Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
More Jessica Less Wall.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 165.138.209.196

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Actually no wall. These were shot during the same shoot as the photos from my last batch of Jessica postings. I was trying to get away from my comfort zone and shoot her out in the open a bit more. During this set I really felt like I was a fish out of water, I kept wanting to go back to the garage and shoot in there.

So for those who think i've developed tunnel vision or narrow mindedness, or the dreaded narrow tunnel minded vision disease, I say that I am trying.

Any comments, suggestions, hints, or prophecies you might have would be happily appreciated.

MT

Let the beatings begin! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan

Re: More Jessica Less Wall.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37039
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to cdnmoosey Send a message via MSN to cdnmoosey Send a message via Yahoo to cdnmoosey

cdnmoosey is offline IP: 65.113.50.99

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Good job Titan! Its cool to see people pushing themselves. Its also nice to see the lovely Jessica again. My suggestions would be to:

1. try to make the background work with the subject. In this case the brightly lit grass competes for the viewers attention. I find the last two images you posted to be more effective because the lighting is not competing as much with Jessica.

2. vary your position in relation to the model.

This is really helpful for me too so keep posting. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cdnmoosey Visit cdnmoosey's homepage! Find More Posts by cdnmoosey

Old 08-10-2005, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

wow... you know something... you're right. I shot all these from the exact same positiong. Almost straight on. Making 2065th mental note. Do not shoot every single shot from straight on.

Thanks for pointing that out. I really hadn't noticed it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan

Old 08-10-2005, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 68.72.13.140

Details details details.... watch the details. Messy hair but not in a way that makes me think it is what you were going for. Hair poking out around the sides of her. The other things mentioned are tru as well.

as for the background... look at the shadow area behind her. You could have put he back there and had the darker background and it wouldnt have been competeing with her.

View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 08-10-2005, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42141
Send a message via Yahoo to itshowmuch

itshowmuch is offline IP: 66.69.167.52

you cant get tired of looking at jessica. shes fabulous. to go along with the other comment. you might have tried to really seperate her from the bushes in the back; increase you DOF a lot. break out a lens combo and check a DOF calculator, you want a DOF(front to back)of no more than 24". maybe try a longer lens and open that up as much as you can (f2.8 or less). something rolando loves to do (trick you can read in his articles) is he puts his 50mm f1.8 with a TC on his camera, it ends up being a 140mm prime lens on his olympus. hard to beat that combo, also that would get you more into foot zoom mode and moving around her while she works a pose. not like you cant PS some blurred BG, but every time you can do something to avoid PS then do it.

keep shooting her!! lol.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to itshowmuch Find More Posts by itshowmuch

Old 08-10-2005, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions and advice, as far as "keep shooting her" goes, Jessica is KILLING ME!!! She's moving to an apartment complex this weekend, and I'm losing the private backyard, and that amazing garage (I know some would say that losing the garage as a place to shoot is a good thing) and now we'll have to find another location. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Old 08-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Dude,

Much better than before. I don't typically like to shoot the armpits, just nto attractive to me. The smile is great. 4th shot has real promise! A tighter crop would have been nicer!

Please keep up the work and keep shooting. No hard feelings from before, eh? The wall wasn't the issue. I actually encourage you to go back to wall and create something new.

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 08-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Michael,

You are getting visibly better each time out, dude. I have a little technique thing you might be able to make use of. This goes to the point about all the shots having the same basic distance and feel.

When you're shooting half or three quarter body shots next time, hit one, take a quick step right or left while zooming in on the model's face as tightly as you can, say something clever like 'smile' or whatever and shoot a second shot almost right away.

If you get the rhythm right the close up can have a bump in energy from the three quarter shot and by moving like that, and zooming, you keep the model in the camera with you and you also open up all sorts of new angles, light paths, what have you.

Might be worth a try.

Shannon

View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Old 08-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Commercial Photographer

Member GG#: 42709

StephenCMW is offline IP: 68.116.197.221

You've just taken a good step getting out of your comfort zone. Do that enough, and you will feel just as comfortable outside in the open as you do against the wall.

This kind of tags on earlier comments regarding your depth of field. Very simply, use longer lenses, move back to still get a good 3/4 or full length shot, and rack that aperture wide open. The image below shot with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens at 200mm f2.8. Note the nice pleasing background and how it doesn't fight for attention as it does in your images. If you had done something similar, eliminating the bright grass, and blurring the background, the images would have far greater impact and I think you would be very pleased with the results.

Also, note the tonal values below. Not real bright, nor real dark, but seems to match fairly well with the tonal values of the image. You get that by matching the same lighting for the background and subject. You got the bright grass because your exposure was set for the model it the shade, and the bright sun was exposing the grass. The grass really needs a couple stops less exposure, so they just 'blew out' on you. The bushes behind her in the shade are properly exposed, darker, and don't compete.

Try this next time you are out. Find a building that is fairly long, and has one side in total shade. Position the model in the shade, and line yourself up so that when you frame her in the viewfinder, all of the background is also in shade, and at least 20-30' away if possible. The more distance the more the background will be blurred. Then use a long lens (somewhere around 200mm), and open up the aperture to its widest aperture (ie, f2.8, or f3.5, etc). If you shoot auto, use Aperture Auto mode. Focus and shoot. The background will rarely compete with the model if you do this, it will be average in tones, and have a nice blur to it. The rest will all be up to the model and your directing her.

And move around. My feet are rarely still when I shoot. I move in, back, crouch down, climb up on a ladder, lay on my stomach, etc. Just watch the background as you move and keep it in a shady area.

You are making progress every time we see new posts. Awesome dude!

Most importantly. Have fun, and let us see the results [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to StephenCMW Visit StephenCMW's homepage! Find More Posts by StephenCMW

Old 08-12-2005, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.209.88

Well, I'm pretty late on this one, but I just wanted to say it's good too see you get away from your comfort zone, i.e. wall! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Looks like you're continually improving (not because you moved away from the wall, but just improving in general). Keep it up dude.

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley