Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Kelly
Old 12-09-2005, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 72.23.103.86

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

What do you think ?
2 monolights with those grid things in both ( someone elses lights )
What is you opinion on the color difference ?
How do you guys deal with it ?
Do most of you guys set up those actions , OR treat each image as they come up ??
When Editing most images I just hit the "auto levels" and move the "curves" a little-- sometimes that makes it worse , then I play with other setting
I don't know a good way to "match" all the photos , I do each one individually , just don't notice unless side by side comparison , the subtle color shifts are beyond my eyes [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Kelly

View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Re: Kelly
Old 12-09-2005, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45232

Driftwood is offline IP: 80.42.226.254

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi Stan,

Nice images.

I have exactly the same problem as you in identifying colour casts and thought I would share with you a few of the tools that I like in Photoshop.
I don't have any clever way of matching images to each other but I usually use one or more of the following tools to get something I like (it doesn't have to be totally accurate as long as I like it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

Method 1 was suggested to me by a tutor on a Photoshop course as a method for removing an overall colour cast from an image and getting a neutral result, but I have to say that I have tried it with limited success.
The method is to open a levels adjustment layer, but rather than adjusting levels in the RGB channel you adjust each channel individually. The theory seems to be that if you adjust the sliders to the ends of each individual channels histogram then the overall result should be balanced. I can see that this should work for the shadows and highlights, but I am not sure it sorts out the midtones.
Anyway, you may want to try it for yourself.

The second method which I occasionally find useful is to use the "Select Graypoint" eyedropper tool in the levels dialog to select an area of the image that I want to set to neutral grey. I find this works well for me, but of course it only works in an image that has an area of neutral grey in it.

The third method is my favourite for adjusting the image to get a tone that I like. I use the "Image>Adjustments>Variations" menu. This gves a ringaround of thumbnails showing the effect of various colour adjustments for comparison. I find this very helpful in identifying the nature of any existing colour casts.
I usually create a copy layer first and then make my adjustments on that layer. Then I can adjust the opacity of the layer to make fine adjustments to the colour changes.

These are my preferred options at the moment. I look forward to hearing from anyone else who can offer other suggestions. I have struggled with adjusting colour balance since the first time I ever produced a Cibachrome print from the darkroom.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Driftwood Find More Posts by Driftwood

Old 12-09-2005, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 48213

Marty_McBride is offline IP: 64.12.116.203

Hi Stan...Your pictures look great. Getting your images color balanced is really simple. The easiest way is to do as many of the adjustments in your raw conversion software as possible, because it keeps track of all your settings, which could be applied to all your pictures shot in the identical situation. In photoshop (I only have 7) you need to keep track of the settings on paper. Don't start with auto anything, it won't give you consistent results from image to image...Go straight to levels, curves, channel mixer, ect. As for your two images posted, the bottom one is warmer...go to levels, select blue, and on your histogram drag the far right triangle to the left to about 245 or so on your input levels. Good luck.............Marty.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Marty_McBride Find More Posts by Marty_McBride

Old 12-09-2005, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 48577
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to brianforbidden

brianforbidden is offline IP: 66.159.182.142

Hi Stan, Your pics look great. To make white balance a bit easier, I use a color checker (i.e. http://web.ivenue.com/simondsphotogr...m471876.ctlg). I set the custom white balance to it in the camera and then it provides me with a base to start from when I get the image into Photoshop. I learned this technique from Kevin Ames' great book Art of Photographing Women. It works better than what I did before - trying to adjust WB and colorcast to skin tones. Brian
  View Public Profile Send a private message to brianforbidden Visit brianforbidden's homepage! Find More Posts by brianforbidden

Old 12-09-2005, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Thanks for the suggestions , I will have to try them on a few next time

I usually don't worry when I am doing my own stuff , but when I sent stuff out to the model ( not that I do that to often ) it would be better to have a more consistant color

I don't remember changing anything on the camera when I took those 2 pics , but maybe the lights did not recharge enough
( first blame the equipment ) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Old 12-09-2005, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

I usually pop open photoshop and stick to the basics-- rotate, crop, clone, unsharp mask etc...

I was happy to do about the same thing to every photo

BUT , it was a GWC workshop setting (so jpegs were fine), everyones flash set of the strobes, and fairly fast pace , so a lot came out dark, auto levels worked on some but not all

I will say that I opened a few in nikon editor(raw) , I definitely know I could have gotten better color from that program , but it was faster using photoshop to run through all the images

Thanks for taking the time to write
Stan

Old 12-09-2005, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Thanks for the help Brian

I have that book too, I just never got around to reading it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Think I am still on the first chapter ( just so much to sink in )

I was like- I'm not going to do any photoshop until I read this book and get good , BUT then I shoot some models and they want their images .
Can't keep them waiting til I master photoshop.
Just never seems to be enough time anymore

Old 12-09-2005, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Nice work Stan....I especially love the way her left hand only has three fingers!!! I see you've been watching my work!!!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

seriously though lovely model...good work sir!!

Don.

I meant to do that
Old 12-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

OH yeah , well you forgot to mention her right hand was missing a thumb [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2005, 10:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

The images scream I need a rim light. You can get away with spot lighting or differences in tonality by adding rim light.

Take a look at the first one.....if you added a rim light to her back leg, it would not have mattered because the eye would have been fooled.

The second one you have the light more concentrated on her legs. It's important to meter the whole subject to find light fall off, etc.

I like to set my "actions" from the start.....That's how I would deal with it.

J T

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith