Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
One from the heart. (Jessica)
Old 08-10-2005, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 165.138.209.196

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay, I'm just going to say this straight out. This is my personal favorite of everything that I have shot thus far. I love it, I have gotten many compliments on it. But now I need the real comments. What do you think?

Also, a question for the artistic purists. I am having a showing in October in a small coffee shop. This image is too sheer for the public venue, and I have a version where I simply cloned over the areola. My question is this: Would you as an artist show the cloned G rated version, or not show the image at all? I'm really torn here.

Thanks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan

Re: One from the heart. (Jessica)
Old 08-10-2005, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42141
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to itshowmuch

itshowmuch is offline IP: 66.69.167.52

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

i like the shot a lot; from a technical stand point solid. the only thing i can say is maybe something about the artistic side which is all subjective and cant really be considered constructive; its just another point of view.
like for example the one thing i am torn about is what is the COI? am i supposed to be looking at her eyes her? her top? how great her the curls look on top of the colored top? is this shot a head portrait? a half? i wonder if you couldnt have framed her maybe at an angle or as some say "off the bubble" and backed out a little? or go the other way and crop closer and maybe to a corner? i might have done just her pupils in color and not the whole eye, and also left the top and straps in b&w. all the above is just another perspective. great looking model, lite well and a great looking finished product. its art its supposed to make people think. keep pushing the "shouldnt's and dont's".

the coffee shop crowd shouldnt have a problem with what to me is a shadow of a nipple. but again thats a jugement call between you and the gallery.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to itshowmuch Find More Posts by itshowmuch

Old 08-10-2005, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Michael,

This is a nice shot. The wall is not distracting and actually adds to the image. Have you tried it without the selective blue? She has beautiful eyes indeed, but it just looks a little much to me.

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 08-10-2005, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 70.112.31.251

I'm sorry nothing in this image works for me. My first response was 'this is unnatural'. Your choice to use minimal color and only in certain spots is of course your own, but it does not appeal to me in any way. In fact it made me want to imagine the image as a high contrast b&w because it is without the color a very muted image.

Never mistake the fact that someone who does not strive for great images can positively praise you for an image that will not stand the test of further scrutiny.

JMO and of course they can mean as little or as much as you choose.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 08-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Never mistake the fact that someone who does not strive for great images can positively praise you for an image that will not stand the test of further scrutiny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not talking about me, I hope?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 08-10-2005, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 70.112.31.251

Actually I did not see your post before I posted and actually it would not have mattered. It is evident what your passion is and you share my discomfort with the selective coloring. Also I have seen many images from this exact same session and they all lack contrast to my eye. Finally, I get my nuts banged all the time because people say 'Mike either doesn't critique or he is too soft when he does critique', further evidence that it doesn't matter who you make happy just make yourself happy. What I do now is try and tell people what I wished someone would have told me in the same place in my walk. If someone else has already said it great, I'll keep my mouth shut unless I believe that person needs some extra umph. If others and I have told the person the same thing a couple of times and they ignore it, then I might pile on and say 'hey what don't you get here?' Life is too short to not share your passion to feed someone else's passion, but hey that's JMHO and evryone here knows what a case I am.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 08-10-2005, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Commercial Photographer

Member GG#: 42709

StephenCMW is offline IP: 68.116.197.221

Honestly... I like the image, but hate the selective coloring. I feel the blue top takes my attention away from her, and bring it to the top which isn't nearly as interesting and takes away all the imact of the image if it was just a B&W. The selective coloring is a personal choice, and some will like it, some wont. The part that bothers me the most the coloring is that her eyes are also blue. Not just the pupil, but the whites of her eyes also look blue to me, and thats just unnatural to me. If you cleaned up the whites of the eyes, and lowered the blue on the blouse or eliminate it completely, it would have far more impact for me.

On the gallery issue, if you clone it the image should be perfectly fine, and there is no way anyone could tell its sheer. Thats the only telltale I can see.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StephenCMW Visit StephenCMW's homepage! Find More Posts by StephenCMW

Old 08-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks man. I had a hard time sleeping last night. Now, I can rest easy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2005, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45074

PrimeJive is offline IP: 69.139.203.180

Keep in mind that the purpose of having a subjec look away from the camera is to avoid the eye contact with the viewer thus creating the reaction that Jeff had: examine the rest of the subject, albeit, hair mouth skin, etc. In that sense and because of jeff's post we can say that the portrait is succesful at that.
I would have preffered that her head would not have been tilted back so that we would not see so much into her nostrils and to have cropped it a little lower to allow more 'breathing' room to her breast. It seems like they are resting on the rdge of the frame and this makes the model look a little overweight since she was blessed with a good pair of commodities there. Remember that our clients always expect to be glamorized.
Jose
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PrimeJive Visit PrimeJive's homepage! Find More Posts by PrimeJive