Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
2nd Fashion Shoot
Old 07-07-2006, 03:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 72.155.208.121

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys,

Thought I'd post up an image from my last shoot about a little over a month ago. This was for another fashion editorial that I'm working on pitching to some magazines, and hopefully somebody will pick it up.

Model - Heidie, St. Louis (MM# 120540)
MUA - Michelle, Memphis
Styling - Carrie
(it's sad I can't remember anybody's lasts names right now)

Technical info:
Camera/Lens - Contax 645/Standard 80mm
Film/Developer - Fuji Neopan Acros 100 (E.I. 50)/Rodinal (1:50)
Exposure - f13 @ 1/15 sec.
Lighting - Just daylight

Clothes:
Dress - Roberto Cavalli (this image doesn't do Heidie justice -- she looked absolutely fierce in that dress!!!)
Shoes - Chinese Laundry
Earrings model's own

The story's based around the idea of time, and the passage of time to an extent. I wanted movement from at least one of two sources: the clothes or background elements.

I wanted clothes that had some "flow" to them, and I wanted to use slow shutter speeds to capture some slight movement when the wind would blow. I fully expected there to be enough wind, as the spot I chose to shoot at is ALWAYS fairly windy. Well, lucky me, this one day, there was nothing -- the air was the most stagnant I've ever experienced it being through there. I wasn't prepared to have an extra person there to, say, hold a reflector or something and fan Heidie (well Michelle was cool enough to hold a reflector for me when needed, but that was for actual light reflecting ) and to be honest, it never even crossed my mind before, since I just KNEW it would be windy like always. Lesson learned -- be prepared for anything.

As for movement from background elements, the water jets in the background have that covered here to a degree (though the movement really didn't register as much as I had hoped), but every once in a while a trolley would pass by which looked pretty cool, too.

Weather-wise, at least half the conditions I hoped for were good. I didn't get my brisk breezes, but at least it was rather overcast that day, which I was glad about 'cause I kind of envisioned these as being fairly low to normal contrast (the color images were shot on Portra 160NC).

Even though conditions weren't exactly as I wanted (yeah, how often does that really happen? ), it was a really fun shoot! These were shot in the heart of downtown Memphis, where all the local government buildings are (one of the main city government buildings was right behind me). This is kinda off-topic I guess, but in an area like that, are you supposed to have a permit to shoot there? 'Cause not only did I not have one, but the business people walking by seemed to enjoy watching.

Okay y'all, as for this image, is there anything that woulda made it better? I was so exhausted by this time (we literally shopped 'til we dropped for the clothes and stuff two days straight before then, and we didn't get our last outfit 'til the day of the shoot) that I know there's something I must've missed. The only thing I can really think of is that I wish I had asked Heidie -- keeping the pose exactly the same otherwise -- to move over just a bit to the right to get her away from the ornamental metal thing on the pole in the background. Anything else? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Okay, I'll stop talking now.

Sam

P.S.: This is the first time I've worked with all three of the crew members involved, and I definitely hope I get to work with each of them again!
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: 2nd Fashion Shoot
Old 07-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48366
Comments: 0

eoym is offline IP: 24.118.115.222

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

As far as exposure and composition, it looks just fine. But for me, it seems to lack impact or "oomph".

I think that's partly due to the "busyness" of the photo. Pretty much everything is in focus and there's vertical and horizontal lines running all through it. Even her dress is "busy".
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eoym Visit eoym's homepage! Find More Posts by eoym

Old 07-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.215.31

Yeah it is a pretty busy scene. When I opened the shutter up, I had to close down the aperture, which brought more things in focus. I had an ND filter (0.6) with me which I used most of the time with the color film, and if I had used it here it woulda brought my f-stop to, um, whatever's in between 5.6 and 8. That woulda thrown more things out of focus, but I didn't want her to stand out too far from the surroundings, either. The idea was to have her be more a part of the environment, which I guess I did a little too well?? lol Just more stuff to work on in my quest for photo perfection.

Thanks Dean!

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 07-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.87.6

Good to hear you got another editorial , Congrats.

Bummer about the wind ( lack of ) problem

Have you looked at this image as a square or vertical format , I think the left side is a little busy. Unless it has something to do with what you were trying for .

I don't get what you meant by passage of time though
something with motion for passing time OR past to present passage of time ?

