Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Georgia Peach
Old 08-14-2005, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41014
Comments: 0

RoshGlamour is offline IP: 24.99.116.139

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Another set from my work with Lindsay Lee this week. She is a senior at the University of Georgia studying Journalism.

Critiques?

View Public Profile Send a private message to RoshGlamour Visit RoshGlamour's homepage! Find More Posts by RoshGlamour

Re: Georgia Peach
Old 08-14-2005, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38178

Ron_C is offline IP: 64.20.134.98

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey Greg,

Here is my Critique. If you like it is a good Photograph. If your customer likes it, it is a great photograph.

Half joking a side IMHO the Highlights of the pillars in #1, and the water in #3 are a little hot.

Other than that, Art is subjective and who cares what others think if it makes you proud and your customer happy.

Ron.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Ron_C Visit Ron_C's homepage! Find More Posts by Ron_C

Old 08-15-2005, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

1. Lose the watch - I think you need more punch of light to the model. More reflector perhaps. She might slightly be underexposed. Tough scene with the white columns. I like the idea that you scrimmed her with those colums but the model needs more punch. Take the loose hair back that is on her neck and flaring up on her shoulder. I think it would be better served with the slick back short hair look.

2. Eyes are way too far to one side....buggy eye syndrome

3. Not enough light on models face. Strong overhead light needs to be scrimmed and then either filled in with fill flash or reflector. Notice the shadowing on her face. Back is broke out and her right arm/elbow is distracting here.

Hope this helps a little.

J T

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 08-15-2005, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

JT- thanks for the comments. Very useful and I appreciate it.

Follow-up question- I have tried using reflectors but I seem to just succeed in nearly blinding the models. Any advice on setting them? (I really only have one for use right now - a 5-in-1 and a stand to hold it).

EDIT - oh, and I forgot that I had it reflecting on the model in #1 above. So I must be missing something to help add more light.

Greg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RoshGlamour Visit RoshGlamour's homepage! Find More Posts by RoshGlamour

Old 08-15-2005, 07:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

My suggestion would be to back it off or fan it. It doesn't necessarily have to have full punch or the specular reflection to be effective. If you have a stand you can do this. You can also use white to give it an 1/8 to a 1/4 punch and put the reflector closer. Sometimes that is all that is needed to get that edge.

Again, hope this helps

J T

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 08-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.63.21

i thnk the black shirt is working against you in the first two. there's no detail in it at all and it kinda comes off as this black void in the middle of each image. #1 would have been greatly improved if you had workd some of that daylight behind her to edge-light her. that would have popped her out of the BG. #2 also seems lacking in terms of highlights to pop her out of the BG. in #3, she definitely needs some fill, especially on her face. some back light would also help separate her from the fountain in the BG.

View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 08-16-2005, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks for the feedback Ron. I just got word today that she likes the photos, so at least that goal was achieved!

Greg

Old 08-16-2005, 08:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thank you very much for the feedback. I really appreciate it!

This may be a tiring question, but I think I can see what you mean about using light to "pop" the subject by way of example in your image in your post. Would you mind describing how you lit it? I want to do that!

Old 08-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.63.21

[ QUOTE ]
Would you mind describing how you lit it? I want to do that!

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing special, it usually requires an assistant holding a reflector. (or a reflector strategically placed on a stand which is even more difficult and cumbersome to pull off)

In the image of Monique, I placed her with the sun to her back and a bit to camera right. An assistant was standing camera left with a fairly large gold reflector bouncing sunlight fill back at her. That gave her a bit more exposure and the gold warmed her and set her apart from the BG which has a lot of blues and whites in it: That's Part One of popping her out. Part Two is the backlit highlights provided by the main source, i.e., the sun. The two combined together provide the "pop."
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 08-18-2005, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

[ QUOTE ]
nothing special, it usually requires an assistant holding a reflector. (or a reflector strategically placed on a stand which is even more difficult and cumbersome to pull off)

In the image of Monique, I placed her with the sun to her back and a bit to camera right. An assistant was standing camera left with a fairly large gold reflector bouncing sunlight fill back at her. That gave her a bit more exposure and the gold warmed her and set her apart from the BG which has a lot of blues and whites in it: That's Part One of popping her out. Part Two is the backlit highlights provided by the main source, i.e., the sun. The two combined together provide the "pop."

[/ QUOTE ]

Great explaination. So, when you reflect light back at her with a gold reflector, how do you keep her from squinting in the too bright light? Could it be the 5-in-1 reflector I have is too shiny and I need something else or is there a technique I am missing? When I tried a test shot today with my wife, the light being reflected was too bright for her and if I moved the reflector off to the side, it did not light her evenly.

Greg