Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
New multi post for critiques (playing with filters and some low key)
Old 11-28-2005, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44922
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to Frozty

Frozty is offline IP: 148.241.82.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hope you like them, all comments as always welcome

Thank you all!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Frozty Find More Posts by Frozty

A brutal critique
Old 11-29-2005, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am not going to give you any pats on the back or say I like them. In fact I am going to be down right nasty in hope that you are serious about your photography and want to improve from these. Absolutely do not stop experimenting and playing with techniques. This is all the more reason to do so and keep at it.

I used a star filter once and I got pulled into my professor's office and was verbally beaten up. One thing stuck in my mind was, "Throw the damn star filter away"! d- in big bold red sharpie pen, accross my first semester's portfolio.

With that said.

1. Learn to control your exposure. You have some artistic lighting but you didn't expose for the highlights. Things are blown out. Pose is not bad but scrunched up neck and locked shoulder is not pleasing.

2. Again, learn to control your exposure. Arm is floating in the burned out highlight. Her left eye is deep in shadow. The rembrandt triangle highlight is distracting in it's placement. It makes that whole side of her face, uhm, icky.

3. This goes down to "What were you thinking"? The image is underexposed. Although it seems you controled the highlight exposure, the over all scene is under and dark. Yes I know you were playing with low key effect but it's not a look or pose for dark and moody. Not sure if you were trying to accent the abs or what but to me the dappling light serves no purpose other then being distracting.

I am not being an expert arrogant ass with my reply here. But it's my observation, and for what reason I chose to pounce on you this morning, only seeing your work in the future will tell me.

J T

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Re: A brutal critique
Old 11-29-2005, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36687

Sean_Michaels is offline IP: 69.157.109.238

Great critique JT. I even learned a bit. Thanks for sharing your expertise.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Michaels Find More Posts by Sean_Michaels

Old 11-29-2005, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks a lot!!! Now we are talking about some serious viewing of my images.

I am not happy with these three images at all but i decided to play a little bit with them so I can see a different result. I have already noticed the mistakes done with these images but still decided to give them a try.

I really appreciate your input because it is the best way I have to know how well or how bad I'm doing. First image was just a little play with some filters, I know the metering of the light and the pose are all screwed because it was basically a test shot. I'm reviewing my photos folder and I'm starting to play with them because it's a good way to experiment without the pressure of time and because i definitely dont like to touch better images.

Number two was taken with just one light (one light bulb in fact) and I was really inspired with your "accident" with the coffe so I decided to give blue a try.

And as for number three, well I have no idea what I was trying to do but still decided to review it and give it a shot.

I'll be posting more mistakes so I can learn from them.

I'll take all the beatings I can take because, after all whatever doesnt kills you... makes you stronger.

One more thing....

Coming from you its a real honor to be beaten up hehehehehe

THANK YOU!!!!!

PS Im in no way masochist but it was really great that you took your time to review my work.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

First of all thank you for not getting upset with my opinions. I stopped for a little while coming to the critique forum because I was getting accussed of being arrogant when in fact anyone that knows me knows that I love talking shop and the passion of photography is my number one reason I do what I do.

I still learn everyday but photography is like rungs on a ladder. It's why we use a slogan "Taking it to the Next Level".

Next time you shoot, slow down and try and create one image vs spray and pray. Not saying you are doing that but focus in on creating one look, one image, and spend more time setting up the shot vs just shooting. I know it's fun to shoot and can be work setting up a shot but the end results are much more rewarding then the quick high you get from the action of shooting a pretty girl. That high is quickly shot down by being disappointed at the end result.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 11-29-2005, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

As an illiterate photographer (I don't have a serious educational background) I feel that I must look towards a good way of learning either by my mistakes or by imitating others work.

If I had sensed any kind of arrogance or bad attitude in your words I could have let you know in a straightforward way that I didn't liked what you said.

Sometimes friends are harder with they words because there is no real interest in keeping you in your mistakes.

If everybody with more knowledge (as you and some other folks around here) really took their time to write such an extensive review of the images posted and wrote what went wrong (as you) I bet that everybody would benefit from the knowledge and If everybody had the right amount of humbleness to accept others opinions (if they don't like the beatings they can stop posting) the benefit could really be greater for all of us.

Thank you again.

Re: New multi post for critiques (playing with filters and some low key)
Old 11-29-2005, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Now this is what a forum is all about!!!! Thanks to both of you for bringing some learning back to GG!!!!!!!!

In my first days on GG...I always thought JT gave honest, precise and no confusing critiques..still do think that..and both of you are welcome to critique my stuff anytime!!!

Its just great to see it back on GG!!! Thanks Guys!!!

Don.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Welcome to the thread Don!

Well actually its more of being capable of listening to others what makes a big difference in the output.

I'm really glad these images helped others (as much as myself) as a learning tool.

Keep em coming!!!

Old 11-29-2005, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35846

asbery645 is offline IP: 67.160.5.132

Glad to see it wasn't all patty cakes you're great. Good crit. good response. Now we're talking SHOP!!! That's how we all get better! That's why we're here right?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to asbery645 Visit asbery645's homepage! Find More Posts by asbery645