Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
My first post, what do you think?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46893
Comments: 0

PaulPardue is offline IP: 165.196.194.79

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

So, I just signed up for GG about a week ago, and just got some lights yesterday. This was my first photoshoot, thanks to my model and fellow class mate Jessica. These are the ones I liked the most, so tell me everything. Don't be nice cause I'm new, I'm here to learn all i can. Thanks.

View Public Profile Send a private message to PaulPardue Visit PaulPardue's homepage! Find More Posts by PaulPardue

Re: My first post, what do you think?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.116.146.246

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Paul,

Welcome to GG! Hope you find the forum to be all you want it to be.

First thing to know is that Deviant Arts doesn't allow hotlinking. Yeah, I know YOU can see the images that you posted in your message, but the rest of us can't without getting the URL from the properties and then pasting it into a browser so that we can look at that URL directly instead of having GG's host do it for us.

The cure is to do one of two things....

1. Upload the files you want to share to your GG portfolio. They'll be small since you're a free member, but they'll be visible in your portfolio and you can link to them from a message. Of course, you can upgrade your membership and be able to load larger, higher resolution images.

or

2. Find yourself a web hosting or picture hosting site. There are lots available... some cost a small amount per month (go check out PHOTOGSERVER.COM for one I can recommend - others will have other recommendations - for about $4.00/month you get a whole lotta space (basically unlimited) and a whole lotta bandwidth (again, basically unlimited) and some pretty good customer/tech service)... OR... you might already have some space with your ISP (can't tell who you're with since you posted a hotmail.com free account as your email address). For example, my ISP is charter.net (the cable folks) and I get a 20 megabyte web space automatically and at no extra charge. That space hosts my images since I don't use it for a personal web space. I host my commercial account on PHOTOGSERVER.COM since I can't do commercial on my charter account according to the TOS.

As far as your two images go... looks like you nailed the exposure on them.. got good dark blacks, details in her hair, and good whites with lotsa grey inbetween. What you might have done, though, was bounce more of the light off the wall so as to provide a bit more fill on her... I find it works best, unless you're going for the dramatic, to keep the fill within a stop or so of the main.

A little reflector or even a piece of foam core would kick a little bit of light back in as well.

Of course, if you're going for the dramatic....

Again, Paul... welcome to GG!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 10-13-2005, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42373
Send a message via Yahoo to jackell

jackell is offline IP: 65.15.168.67

It was way too early when I looked at this.
'Cause it took me like five minutes to figure out what the heck that was a picture of....
Cool shot, I'm just really slow on the uptake on thursdays.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jackell Visit jackell's homepage! Find More Posts by jackell

Old 10-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

PaulPardue is offline IP: 165.196.222.152

okay, so sorry about the lack of links, still new to this. Let's try again...

Perhaps that works better
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PaulPardue Visit PaulPardue's homepage! Find More Posts by PaulPardue

Old 10-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
glamourpics

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 69.19.14.26

1. Very good exposure... even background, and the face diffused highlight is probably where you aimed.
2. Light is MUCH too harsh and MUCH too high. Look how sharp and black the shadows are, and how the nose shadow goes well down across the lip.
3. MUCH softer and more frontal light would make her skin more smooth. Simple makeup- even just base and powder if nothing else - would also do wonders for her skin.
4. I would aim for a skin tone about a stop or even more lighter than you have.

Those are the obvious things I noticed.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

PaulPardue is offline IP: 165.196.222.152

1. Very good exposure... even background, and the face diffused highlight is probably where you aimed.
2. Light is MUCH too harsh and MUCH too high. Look how sharp and black the shadows are, and how the nose shadow goes well down across the lip.
3. MUCH softer and more frontal light would make her skin more smooth. Simple makeup- even just base and powder if nothing else - would also do wonders for her skin.
4. I would aim for a skin tone about a stop or even more lighter than you have.

Are we talking about the first one or the second? In either case, I guess it's the same lighting, just different posing. So, maybe back out the strobe a bit next time so it spreads a bit more? And also maybe move it closer to the camera (in comparison to her mid point)? There was no make up at all here, just kind of playing around with lights. We have both agreed to get together again and do something far more formal. At that time I will take your ideas into consideration.

Thank you