Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
My First REAL Shoot...
Old 07-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.86.148

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

OK , I am finally going to post my own personal , not a workshop , can't blame anyone but me photos
Let me have it...
(more to come after I get time to edit some)

Nikon D100 28-70 2.8
#1 & #2 - natural light only
#3 & #4 - novatron 240's with crappy softbox by westcott

I have a hard time taking the camera out of point-an-shoot mode
( that is what the "P" stands for isn't it ?? )
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Re: My First REAL Shoot...
Old 07-14-2005, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Stan,

On the first two the skin around her mouth looks like you missed a few spots. She looks great but look close above her upper lip and tell me if I'm going blind or not.

The red dress on the couch feels kind of snap shot-ish. A nice snap shot, but not a whole lot to the picture IMO.

The fourth one Nicole put up a while ago, I think it got a fair number of comments, I'm not really a big fan of that look without a darker lighting type look and a whole lot more eye makeup, you know, mysterious middle eastern beauty or whatever.

All in all nicely done and points are earned, I think, for taking the plunge and putting your own stuff up for the world to trample.

Best,

Shannon
my web site

View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Old 07-15-2005, 02:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 208.63.160.125

First off, just wanted to say congratulations on your shoot! I'm still stoked over mine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (And I still got five or six rolls to develop! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

I think Shannon pretty well covered things... only other thing I could think of is I'd maybe like to see a little more of the hat in the first two. You know, just a little bit. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

All in all great effort! Keep at it -- but don't leave me behind like Don has!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Sam

View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 07-15-2005, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

StanTom is offline IP: 24.154.175.152

Thanks for taking the tike to comment on the pics
#1&2 I see what you mean about the upper lip
I guess I need more practice with editing( good reason to post here)
I only touched up a few things on this one( dark spots under eyes, slight wrinkle in the turned neck, stray hair here and there)

#3 Snapshotish ? Do you think so because of the surroundings ( if it was JUST the couch it would have worked ? ) I can taken worse snapshots , trust me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

#4 I really wanted the hollywood glamourshot , but Had no idea how to do it with the softbox and daylight , totally my fault on that one ( I am assuming I would need a barndoor setup or narrow light source AND practice)
PS we only did the shoot 5 days ago , she could not have had it posted THAT long
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Old 07-15-2005, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

StanTom is offline IP: 24.154.175.152

You had to bring up Don didn't you !
I had to post these because he keeps making those leaps and bounds

If Nicole had longer hair we could have tried pigtails [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I seem to have a problem focusing on that little sensor in the viewfinder and forgetting about how much of the rest is or isn't still in frame
( there was no more hat to leave in the photo [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

Thanks for the input
Stan

Old 07-15-2005, 11:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Stan,

I think what I meant when I said 'snap shot-ish' is that there's not a whole lot to the shot other than a pretty girl in a red dress. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the picture.

To me (and this is only my opinion) it looks like a girl who was sitting there, someone pulled out a camera, she stuck one hand on her hip (kind of uncomfortably) and sat up real straight and you shot it, there's no sense that you worked to find something in the moment, it's just a picture, that's what I mean (I think).

Hey, it's your first shoot, you got nothing to be sorry about. The shot in the hat works really well. The wrapped head scarf thing works, I would have lit her a little more mysteriously was the only comment I had.

Sheesh, two out of three keepers? I wish my ratio was that high.

I've said this to a couple of other guys on these boards (and I'm pretty sure it's a minority opinion here) but...don't get too hung up on shooting 'models' early on. Shoot friends and family, co-workers, whatever. You know some pretty girls who'll let you shoot with them. You know some guys, too. And kids will ALWAYS mug for a camera.

There's so stinking much to learn. Anyone and everyone you work with will teach you something.

Try to work with as much freedom to experiment and as little pressure as possible, you'll get better a lot faster.

You're brave to have posted, though, I give you serious tough guy points for that.

Shannon
  View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Old 07-16-2005, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.52.214

I see what you mean about the pose
See , that is why people need to post pics for critiques
How else are you supposed to learn to take better shots if no one points out any flaws of minor changes that could be made

When I took that workshop last year , I was basically just a GWC trying to figure out the studio light stuff, BUT what I got out of the workshop was that I needed to work on my communication / interaction(directing) to/with the model

On this shoot , since it was ALL up to me,worrying about the setup , exposure , background , etc. I managed to forget about the one thing I needed to practice. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

As far as shooting friends and family, I have had a camera with me for about 20 years, NOBODY smiles when they see me coming with my camera bag
I barely get to take snapshots and family gatherings anymore
( that is where I get all my snapshot practice, hard habit to break , I guess ) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 07-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 208.63.160.125

[ QUOTE ]
If Nicole had longer hair we could have tried pigtails [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh gosh... I guess everyone knows about my pigtail fetish by now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 07-16-2005, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

I havent read the other posts...but I like 1 and 2...and Im really digging 3!
4 not so much..the pose isnt the best and Im not a big fan of scarfed heads.
JMO

Don.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 69.247.193.169

Stan:

I have to agree and disagree with Shannon on a few points. Friends and family are a good source of practice but they get burnt out quick and the quality of the images aren’t the same.

Inexperienced models should be your substitute for family and friends. While you are practicing your lighting techniques you will also be practicing your posing and personal interactions. Friends and family don’t know how to pose and inexperienced models don’t either. Well, some do, but you practice your personal interactions by giving posing directions, like you would to friends and family.

You should shoot a few more professional models so you can set a benchmark for your present skill level as a photographer. You’ll find you have more time to make sure your lighting is right because you don’t have to spend the time posing the model. The professional model is there to help you get the best images you can achieve, can drop into a pose at your slightest clue and the quality of your images dramatically increases in proportion to the skill level of the model.

When you can make an inexperienced model look like your benchmark images, then go back to your friends and family for “practice sessions�. When they see the increased quality of your images, they’ll send you clients.

I agree with Shannon on #1 (lip) but would add blending the uneven shadows from her nose onto her cheek and by her eye. Print it and put it your portfolio.

While #3 is technically a good image, it just doesn’t work. It’s too sexy for a full length portrait and not sexy enough for glamour. You hit that spot right in between them.

#4 doesn’t work for me. The black scarf under her arm makes her upper arm look “chubby�. Her hand positions are in a standard glamour position in what should be a more of a “dramatic� image. It would still contain the same flaws if you shot this in 50’s or 60’s and editors would pass on it, but you did capture the “look� of that period. Good work.

If your budget doesn’t include barn doors, then you can do what I do and use cardboard. I have two sets of barn doors but I also have cardboard and duct tape on hand for a third set if I need it.

My advice? Go with two more pro's, then a few "intermediate" models then a friend.

Rick D.

View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6