Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Photo and Art
Old 10-24-2005, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 65.138.33.49

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Worked with this image in photoshop for a while last night and came up with this version of a photo turned to art. Got comments?

Model is Casey.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Re: Photo and Art
Old 10-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45260
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to BGPhoto

BGPhoto is offline IP: 64.207.15.254

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The black outline is distracting, and I'm confused by the focal points. Her left cuff is in focus, but her finger and the fabric above it are out of focus even though they appear to be in the same plane. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BGPhoto Visit BGPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by BGPhoto

Old 10-24-2005, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35855

roninsps is offline IP: 64.52.66.17

Hi Jim:

I don'tlike it. It looks like she was cutout of another image and pasted onto the current background. At least it looks that way to me. The boost in contrast/overlay makes the whole image look like it stands out more from the background which in this case only exagerates the cut-n-paste job. The edges aren't even clean or wll blended. Not sure what your motivation was. What was it? I feel like I'm missing something here.

-S
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roninsps Visit roninsps's homepage! Find More Posts by roninsps

Old 10-24-2005, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 65.142.149.74

You must be looking at this as if it were a photograph with nothing done to it.
The picture was completely altered from being a photograph. What you are missing is that something such as art takes on a whole different purpose from what you shoot with a camera and then leave it as it is. This sort of thing would be going outside of the box from the normal picture.

This tear sheet example is also not a photograph but it was illustrated from one.

View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 10-24-2005, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

You've got a rather large art and natural history museum there in Pittsburgh. Go check it out once.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

You are still looking at this as though it were just a photograph. That's why the title has the word, "Art" on it. But it's ok if you don't like it because it's not a photograph inside the box.

Just like this one has some outlines on it and it is also considered art even though it was illustrated from a photograph.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

roninsps is offline IP: 69.115.229.127

WHOA! INSECURE! For one, We're based out of Philadelphia and NYC. We perform art reproduction and archiving for over 30 museaums around the world....Please.... Enough with the snippiness...

-Steven W. Choi
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roninsps Visit roninsps's homepage! Find More Posts by roninsps

Old 10-24-2005, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Dear Mr. Artforms...

You posted a picture. You asked for an opinion. I gave it. Perhaps I am missing something and even mentioned it. Now...

1. I fully understand that the attempt in which you had so endeavored was to think outside the box. GREAT! No complaints. I just don't get it and it seems I am not alone in my perception.

2. A monkey would be able to distinguish the vast difference between your oroginal post and this illustrated one. I think it looks cool and couldn't do it myself. If you did the illustration, it looks great! But please...post something comparable....

Perhaps, you could either continue to explain HOW you were trying to reach the audience, or even what your motivation was, philistines like myself wouldn't be at such a loss and maybe even say "OOOHHHH....I get it! COOL!"

OR

Stop being such a pansy when someone critiques your work that you posted.

I still do not understand your point nor do I see the artistic impression you were going for. Please be so kind as to explain. I'm sure we are all ears... I'm serious...

-Steven W. Choi

Old 10-24-2005, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Not insucure at all Mr Choi. Insecurity is common among many South Carolina people. I'm not from here. I've seen your portfolio and there isn't any indication of art or tear sheets there, just photography. I've been to many museums around the states.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

yes...I keep all of my work on my free GG account. I know our web site is just being built, but check out:

www.roninsps.com

I have one example up of the first Porsche Carerra 356 in the US that I attempted some artwork. It auction at the American Cancer Society for 25,000 USD. - It's the one with the reflection.

Trust me. I appreciate art and consider myself a student. Nothing more. I'm just hoping that guys like you could teach me a thing or two, OR even show me another way to look at something. Please understand that my post was not meant to be insulting and if it offended you, I'm sorry.

-Steven W. Choi