Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Selfportrait
Old 10-26-2005, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46893
Comments: 0

PaulPardue is offline IP: 24.23.11.203

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

So, when you got no one else to shoot... okay, so really, what are your thoughts on lighting, pose, et cetera? Keep in mind that it's me you're talking about here, so I don't want hurt feelings... Just kidding.

I know the focus is ever so slightly of, it's hard to preset focus on yourself from behind the camera, and even harder to do it when your 5 feet in front of it.

View Public Profile Send a private message to PaulPardue Visit PaulPardue's homepage! Find More Posts by PaulPardue

Re: Selfportrait
Old 10-27-2005, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46572
My Mood:

kjtw is offline IP: 65.116.105.130

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I can totally understand where you are coming from on the "if no one else, shoot self" theory. Been there a few times!

RE: Lighting

The right side of your face (the left side of your face) looks to be a bit dark, although, sometimes that can be what you are looking for. The hair light on top of your head is a bit hot, loosing the detail in your hair. I would reposition it a bit lower and maybe decrease the power a bit.

Overall, I think that it is a good attempt at self portrait. I rarely have them turn out, then again, I consider myself a photographer simply so that I can remain BEHIND the camera...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kjtw Visit kjtw's homepage! Find More Posts by kjtw

Old 10-27-2005, 12:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46893

PaulPardue is offline IP: 24.23.11.203

I agree with being a photographer to be behind the camera, but when there is no one to be in front of the camera then what is the point of being behind it?

The right side of my face (I assume you mean the camera's view and my left biological side) is a bit dark? Okay. Fair enough. One light on my right, and the hair light was all I was working with, but no excuses right? Okay, so maybe a bouncer or something next time then. And definitely invest in a meter rather then use the camera's preview (boy do I love digital cameras) for exposure checks...

Maybe one day I can get some models in my studio so I can take their pictures rather then mine, else what's the point? Working on that, but not knowing enough people willing (or in my mind 'capable') of modeling really makes it hard to be a photographer. Anyways, playing with lighting is something I don't want done when I have a models time to worry about...

Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PaulPardue Visit PaulPardue's homepage! Find More Posts by PaulPardue

Old 10-27-2005, 02:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46572
My Mood:

kjtw is offline IP: 65.116.105.130

I use a reflector on the opposite side from the main light to bounce the light. I have the disks but I also have home made reflectors. I have a piece of foam board (got it at the local office store) that is covered in aluminum foil (kinda crinkled up to soften the light) and I also have one of those cool car window shades that are silver to reflect out the sun. Both work just about as well as the disks.

I can't tell if you are using strobes or hot lights, but a light meter is a must if you are using strobes. Hot lights, you can get away with using the meter in the camera and an 18% gray card (available at almost any decent photo shop for between 2 and 5 bucks).

Don't get to discouraged on getting ahold of models. Start out practicing with friends. Let them know that you are working on your lighting techniques and would like their assistance. Then, go from there. Practicing on the lighting doesn't really need a model, but needs a person. If you are just trying to work on the lights, who cares what the person looks like. One of my assistants (friend who wants to hang around with me) is always good for just standing there and letting me try some things with the lights. I never save the photos I take, just play with them to see what the lighting looks like. Models are never a bad thing though. I give you credit on what you did though, it is very close to right, just a little adjustment that is hard to see on yourself without just guessing and shooting again if it isn't right. That is why my self portraits never turn out...out of focus, too hot on the hair, I am just ugly et cetera. Keep working on it!

This photo was done with hot lights. a softbox main light to the front right of the model (in this case Kat and from her point of view), a reflector to her front left (homemade foam board with tin foil), a couple of work lights on either side of her and behind her with cinefoil to direct the light.

This photo was done using strobes with much the same setup (but with Jenni Lee)except strobes and some difusion filters over the hair lights (one using a file folder to direct the light and the other using a honeycomb...honeycomb too hot). You can see in this one, however, the left side of her hair is a bit hot (metered it wrong).

Practice, it will come to you. I almost always did location shoots up until a few months ago because I didn't understand studio lighting all that much, but through the help of people in the know, I love shooting in the studio now. More than on location (less problems to contend with).

Good luck!

View Public Profile Send a private message to kjtw Visit kjtw's homepage! Find More Posts by kjtw