Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Jodi, a fashion attempt??...
Old 08-25-2005, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.195.242

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay, I've been working with this image for a while now, gotten some great feedback regarding it already, and I'd like to hear what you guys think...

ATTENTION FASHION GUYS -- if you have a moment, I'd especially like your thoughts on this one please...

First, the technical details: Contax 645, 80mm lens, f2.8 @ 1/4 on Kodak Portra 400NC film (rated at ISO 320)

Okay, here's a list of what's been found worth considering for next time, or improving on in post:

• Get more light into her face (as it happened, her raised leg ended up getting more light than the rest of her. We tried using a small vanity mirror aimed at her face to brighten it up, but to no avail, I think... I did brighten it a tad in post, though)

• More depth of field (her whole body should've been sharp here. You can see how her leg becomes slightly out of focus, and consequently, considering this was a fashion attempt, the shoes. As you can no doubt tell from the exposure details, light levels were low, and I probably should've popped a strobe or two here to bump up the ambient light.)

• Crop the windows in the background down some (which I already did -- is it enough though?)

• Remove the shadow on her shoulder, possibly the one near her eye

• Bump up the contrast a bit (which I did -- is it enough?)

• And the one thing above all others that bugs me the most -- I should've patted the corner of that bed spread down!! Grrrr.... That bed spread poking out the side of the image practically ruins the whole thing for me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] One of these days I keep telling myself I'll notice these details BEFORE I push that button. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

There were a few other very minor things, but none that were detrimental to the image.

Well, like I said, I'd love to hear what the fashionistas have to say about it (especially since the pose I pretty much stole from an ad in a fashion magazine! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). And of course, anyone else is welcome to comment too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks...

Sam

View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Jodi, a fashion attempt??...
Old 08-25-2005, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to hear what the fashionistas

[/ QUOTE ]

tisk tisk!!

Nice Image Sam....I havent ventured toward Fashion yet....but you seem to be getting a good start on it!

Don.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Thanks dude. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm sure tryin'! And as I recall there was one image in particular of yours that had a fashiony look to it, the one where DeAnn's sitting down, pulling up her stocking.

BTW, as far as I know "fashionistas" (my word for people who know fashion) isn't a word, I just like the way it sounds when I say it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I like to say it with a forced Spanish accent, just in case you were wondering. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 08-25-2005, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.82.238.27

I am by NO MEANS a "fashion photographer" but the point of any fashion shot is to try to sell a product. Assume this was an ad, a billboard or whatever else a fashion photo would be used for. What could be the item being sold in the shot? For the dress you cannot see the neckline or the straps. For the shoes, you cannot see the front so you cannot tell how the straps meet, if there are jewels on the straps on the left side, etc.

So as a fashion shot I don't think it will accomplish its goal. There should be a point of target.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
kelly

Member GG#: 35526
Comments: 0

kellyg is offline IP: 67.0.86.51

I know nothing about fashion, so take my opinion for what its worth. I agree with Hackman. Just missing a target.

On another note for glamour, beauty photography: I like the pose a lot, I like the model, it's a nice shot, but I think it could have worked a little better in a different background setting. I think you did well on the technical side of things with photography.

kellyg

View Public Profile Send a private message to kellyg Visit kellyg's homepage! Find More Posts by kellyg

Old 08-25-2005, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

[ QUOTE ]
So as a fashion shot I don't think it will accomplish its goal. There should be a point of target.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. The ad I modeled (er, Jodi modeled) the pose after was from an ad selling boots. The lighting was rather moody, the model's face was lit well, the rest of her body was darker, then her raised leg (with the boot in clear view) was light again.

The problem I'm having with my fashion attempts is that I'm still thinking in terms of glamour. I've found it very difficult to switch modes. Even though I think they're similar in a lot of ways, those differences are, well, what makes the difference. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thank you for the input!

Sam

Old 08-25-2005, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

[ QUOTE ]
I know nothing about fashion, so take my opinion for what its worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh don't worry Ms. Kelly, believe me I'll take ANY opinion from you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Here's what I wrote to Hackman about the image:

"I agree with you [regarding the image lacking a point of target]. The ad I modeled (er, Jodi modeled) the pose after was from an ad selling boots. The lighting was rather moody, the model's face was lit well, the rest of her body was darker, then her raised leg (with the boot in clear view) was light again.

The problem I'm having with my fashion attempts is that I'm still thinking in terms of glamour. I've found it very difficult to switch modes. Even though I think they're similar in a lot of ways, those differences are, well, what makes the difference. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]"

I do want to try this one again one of these days, and I'll hafta see if I can find a different setting. The setting was limited at the time 'cause we shot at her house, and we pretty much just had to use what was there... but... I know the general look I'd like to have for this image, it's just a matter of finding a well-to-do person who has the right home I'm thinking of and the right furniture I'm thinking of... I'll be doing another shoot next weekend involving just such a house -- on the outside. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Never been in... maybe one of these days they'll let me have a look around! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks again for the input KellyG! It's much appreciated. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sam

Old 08-25-2005, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
kelly

Member GG#: 35526

kellyg is offline IP: 67.0.86.51

BTW...JT and I were talking..and he likes the scene. It works for him, so I think its just a personal preference.

I like the idea of a 'mansion' style home...that would do it for me.

And you are very welcome on the feedback. Keep posting...and did you let her shoot you in the dress?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Its a pose I haven't seen you try yet...lol

kellyg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kellyg Visit kellyg's homepage! Find More Posts by kellyg

IANAFP
Old 08-25-2005, 11:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36812

j4m3z is offline IP: 24.231.185.48

I am not a fashion photographer, but it looks like you're selling the chair, at least in the sharpest focus. Her eyes look a bit soft, to me anyways.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to j4m3z Visit j4m3z's homepage! Find More Posts by j4m3z

Re: IANAFP
Old 08-26-2005, 12:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Yeah, someone else mentioned that too about the chair seeming to be sharper, so it's not just you... I have the hardest time manually focusing, especially with such a shallow depth of field. And every time I used autofocus on her, the camera did exactly what it was supposed to do and focus on the closest object in the focus area, which was her bangs. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] However, my own eyes haven't been very sharp these days anyway, so unfortunately I can't blame it on the camera. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks for the input man... I wanna come back to this one and redo it (as soon as I can get Jodi back, whenever that is [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) using all the suggestions everyone's given me so far. I'm goin' for perfection, but maybe my goals are a little too high. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sam