Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Please critique and please do NOT be gentle.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723
Comments: 0

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello Everyone,

I am posting an image here to be critiqued, but what I am really wanting to find out is what I am missing. My images just do not have the "pop" or the "wow" factor that I eventually want.

Over the past 4 years I have worked with about seven models and have had about 9 total shoots. This image was from my most recent shoot. I feel like I am missing something somewhere, but I just don't know what it is.

Shoot I hire a stylist when I go to do a shoot? A make-up artist?

The model I shot these with loves them and is very excited to come back in and shoot again.

If anyone can see from my work if there is some particular element I am missing I would really appreciate you shairng it with me.

Please don't be afraid of hurting my feelings. If I was afraid of that I would pay someone to look at them and say nice things [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65

Re: Please critique and please do NOT be gentle.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36639
Send a message via Skype™ to BarryTreleaven

BarryTreleaven is offline IP: 202.6.138.43

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The only thing that would give the above image a (kick ) is a reflector to the right hand side as a fill more or less,the shot looks good to me but I am no JIMMYD.
will not be able to read further on this post 3.41 am over here leave in 1hr for holidays ( a cruise to Vanuatu)
regards
Barry Treleaven
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]www.southlandimages.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BarryTreleaven Visit BarryTreleaven's homepage! Find More Posts by BarryTreleaven

Old 09-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Good Lord Daryl.....it would be easier if you would post a crappy image and ask this question....only thing I might suggest is maybe a rimlight along her leg and hip area,,I read something about polishing a turd once....but how much can you polish a gold bar???....
I agree with your model..awesome shot!!! sorry Im not much help..

Don.

Old 09-28-2005, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37651

rdavis is offline IP: 69.15.164.92

One thing that popped out at me was the arm/breast intersection. Her right arm is pressing down on her breast, which makes both them look strange. The arm gets flattened and widened and the breast looks pushed down. Arm on the other side is squeezed against the body to. As a general rule you want to keep a model's arms from pressing against her body.

The hair across her faces seems a little much to me. Eyes are a little indistinct.

I like the colors, especially the background. I like the curve of her hip. Hope that helps.

View Public Profile Send a private message to rdavis Visit rdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by rdavis

I\'ll leave the lighting problems. . .
Old 09-28-2005, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

to others.
Pose is awkward and strained. Weight on left arm develops unsightly tricep bulge. Face looks like she's in pain.
Composition: Difficult to say. I'd have extended the left arm to her left to offering a better line to the face and lessen some of the bulge mentioned before. The crossing of the right arm blocks the natural lead in lines to the face. Relaxing the right shoulder and either extending the arm along the top of the body or touching the floor close to her body (but not deforming the breasts) from right to left would have alleviated the problem. The strain of the neck and facial expression needs work.

Tellin' it like it wuz. . . sorta.
E-Painting from my original Image
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Old 09-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45874

GKruts is offline IP: 68.69.142.192

I agree with Don, rim lighting would really pop her from the background. I'd also suggest a tad more light at the lower right, from her shoulder down to her elbow. Part of the problem in that area is the black dress fading into the black sheet. As for the pose, I prefer the model to have her head turned slightly away from the camera, and a slight drop in the chin.

Nonetheless, I think this is a very, very good image, and a very attractive model.

Cheers!
Glenn K.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to GKruts Visit GKruts's homepage! Find More Posts by GKruts

Old 09-28-2005, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40246

thomasfallon is offline IP: 65.91.15.44

You have flat light. Not much impact in that. The kicker light is a good suggestion. I'd increase the ratio. Also, moving your main closer would give more energy in the light.

View Public Profile Send a private message to thomasfallon Visit thomasfallon's homepage! Find More Posts by thomasfallon

Old 09-28-2005, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.116.146.246

Darryl,

Others have commented on the technical portions of the image you posted. But, you also asked:
[ QUOTE ]
Shoot I hire a stylist when I go to do a shoot? A make-up artist?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can find a MUA to work with, then definitely get them involved, whether it's a straight hire, a trade-out, or just a favor to a friend.

Models are just like anyone else... they like to believe they are competent in what they do, including makeup. But, when I've asked models to apply a different makeup face than their normal face, I've had less than great results.

I'll give you a good example since I'm sure she won't mind... Kaylee is a beautiful young lady that I've had the fortune to work with several times. She's competent in applying her own makeup that suits her vision of what makes her look good (a very understated look.. minimalist, I think you could call it.). Here's an example:

When I ask her to make modifications to her makeup (more blush... more contouring of the cheeks... less of this/more of that) she tries to achieve the look I've got in my head, but doesn't feel comfortable straying too far from what she is used to.

Last time we shot together, we had a MUA working with her to try some different ideas.. and this is an example of what we got:

which, I think it's safe to say, is a notch up from where we were with the first shot. Yes, the first shot shows a lovely young lady... but the second shot shows a much different and, I think, more sophisticated young lady.

The MUA was an active participant in the shoot.. and she was the one that come up with the flower. That extra pair of knowledgeable eye was definitely well used this shoot.

I don't ever want to shoot without a MUA again. That doesn't mean that I won't.. but I don't WANT to! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

So yes, invest the time, effort, and money (if required) to get a MUA or two involved with your images. I'll bet you won't be sorry.

Hope this helps you think it out a bit....

View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

well i\'ll be the class **** then
Old 09-28-2005, 09:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 68.54.144.163

i kinda agree with everything else everyone wrote, but I think there is one glaring thing wrong with the image that is making all of the other little stuff seem like a big deal.

This model, who is probably the sweetest, nicest, most charming lady in the world, is not giving you enough expression as a model. Her body, skin and hair look awesome, she must have the cutest look in person, but as yu have seen, not every pretty girl can look great on camera, and some very pretty ladies look horrible when captured on camera.

The model is not giving you her best stuff. Work with her if she is as excited as you say, and get some of the sexy excitement into your images. Get her to buy into it, because she is flat right now, with very little emotion.

Bottom line, with a great model, all the other technical crap doesn't even matter, and with a perfect image with a non-performing model, nothing will make it happen. So start with the basics and get the model on YOUR page before you worry about the technical stuff.

View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 09-29-2005, 06:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

Thanks Thomas. I will keep that in mind for the next shoot.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65