Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Getting excellent results shooting backwards
Old 01-14-2006, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.204.220

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

After a few years of shooting against my seamless background papers, I got tired of the look, so ... I just turned my back to my white seamless paper and shot in the other direction (towards where I keep all my furniture when converting my house into a studio). After seeing the results, I may scrap all my seamless paper (except the white paper which makes a nice large reflector)

Model is DFW fashion designer Karen Allan.
Nikon D100
Nikkor 70-200 f2.8
Alien Bee and Norman lights
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Re: Getting excellent results shooting backwards
Old 01-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43289
Send a message via MSN to ProShotPhoto

ProShotPhoto is offline IP: 154.20.79.73

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I actaually started shooting with REAL backgrounds - but have moved to a smaller and less attractive environment (new photographers income) and the flat lifelss seamless back grounds have become the norm for me for now. But I completely agree that used properly as in this photo real backdrops are far more pleasant until every model appears to be in the same sitution over and over again LOL.

Need to do lots of regular redecorating to pull this off for a long itme unless the home is huge and rather grandious or you shoot infrequently.

View Public Profile Send a private message to ProShotPhoto Visit ProShotPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by ProShotPhoto

Old 01-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 65.138.32.102

Personally I like the real backgrounds. They tend to look like what you would see in some of the top magazines. Combine that with the shorter depth of field and you've created some interest in the whole picture. Not just a person with colored paper. Nice work.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 01-14-2006, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37039
Send a message via AIM to cdnmoosey Send a message via MSN to cdnmoosey Send a message via Yahoo to cdnmoosey

cdnmoosey is offline IP: 69.140.89.179

[ QUOTE ]
But I completely agree that used properly as in this photo real backdrops are far more pleasant until every model appears to be in the same sitution over and over again LOL.

Need to do lots of regular redecorating to pull this off for a long itme unless the home is huge and rather grandious or you shoot infrequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very real issue in my life right now. I live in an apartment, I have a wife and child and we are crammed in here as it is. So I can't practically use my place for shooting. I also don't really care for the blank paper background (although it would be nice to have the option sometimes). What I really like are upscale homes with cool furniture and architecture.

HOW DOES ONE GET PERMISSION TO SHOOT AT THESE PLACES? How do you find places to even ask permission to shoot in? I can't imagine just walking along a street and seeing a cool house and saying to myself "that house looks like it would be cool to shoot in - I'll ask!"

So I end up shooting outside a lot.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cdnmoosey Visit cdnmoosey's homepage! Find More Posts by cdnmoosey

Old 01-14-2006, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 208.63.187.245

[ QUOTE ]
HOW DOES ONE GET PERMISSION TO SHOOT AT THESE PLACES?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was asking myself this same question a few weeks ago. I thought about just knocking on their door, but decided against it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I did find people who knew people, and other people who knew more people, and, well, to make a long story short, it all amounted to nothing 'cause nobody wanted me shooting lingerie in their homes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The only other thing I can think to say is make friends with a housekeeper. Ours knew the most people for me to ask who had nice homes (even though they ended up saying no [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

Good luck on your hunt, and if you find a system to get access to posh places (besides breaking and entering [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), please let me know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 01-14-2006, 11:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 208.63.187.245

Wow Marty, very nice!

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 01-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068

StuHaluski is offline IP: 71.56.66.117

Sweet shot Marty, cant wait to see more like it when you shoot backwards.

The setup and lighting reminds me of Ken Marcus.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski

Old 01-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Heck I would start shooting sideways.... Once you graduate from standing on your head and shooting backwards and all around, you will have mastered it all..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Great shot and it's nice when you try something and you like it. It becomes your own.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 01-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.204.220

Thanks JT ... sage advice. When I can shoot sideways and remove the pebbles from my sensor I will truly become a master like you!

Here's another from the shoot. I set the lens at 24mm, held the camera in one hand high over her head and just started shooting. Desaturated and added blue tint in PS.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 01-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Dude,

You're in a zone......KEEP IT UP!

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith