Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
My Pics From This Past Weekend - Isabel
Old 09-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46562
Comments: 0

SWING_THE_PHOTOG is offline IP: 74.225.177.244

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is my first post of my pics for a critique so be nice...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Re: My Pics From This Past Weekend - Isabel
Old 09-14-2006, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

rather than just critiqueing these images, here's some advice for next time you go outside to shoot:

1. For the most part, especially until you become more experienced, keep the sun behind the model and use fill from the front-- Flash-fill, reflector, whatever. (Yeah, I know you did that in #1.)

2. Shadows can add interesting drama to an image. They can also be as distracting as bright highlights when they simply don't work. (#4 is a good example with the plant's shadow on the over-exposed wife-beater.)

3. Highlights become easily blown-out, especially in digital. If you're using any of your camera's auto-modes this is going to be a perpetual problem; especially when shooting in conditions with a wide exposure range... which is the case with most of your images.

4. Keep shooting! Keep learning! Practice, practice, practice!!!!! Is your pretty model, Isabel, a good friend or g/f? If so, keep dragging her butt out there to shoot.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 09-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

SWING_THE_PHOTOG is offline IP: 70.147.3.175

Thanks for the feed back Jimmy d.

about your comment number 2)

"Shadows can add interesting drama to an image. They can also be as distracting as bright highlights when they simply don't work. (#4 is a good example with the plant's shadow on the over-exposed wife-beater.)"

pic 4 was a good example or a bad example of the use of shadows?

in regard to your comment number 3)

"highlights become easily blown-out, especially in digital. If you're using any of your camera's auto-modes this is going to be a perpetual problem; especially when shooting in conditions with a wide exposure range... which is the case with most of your images."

what would be your recommend solution to this issue?

Old 09-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWING_THE_PHOTOG
Thanks for the feed back Jimmy d...

...what would be your recommend solution to this issue?
if you're serious about your photography and you don't already have one, get yourself a light meter, learn to use it, and shoot in manual mode.

use something for fill whenever you can: fill flash, a reflector, whatever.

pay attention to details. it's all in the details. train your eye to scan the viewfinder for those details that work and don't work.

My NSFW blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 09-14-2006, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 53257

CamScam is offline IP: 67.137.230.198

Quote:
"Shadows can add interesting drama to an image. They can also be as distracting as bright highlights when they simply don't work. (#4 is a good example with the plant's shadow on the over-exposed wife-beater.)"
pic 4 was a good example or a bad example of the use of shadows?
the plant shadow is a destraction in the image
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CamScam Find More Posts by CamScam

Old 09-14-2006, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

i am serious but haven't made the leap to get a light meter yet, I've been using the info from the camera's light meter and the histograms the camera gives me as well.

any recommendation for a worthwhile light meter to purchase.

i want to take my photography to the next level and i'm very serious so all advice is much appreciated

CamScam: when i was composing that shot and had the model there i saw that shadow and included it on purpose to breakup the white on the shirt. the fact that you find it distracting is interesting. thank you for your feedback.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
i am serious but haven't made the leap to get a light meter yet, I've been using the info from the camera's light meter and the histograms the camera gives me as well.
the histogram should have shown you those blown-out areas. altho i don't know what kind of camera you're using, on a canon those highlights would have been blinking away telling you they're over-exposed.

Quote:
i any recommendation for a worthwhile light meter to purchase.
I use a KONICA MINOLTA VF which is one of the less expensive meters that gets the job done.

My NSFW blog

Old 09-14-2006, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

That pic was over exposed cant argue with that.
i'll be looking into getting that light meter asap.

i'll also post some other pics soon to show more of my work