Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
need help with this!
Old 08-30-2005, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573
Comments: 1

FrankParis is offline IP: 70.153.38.74

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok ! I did what some people suggested to do, some I like others I don't.
I used a black scarf on these. I think the scarf was too tight of a mesh. The pictures look blurred more than soft. We had a cloudy sunset instead of a colorful sunset. What I did was set the shutter speed to the background and the aparature to match the flash. As the sun set the two measurements got closer together. I think that would have been correct anyway. Before I take Sarah out again, I want to do this right.
We both want her to get other photographes for her portfolio, but presently we are working on her posing.

View Public Profile Send a private message to FrankParis Find More Posts by FrankParis

Re: need help with this!
Old 08-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Still Learning

Member GG#: 36942
My Mood:

Bonner is offline IP: 69.230.190.108

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A have a few opinions for you. First of all, forget the scarf. Not good outside, not good in low light. Concentrate on the poses and lighting.

She is a nice looking lady and with practice, will find her style that works for her. I suggest she look at magazines and get a full lenght mirror and practice as much as she can. Both of you experiment with many sessions and look at every image on the monitor of your computer and see what is good or bad with each one.

As for you, use a tripod, take your time with the compositions, study the light before and after the shot, look at the area around your model, use the histogram, and focus on the eyes. Additionally, go for the unusual locations and poses, give her props to mix the shots, lots of clothing and hair changes and always look at her hand placement.

A good, bright image with lots of saturation works most of the time. That means lots of light from fill reflectors and, or flash. You seem to have lots of cloud cover on this session which cuts the light from the sky onto her face. Next time, I am sure you will get more "keepers".

By the way, there seems to be sensor dust on the upper left side of your verticle images.

Final note, the makeup on Erika looked strange in person but great on film. I cannot stress the importance of good makeup and a good MUA! The difference between a snapshot and a professional image is the use of good lighting, good contrast and saturation, the pose, makeup and interesting location. The work the photographer spends in post production pulls it all together.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Bonner Visit Bonner's homepage! Find More Posts by Bonner

Old 08-30-2005, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks!
Sarah and I look at the pictures I do after each shoot here on GG. I do that so she gets the correct feel of the net. Yes I have been plagued with cloudy days on my last three shoots.........
We had already decided to trash the scarf. I expected it to soften the look, but I didn't expect it to look that soft. It also threw the focus off completely on a lot of the pictures, scarf must have bound on the focus ring. We took those pictures down 30 minutes ago!
I was really shooting to get the color of the sky to come out. There just was not much color in the sky last night, but there was more color than what I got in the photo's.
We are pretty poor when it comes to extras. I have reflectors but no one to hold them, my flash is an Nikon 80 dx. We will eventually get a mua, but we want to get the posing down first.
I have 2 sets of old studio lights. One night when we get a chance I'll bring them to a shoot and hook them up with a 1000 watt inverter.
I think the scarf may have been too tight on the mesh, maybe another scarf? Under studio lights.
That sky thing I really want to master, but it is killing me.

Thanks for your input [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FrankParis Find More Posts by FrankParis

Old 08-30-2005, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 65.199.146.162

Do you remember what the shutter speed was when you shot these? They do appear to be blurred and not soft (as you intended). Will your camera take shots if they are not in focus? The camera could have a hard time focusing in low light and especially with the scarf on at the same time.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Yes, they were around 1/30 th to 1/50th. Yes it will take photos not properly focused. It happens a lot. I usually just trash those. Your most likely on something here. It got dark quick. Should I try the scarf again or try to find one with a bigger mesh?

Thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2005, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 65.199.146.162

1st thing I would do for sure is disable the ability for your camera to take photos if its not in focus if you are going to do this (use the scarf in low light). 2nd Try using it indoors with a strobe if at all possible. This way you can at least see the effect. Did you read the article Rolando wrote at http://www.garageglamour.com/tips/articles/scarf.php? Unless you are pretty good at handholding, 1/50 starts to get to the point that many people will shake enough to cause a blurry photo. So with all that information, I think you have a blurry and possibly out-of-focus set of shots.

If you are a little comfortable with photoshop, a similar effect is the diffused glow filter. Many people here use it to soften the skin on the models.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39548
Comments: 15

Olli is offline IP: 65.0.230.147

I use a black scarf in the studio to soften the strobe light. Outdoors I've had bad luck with it, if any sun gets on it, it lowers contrast dramatically.

I would suspect camera shake or focus in these shots, not the scarf.

Yet another thing to keep an eye on is the shadows.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Olli Visit Olli's homepage! Find More Posts by Olli

Old 08-30-2005, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

FrankParis is offline IP: 70.144.53.69

I use a Nikon D 100, can't find the manual, so I don't know if I can disable the fire on non focus, that would be nice if I could stop it if not focused.. I'll call Nikon.
I have read the article unless I missed it, I don't recall a description of the scarf. The one I used dropped me almost a full stop. There is an overall muddy look to the photo's (flat contrast) Photo shop almost didn't get the contrast to where it is now.
I set my curve points to 15/15 124/124 248/248 then work on the contrast.
Did you use a scarf on your photo?

Old 08-30-2005, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

FrankParis is offline IP: 70.144.53.69

Yes it killed the contrast. The flash made the shadows. And yes no more out doors with th scarf unless it's real sunny.
obtw
yes they did replenish the sand on the south end of Folly. The driftwood that sicks out of the sand now stands in a pool of seawater. yuck!

Old 08-30-2005, 11:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Still Learning

Member GG#: 36942
My Mood:

Bonner is offline IP: 69.230.190.108

Frank,

Looked at your portfolio and your image "Misty" is exactly what I had in mind. I like it. There is the prop of the wall(free) with the mystery of what or who is Misty. Then, your model is reacting in an interesting manner for the capture of her image.

Thrift stores are fantastic for cheap props as are garage sales. Buy large fans, colored scarves, hats and even interesting masks. Go for "theme" shoots as long as the location fits.

Always use a tripod outside if you want to "nail" the focus. Inside is another story as the lights are so fast they freeze everything.

Jim

Shot with a tripod since my lens was at 200mm (300mm in 35).

View Public Profile Send a private message to Bonner Visit Bonner's homepage! Find More Posts by Bonner