sometimes like to make the photo more diffuse myself. But you don't want it to affect the eyes. So what you do is create a duplicate layer. Apply the diffusion technique to that to taste, then add a layer mask and then paint the eyes with a soft black brush to add back the original sharpness. If you need to sharpen the eyes even more, then check out my post on fixing eyes. I posted two of them in the Digital forum some time back.

Here is a screen shot to give you the key elements of the technique:

Photo on left is before the blur. Photo on the right is after the blur. Note that the eyes are still sharp on the right photo. You can see on the screen shot on the little white rectangle in the dupe layer where I painted with the black brush.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-18-2006, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 69.242.186.36

Try angling the model 45º to the camera if you want all of her in the image in a confined space. Watch your DOF though.

Rick D.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Great input from all of you, I truly appreciate it.
I'll definately bone up on your layer technique, rfs...I think it would help for sure.
No doubt...they eyes are the ticket, thanks Jimmy.
Lose the shoes, good call, cat.
As far as dof (Rick)...I may be screwed there...my Fuji S7000 doesn't go smaller than f8, wish I'd known that before I got it. Live and learn.
Thanks again, gents...I plan on shooting a lovely hispanic young lady soon with your suggestions in mind.

Booyakasha!
JD