Since I don't do editorial stuff , I have no image to post for a comparison. So that means I really don't know what I am talking about
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Old 07-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Quote:
Good to hear you got another editorial , Congrats.
Thanks dude! It's not for sure yet if it'll get printed or not, but I'm always hopeful.

Quote:
Bummer about the wind ( lack of ) problem
Yeah, the wind thing sucked.

This one was shot horizontal to serve as a two-pager. Compositionally I think the shots I got with the trolleys going by work a little better. The trees in the far background are covered up, and they made a nice blur as they went by, too.

Quote:
I don't get what you meant by passage of time though
something with motion for passing time OR past to present passage of time ?
Yes you do, 'cause you're basically right on both counts. I wanted motion blur of some kind -- which would indicate the passage of time -- in each shot, either from the clothes in the non-existant wind or from things in the background moving (the water jets, the trolleys going by, people walking by, etc.). BUT, as we assembled the wardrobe, the clothes we got had both "classic" looks and "modern" looks (at least to me), which shows an element of time (past and present) that way as well. That second time element wasn't planned initially, but once I saw it develop afterwards (and when I saw the "motion" part didn't come together as well), it's something I'm playing up in my sales pitch . We even got this one vintage flapper dress from a resale store in town to do some shots with, which was completely awesome.

Quote:
Since I don't do editorial stuff , I have no image to post for a comparison. So that means I really don't know what I am talking about
WHAT?!? NO RULE 10 IMAGE??? (Just kidding ) Man I'm just learning this as I go. Workshopping with Christian really opened me up to new ways of thinking when it comes to all this, and I'm tryin' my best to explore it all as much as I can (even if I don't get it all right initially ). And if I can somehow pull off a few tear sheets along the way, so much the better! Hehe

Thanks dude!

Sam
Last edited by SamBeasley; 07-07-2006 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35616

trainstation is offline IP: 69.130.52.244

I guess it is just the plumber in me, but what about moving the model closer to the fountains. Experiment with different shutter speeds to give the falling waters different motions. Make concessions for the lack of wind with model posture. My very unexpert suggestions.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trainstation Find More Posts by trainstation

Old 07-07-2006, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainstation
I guess it is just the plumber in me, but what about moving the model closer to the fountains. Experiment with different shutter speeds to give the falling waters different motions. Make concessions for the lack of wind with model posture. My very unexpert suggestions.
I wish I had thought of those things before. I'm tellin' you, I was so tired here that I didn't think past the storyboards I had drawn out several days before...

It's a cool location though, and I'd like to use it again one of these days. Next time when I can just experiment I'd like to try out your suggestions.

Thank you!

Sam

Old 07-08-2006, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35616

trainstation is offline IP: 69.130.52.244

It is a great undertaking with limited resources to produce an image to present to a potential client when the client has been use to seeing images produced by photographers with numerous assistants, Stylist, MUAs and great post camera facilities. I know about the tired part have been there and done that. My last shoot was at a waterfall in a national park about a mile hike up a big hill and by the river. I am so overweight and out of shape that I could hardly hold the camera when I got ready to shoot. But on the other hand take a look back at the origin of photography, the early photographers had a unique product because it was new and everthing recorded on film was new to the viewer. In our got to have the latest gadget more GB Card filled profession we live in these days we would profit from the old masters and produce unique and new to the world images. Everyone would like to produce images like the "pros" but it would be in all our best interest to have one book that showed that we could shoot like the other "pros", but another that would demostrate our own personal imagination. In other words Mr. Sam don't get depressed, we are all paddling the same river just in different boats.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trainstation Find More Posts by trainstation

Old 07-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.87.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBeasley
... I think the shots I got with the trolleys going by work a little better....

So that is what those wires at the top are for , I thought they looked strange for power lines. ( I was going to ask why they weren't cloned out ) or would you dodge and burn them in the basement

I don't know what it is , but I am drawn to the diminishing pots(?) behind the model
( something to look at for the next time , maybe not as exciting as water , could just be me )
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Old 07-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 70.156.58.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTom
So that is what those wires at the top are for , I thought they looked strange for power lines. ( I was going to ask why they weren't cloned out ) or would you dodge and burn them in the basement
I'm never gonna live that down!

Quote:
I don't know what it is , but I am drawn to the diminishing pots(?) behind the model
( something to look at for the next time , maybe not as exciting as water , could just be me )
I did actually use the pots to a greater degree in another set of shots. I liked 'em, too.
Last edited by SamBeasley; 07-08-2006 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: I'm a retard