Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Try and Try Again
Old 07-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fotografir

Member GG#: 43187
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Fotografir

Fotografir is offline IP: 66.153.158.51

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

After my last post I wish to thank those that critiqued my picture. I don't mind the criticism but at least give me the ways to correct my previous blunders. I am new to the glamour photos and came here for guidance not just whats wrong with it. Look at this one and offer suggestions for improving. Thanks again for your replies. My posts have not been altered in any way as how can I change what I dont know is wrong?
fotografir@msn.com [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fotografir Visit Fotografir's homepage! Find More Posts by Fotografir

The first step in fixing a problem. . .
Old 07-07-2005, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.186.203.100

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

is knowing there is a problem. It isn't always easy to tell some one how to go forth and don't do it again. Especially when one is not sure how you got there in the first place. For instance: your model has wrinkles in her neck. Without being there I doubt I can tell you how to fix it in twenty words or less but if I point it out then next time you can be aware if it and try to pose her in a way that will eliminate, de-emphasize or hide the problem. . . if in fact you see it as a problem.
One of the best learning tools is belonging to a local club where one can network with like minded folks and build from there. And don't underestimate the internet and the google search. Tons of info out there.

View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Re: Try and Try Again
Old 07-08-2005, 01:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42634
My Mood:

MannyR is offline IP: 24.218.237.127

The only things I can see "wrong" are:

Dark areas under the eyes.
Her neck is turned too much, creating hard lines in her neck.
She has some visible lines on her face.
Skin tone is a little "off".

I hope you don't mind, but I created an edited version of your image that shows the difference. If you have any objection, please let me know and I will remove it immediately.

Also, I am aware that I am breaking forum rules by not also posting an image of my own for critique. All the images I have at the moment are out of date. I have two shoots scheduled for next month, and if everything goes as planned, I won't keep breaking this rule. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to MannyR Visit MannyR's homepage! Find More Posts by MannyR

Re: Try and Try Again
Old 07-08-2005, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42634
My Mood:

MannyR is offline IP: 24.218.237.127

Fotografir, here's a step-by-step example of what I did to the picture. I use Paint Shop Pro 9, but you should be able to do all of this in Photoshop Elements 3.0 too.

1) Open the image, and then duplicate the layer. Now select the upper layer.
2) Using the clone brush, I set it's parameters to:

Size: 20
Hardness: 0
Density: 100
Thickness: 100
Rotation: 0
Opacity:50
Blend Mode: Normal
Stroke: Continuous + Aligned Mode

I selected a sample area just above her cheek and cloned it into the area just under the eye.

3) Do the same for the neck area. Decrease the size of the brush so you can select from the area between the creases (10 works fine. Zoom into the image to make it easier to edit).

4) Using the Digital Camera Noise removal tool in PSP9, move the selection boxes so that it's over her skin. By default, the tool automatically tries to select the low, med, and high intensity points in the image. Set the correction blend to 55.0, and the sharpening to 1.0.

5) Use the unsharp mask tool to sharpen the image. I used radius 2.00 / strength 75 / clipping 5 for settings.

6) One quirk of the noise removal tool is that it can make hair look like it's stuck together. To get around that, on the upper layer use the eraser tool and erase the hair. Hide the lower layer so you can see what areas you've already erased. You don't have to be very exact, but I recommend that you don't go too far towards the edges of the hair.

7) Unhide the lower layer, and the final image should look like this:

In all, it took about 5 minutes to fix the image. It's the digital camera noise removal tool that does most of the hard work in removing the skin blemishes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

*Note: I only resized the pictures afterwards so it'd be easier to post. I left the picture at it's original size while editing it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MannyR Visit MannyR's homepage! Find More Posts by MannyR