Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Jodi - 08/18/2005
Old 08-20-2005, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 208.63.180.147

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys, here's a shot from my shoot with my friend Jodi. She doesn't model per se, but she lets me shoot her time to time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My questions are, how do you feel about the crop, and how do you feel about the lighting (well, and anything else for that matter)? I'm not sure about either in this case... Just wanted to see what others thought too. I tried to pull off some subtle Mike-Hickey-esque composition, but I was probably WAY off. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It was shot with a D100, softbox main at the right, umbrella fill. I think the camera settings were f6.7 @ 1/125.

This was both of ours' first experience working with an MUA, and I must say, it was pretty cool! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Jodi especially was pretty stoked to have her makeup done. I think she liked the makeup part better than the modeling part. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, any advice on what would've been good to do would rock. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sam

P.S.: You may not recognize her, but I posted an image of her about a year or so ago...

I think her eyes really pop with the new do. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And HOPEFULLY my photographic ability has improved at least a LITTLE bit by then. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Jodi - 08/18/2005
Old 08-20-2005, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43289
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to ProShotPhoto

ProShotPhoto is offline IP: 64.180.180.71

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I like the shot with the exception of the hand in front. The composition is good and the lighting is nice but the hand placing hands and feet between the modeland thecamera results in unessisary enlargement. Good work - i like it

View Public Profile Send a private message to ProShotPhoto Visit ProShotPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by ProShotPhoto

Your missing one thing....
Old 08-20-2005, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37789

Allen_P is offline IP: 68.1.70.45

PLYWOOD!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Other than that, I'm not too crazy about the crop in the first one. Just doesn't work for me. Missing a right arm and then dead space by the left arm?

I like the second one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Best,

Allen

View Public Profile Send a private message to Allen_P Find More Posts by Allen_P

Old 08-20-2005, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Thanks for the comments Gus! I'll hafta keep an eye on the hand placement... I think I have one where her head was actually resting on her hand, instead of her hand out in front. Maybe that one would be better...

Thanks again!

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Your missing one thing....
Old 08-20-2005, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

LOL... Man I shoulda put the plywood in there -- then you wouldn't even have noticed the lopsided composition! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I like the second one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, I'm regressing! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] That second image, when I first posted it for critique, people either liked it or hated it, but at least no one was indifferent to it, which I think would be even worse. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Now I wanna see you pose one of your bikini models on a piece of plywood on the beach. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You never know, it might catch on. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Or not. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks for the comments Allen!

Sam

Old 08-20-2005, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Yep I'm replying to myself, but I forgot to mention in the original post (too late to edit) the MUA was Ashley Wood of Memphis, and she was completely awesome. I'll hopefully get to work with her again very soon. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2005, 02:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
asian_model

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 58.187.50.239

Good work!
I really like it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2005, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.235.17.70

I love here blue eyes! There is something really special about dark, dark hair coupled with blue eyes like that. She's very lovely. The left hand placement doesn't bother me at all in this shot. It's not so far foward, IMO, that it looks overly large when compared with her face. The left arm cropped like that makes her look like an amputee though.

The only other thing that I don't like, and it's just me, not you, is the material on that pillow. That color seems to clash with the shot. In fact, I think I might have lost the pillow and tried it without it or used a different prop. Again, just my opinion of the pillow material. It's just fugly. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I do hope you'll do some more shooting with her and share it with us.

Good day sir!

Mike

Here is my version of "amputee." This shot would have been much better had her hands not been blocked by the foot board on this bed. UGH. Amateurish mistake. And I hadn't noticed at first but the makeup artist made her face much whiter than the rest of her immaculately tanned body. Back to the drawing board.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 08-21-2005, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Thank you so much! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Yeah, about her cropped arm, I just wasn't sure what to do with it... I guess I should've brought it back into the frame somewhow, but I'm not sure how I should've done it, where it should've been placed, etc. And yeah, after looking at it a little more closely, a better looking pillow would've been nice too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Well hey dude, it's good to know I'm not the only one making mistakes here and there... The sad thing is there's plenty of careless mistakes I saw in most of the images I shot of her. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] The shoot was a bit rushed overall, and I don't do well with rushed... not yet anyway. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm not sure if I'll be posting others from this set or not, now that I see all the careless mistakes I made already! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But I'm sure I'll be shooting her again someday, it's just hard to shoot with her 'cause she's going back to school on the other side of the state, and when she does come back here, she spends most of the time with her boyfriend. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Maybe one of these days though! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the comments Mike! Much appreciated. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sam