Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Models and Senior Portraits
Old 08-28-2005, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35623
Comments: 0

bscott3125 is offline IP: 70.247.252.109

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Worked with a local model (Blaine) this morning for her Senior Portraits. It was actually harder than I thought it would be not to make her look like such a model with the posing and such LOL

At any rate, we got this shot that to me yells "fashion"!!

Your thoughts and opinions!!

View Public Profile Send a private message to bscott3125 Visit bscott3125's homepage! Find More Posts by bscott3125

Re: Models and Senior Portraits
Old 08-28-2005, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Brent...Im guessing one young lady is Very Elated about her senior portaits!!

Wow!! nice work!

Don.

love the look
Old 08-29-2005, 01:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.210.3

I love this shot, except for a detail that I think you can fix if you want to. Her neck and face look unusually pale compared to the rest of her skin (basically, her arms). It can be a challenge to match the tones, but usually its the face alone that would be too light, if the MUA didn't do their job properly and blend the base on the face, to match the tones of the body. In this case, you might be able to burn it (chest & face) down a bit, but try not to let it go too red. I'd also like to see a more definite situation with her eye (the one we can see). I can't tell if its closed, or slightly open, and which you intended. I'd prefer to see her looking at the camera (even with only one eye, while the other is behind her hair), but I'd settle for her looking off-camera, or even closed eye. Other than that, I like it alot, but I wonder how this becomes a senior portrait? I mean, I don't do senior portraits, but if I recall, shouldn't she be in a studio or with a cap & gown or something? I seriously don't know - I've never shot a senior portrait in my life. I'm aware they've changed a bit since MY senior portrait (ours were painted [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), and if this what they use, its great, but go ahead and enlighten me.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 08-29-2005, 07:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

[ QUOTE ]
Brent...Im guessing one young lady is Very Elated about her senior portaits!!

Wow!! nice work!

Don.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, yes, they (her and her mom) were very excited with the results. Heck, I was too for that matter [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bscott3125 Visit bscott3125's homepage! Find More Posts by bscott3125

Re: love the look
Old 08-29-2005, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

[ QUOTE ]
I love this shot, except for a detail that I think you can fix if you want to. Her neck and face look unusually pale compared to the rest of her skin (basically, her arms). It can be a challenge to match the tones, but usually its the face alone that would be too light, if the MUA didn't do their job properly and blend the base on the face, to match the tones of the body. In this case, you might be able to burn it (chest & face) down a bit, but try not to let it go too red. I'd also like to see a more definite situation with her eye (the one we can see). I can't tell if its closed, or slightly open, and which you intended. I'd prefer to see her looking at the camera (even with only one eye, while the other is behind her hair), but I'd settle for her looking off-camera, or even closed eye. Other than that, I like it alot, but I wonder how this becomes a senior portrait? I mean, I don't do senior portraits, but if I recall, shouldn't she be in a studio or with a cap & gown or something? I seriously don't know - I've never shot a senior portrait in my life. I'm aware they've changed a bit since MY senior portrait (ours were painted [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), and if this what they use, its great, but go ahead and enlighten me.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply Andy. You certainly nailed it as far as what was bothering me about this image.

The skin tone difference is my own fault and I can fix it. Basically I dodged her face too much obviously to try and soften the shadows a bit. I need to go in an work with that some more I think and make it not so obvious!!

The eye situation I'm not sure how to fix [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] But I do see what you mean. Suggestions?

And no, you're partially correct. This is not your typicaly senior portrait and that was the difficulty honestly. She's used to "modeling" and I'm used to "shooting models" so we had to work hard not to come up with "model" looking shots if that makes sense. This shot will not be one they choose (her and her mom) for her portraits I'm sure.

But with that said I did try and step outside the box on a lot of the shots and add some "appeal" to them vs. doing the canned in the studio work. We shot completely outdoors in natural lighting. I figure if you can take a few young ladies that our more on the popular side of the crowd in school. Make them look like they belong on the cover of Seventeen, but still keep it somewhat traditional for Mom & Dad making everyone happy, then I might be able to make a name for myself locally for Senior Portraits!!

Anyways, thank you for the feedback. Very much appreciated.

Here are a few that are not so "modelish" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Great
Old 08-29-2005, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44937
Send a message via MSN to Joseph1

Joseph1 is offline IP: 200.87.154.249

Hey Brent,
YOUR picture is wonderful. Any senior would love it!!!!

I agree that it yells FASHION!!. And i read in a magazine last week about a senior photographer that shoots every senoir session as a fashion one. THat make the seniors love the whole session becasue they feel like stars.

Good work

Joseph Art
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Joseph1 Find More Posts by Joseph1

Old 08-30-2005, 07:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Brent,

Two fine examples of senior portrait 101. Good job on these last two!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 08-30-2005, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42503
Send a message via AIM to insanepinoy

insanepinoy is offline IP: 68.122.70.114

I think you nailed the senior portrait here. Great shots!

Question about the first image posted. Was the sky saturated in PS? It might be my monitor but I notice a slight halo over her. Its a damn good fashion shot though! I'm loving the colors too.

Randy

View Public Profile Send a private message to insanepinoy Visit insanepinoy's homepage! Find More Posts by insanepinoy

Old 08-30-2005, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40021

Patrick_M is offline IP: 12.190.77.159

Hi Brent, I've always enjoyed your images and these are no different. All of your images are very rich and saturated and I'm just curious as to what your typical workflow is. Do you usually shoot raw and if so what do you process them in?

Thanks,
Patrick

View Public Profile Send a private message to Patrick_M Find More Posts by Patrick_M

Old 08-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
JAM
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35499

JAM is offline IP: 68.202.50.19

Brent, I like the shots. Yes, they are fashion looking to me too. It is nice to deviate from the studio senior portraits as I did here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Your model is very pretty as well....is it me or does she look like a mix of Barbi Benton and Valerie Bertonelli (Van Halen)

View Public Profile Send a private message to JAM Visit JAM's homepage! Find More Posts by JAM