Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Izabella - truly very beatiful - did I do her justice
Old 03-04-2006, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43289
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to ProShotPhoto

ProShotPhoto is offline IP: 24.84.205.83

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Looking for construcive critique.

View Public Profile Send a private message to ProShotPhoto Visit ProShotPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by ProShotPhoto

Re: Izabella - truly very beatiful - did I do her justice
Old 03-04-2006, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49780

nvdamodel is offline IP: 71.126.125.145

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Great shots but bad hair [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nvdamodel Find More Posts by nvdamodel

Old 03-04-2006, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

I'll address each image in a moment, but they all have way too much contrast. There's no detail in the blacks or whites. Overall, I'd say you need to get your lighting under control. An excellent way to reduce contrast is by using reflectors to redirect light into the shadow areas and open (lighten) them up. I'm guessing the lighting here is a combination of natural light and on-camera flash. Use reflectors to bounce some of that natural light back onto your subject.

Image 1

The composition doesn't flatter her. All I really see here is hair and a face. From images #2 & #3 it's obvious that she's thin with a small waist and nice hips. I see none of that in image #1. The pose doesn't due justice to her figure. Also, you've cut off her right hand. You shouldn't normally crop an appendage at a joint, as you have here with her wrist. Also, this image looks a little soft in the face. I don't know what the original looks like, but you may want to apply a little un-sharp mask in Photoshop after you resize your image for display.

Image 2

The best image of the bunch, and easily your best composition. This photograph almost looks like it was made by a different photographer. Good facial expression and good use of depth-of-field. The one thing that bothers me about it is the configuration of her right arm and hand. It looks uncomfortable and a little un-natural. Try to avoid presenting the flat of the hand (either the front or the back) to the camera, as it makes the hand look too large. Try to position women's hands so that you catch the edge, or at least some of the edge.

Image 3

Composition, pose, and lighting are weak here. She's dead-center in the frame. My eye has no incentive to explore the frame. It appears that she's missing her right arm. Her left arm, especially her upper arm, looks too big because it's presented square to the camera. Bring her elbows back towards her body to help eliminate this condition. In general, she's too square to the camera. This young lady has wonderful curves - turn her and make those curves flow through the frame. You've also clipped her fingers again.

The shadows are all over the place here. It looks like you have primary light sources coming from image left (rear), image right (front), and directly in front. I hate to say this, but lighting-wise this is a mess; it doesn't flatter her or her garment. I think your contrast issues are particularly noticible in this image. The color balance also looks off to me in this image, she looks a little green.

Executive summary: Image #2 is nice but has contrast and minor composition issues. Images #1 and #3 need to go back to the drawing board. I hope I didn't come across as mean. Harsh maybe, but not mean.

-Chip "Simon Cowell" Bulgin

View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 03-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40979

dmann is offline IP: 68.185.40.34

Chip,

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback, but especially for the suggestion on how to correct it. It seems too often it is easy to see the mistake/flaw but then correcting it is the hard part.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dmann Find More Posts by dmann

Old 03-04-2006, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
aMi_B

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 69.92.52.37

I agree that the hair is pretty bad, but I also couldn't help but notice the lack of composition. You don't show enough background to explain why she is looking the way she does or wearing what she is, and the shots are close enough to be considered headshots. Those poses looks quite awkward as well, and in the first photo her smile is forced while in the last there's a strand of hair casting a distracting shadow over her cheek and lips.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
aMi_B

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 69.92.52.37

[ QUOTE ]
the shots are close enough to be considered headshots

[/ QUOTE ]--typo. I meant to say that the shots are not close enough to be headshots.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.103.198

I don't care for the blown highlights...

I don't know if still shooters use this stuff or not but you can buy ND gel in rolls (as well as color correction gels). I use it to gel windows all the time, either to reduce the amount of light coming in (as I would do here) or to balance the color temp when working with tungsten lights (not something you have to worry about if shooting with strobes, but in motion film/video we don't get to use strobes.

So I would gel the windows and try to get the whole scene within 5 stops, that is if you want to shoot using natural light. I might blow highlights on purpose, but I'd more than likely do that in post since I have more options then, but once the information is gone (as it not captured) it's gone forever...

You an get the stuff here: www.filmtools.com

Matt

EDIT: Another common fix is to tent the window and then use your own controllable light source, but you probably don't want to do that...

EDIT #2: Ok, so I'm dense, hey I'm used to video not still photography - yet. You could also just hit her with enough light to balance out the daylight coming in... DOH!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry